Left my lights on, now car wont start?

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me figure out this problem. I left the lights on in my car last night and it killed the battery. Now im trying to jump start it off my explorer and it turns over good but it wont start? The 1st 2 times I tried to jump it this morning it ran for 1 sec and then shuts off. Now it wont even do that, there actually a smell comming from the engine thats kind of bad. Dosent smell like gasoline I dont know what it is. For now I just left the hood open, maybe the engine is flooded? Seems like its a computer glitch? I dont know to much about cars as far as tecinaicall issues..maybe someone can help? My car has never had 1 problem it ran perfect. Thanks for any help
Martin

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how old is the battery? It's possible that the complete drain caused the battery to fail. You'll likely just need a new battery.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried the alarm reset yes....if what u mean by that is holding the 2 buttons down till the horn beeps.....yup i tried that still no luck!!! worse comes to worse i can take it to tators cause its still under warrenty. any other ideas...im actually gonna try jumping it again

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
arggggg im still trying to start it and it wont start!maybe ill try charging the battery instead of jump starting it....there is this awful smell comming from the car....its a gassy smell but its not gas i dont know what it is. Does this make any sence? Its finally a nice day out here in MA no snow and my car wont start! Im goin nuts!

prm06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your battery was totally dead then you need to charge it before you try to jump it. Also if it is extremely low then you will need a heavy duty pair of jumper cables to get enough current to the car to start it.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
once you drain an optima battery completely, a normal chargeing system will not charge it because the plates are son dense and compact. you will have to pull it out and charge it with a bigger charger. I had the same problem in my 2000 GTS. I left the light on and couldn't get it to start. I put in a new interstate and fired right up. Optima's are great batteries untill youi drain them dead, then they are a ***** to try and charge.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the place I bought the optima from and that is what they told me, they also told me to hook up another battery (doesnt have to be another optima) parallel with my dead battery and that will in a way jump start the dead optima to take a charge. I tried it and it works like a champ.

Wolf Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to reset the security system with your key. With the battery fully charged lock and unlock your car with the key.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Martin, what I meant on the alarm was to use your key on the alarm switch in "glove box" located in the console between the seats...and, of course, you will need a full charge in the battery or via BIG cables from another battery source to start car...suggest that you do NOT jump the car with another car whose engine is running if you can avoid same.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok its mid night now and my car still wont start. This is what I have done today. I let the car charger charge the battery and it did charge it up because the car turns over real good but still wont start. I hoked up my portable jump starter to the car on top of an already charged up battery and it still wont start. I reset my alarm again and still nothing.
Steve Indy Im lost with what your talkin about??? Wheres the alarm switch? I looked in the center console glove box I didnt see anything. The gas is on empty, but im sure there is at least 4 gallons or so in there. Maybe ill fill up a 5 gallon container tomorrow morning and fill up the car with some more gas. Any one know what this weird fumes im smelling is???? It only errupts when I try to start the car. Gee I hope I wont have to tow it to Tators, but that would give me an excuse for a few more mods.....haha any other suggestions? Thanks for everything so far I really appreciate it!

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the red 10 amp fuse in the trunk next to the radio amp on the drivers side. There is a black fuse box with a relays and one red 10 amp fuse. It pops sometimes when charging the battery and will stop the fuel pump from working.

Does the fuel pump come on when you turn the key? Also have someone put there hand on the relay next to the red fuse when you turn the can on and they should feel it cycle on.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had this problem. If the motor cranks well enought to start and actually starts for a second or so, your primary problem is the alarm shut-off. When the batter is dead or weak, the alarm resets. Make sure to unlock the alarm immediately prior to attempting to start the car.

Then you will need to check your battery for continued use.

(Thanks Chuck ;) )

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wheres the alarm switch? I looked in the center console glove box I didnt see anything.

If you haven't found it yet, it's on the inner top of the glovebox. Open it and look up inside. It's a key cylinder. I had no idea it was there also. I found it described in either the owners manual or the shop manual.

Hope this helps,
Santo

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I ASSUMED that the Viper is a 2000 based on your avitar...and, therefore, would expect to find a key lock behind the storage compartment door found on the vertical part of the console between the seat backs, noting that the actual lock is in the "roof" of that storage box...this is present on Gen II's from 1998 to 2002...UNLESS a prior owner removed same. There are also several other things that come to mind...including the gas situation that you have identified.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with mine. Turned out to be a faulty battery. Once I replaced the battery I had no more problems.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Wow I never knew there was a alarm reset in the center glove box, pretty cool. I put the key in and turned it left and righta couple times. Then tried to start it and still didnt work. I did the alarm reset on the fob also and still nothing. I snowed big time today so I didnt make it to the gas staion to fill up a couple tanks, hope fully its the fact that the car is out of gas. I just find it not possible because I only drove 130 miles on this tank however it is on empty. Thanks for all the help so far Ill keep you guys poseted on the out come.

One question...how do i know the alarm is reset by using that reset in the glove box? Am i suposed to just turn it left and right a few times???

Thanks
Martin

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The shop manual states: "Insert the key and turn to disarm the system". It doesn't indicated left or right. Sorry.

Santo

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks santo for the update, im goin to the gas station to fill up some jugs be right back with the verdict!

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grrrrrrr filled up the car, it did that run for about 1 sec and then shut off. Still no start what a pain!!! What sequence should I do everything in?? Like should i reset the FOB? and then reset the alarm in the glove box? and when resetting the alarm in the glovebox what was should I turn it because it goes both ways.. I really want to save a trip to Tators... If anything I wanna go to Tators in the summer not the winter :( Any Ideas? Damn all this cause I left thr lights on!

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disarming without transmitter:

1. GTS: Open the liftgate with the ignition key
1. RT/10: Unlock and remove the rear window

2. Reach in through the opening and pull down on the manual door latch lever to open the door.

3. Insert the key and turn to disarm the system.

That's it. There's nothing more. The only thing you can try is using the manual door latch first in case that triggers something but I doubt it. It's worth a try though.

Hope this helps,
Santo

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, at this point there are still several open questions...far too many to cover here. Good time to call Chuck for help. Sorry that you don't have a listed e-mail address.

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had the exact same problem with my 2000 rt/10. replaced the battery with a new one and it fired right up. optima batteries usually won't come back after being killed. all my vehicles have them. i've tried to charge them, but it was a waste of time. seems the viper needs a lot more juice to start other than just cranking it over.

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
also the gas smell is likely to be you flooding the car while cranking. enough juice to crank and pump fuel, but not enough to run the ignition. when i had the same prob i didn't reset the alarm. it just needed a new battery. good luck.

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the positive cable under the hood for 30 seconds to a minute and then reinstall the cable, then try and restart. My 96 gts did this once and that is the only way i was able to get it out of theft mode

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I have tried everything still no luck im gonna recheck the relays and the fuses under the hood, I also spoke with Chuck today and he told me to disconnect the positve cable on the battery and scratch it on the battery tray for 10 seconds. The is suposed to get the car to reset everything. He said its the only way to do it unless you have Dodge hook up the computer thingy. And I refuse to take it to Dodge..unless its Tators of course. So Ill try that tomorrow morrning hope fully it works. Its so cold outside grrrrrr.