the hood, well it just doesn't get much better then that coming from factory
to showroom floor. :2tu:

MAG covers say it all - BITE ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :nana:

TOM

VIPER KING OF THE HILL AGAIN :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "new" design is just the old design with some ******. I want something new...

This isn't king of anything until it gets into our hands, and by then, who knows what else is out there?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think its good they bumped the HP. I know some wanted ALL NEW, but I think this is good for now. And everyone is already talking about the Corvette Blue devil orSS or whatever its called if its made. So what if it makes 650 and Viper only makes 600hp. The Vette wll be Supercharged and the Viper isnt from the factory. So go spend $10k and have probably 750hp with a paxton. That will kill a Vette. The Hp wars will always go on and on,soon we will be like motorcycles in Moto Gp where our power surpasses what the tires can handle.

I 'll still take the Viper anyday right now, for its exclusiveness. You dont see one on every corner like a Vette.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "new" design is just the old design with some ******. I want something new...

I suspect you have been reading the same rumors on these (and many other) forums for some time now. Did you honestly expect a completely redesigned car for 2008? All along people have been reporting engine redesign (a couple even pinpointing the VVT) with a new hood and fascia. Few (if any) mentioned the many other improvements on this car. However most said an actual redesign of the car itself was still a ways off:

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB21&Number=734877

I sure as heck am not going to knock what was "unveiled" (officially or not) over the past couple days. It's pretty damn exciting to 99.999% of the automotive world.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I suspect you have been reading the same rumors on these (and many other) forums for some time now. Did you honestly expect a completely redesigned car for 2008? All along people have been reporting engine redesign (a couple even pinpointing the VVT) with a new hood and fascia. Few (if any) mentioned the many other improvements on this car. However most said an actual redesign of the car itself was still a ways off:

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB21&Number=734877

I sure as heck am not going to knock what was "unveiled" (officially or not) over the past couple days. It's pretty damn exciting to 99.999% of the automotive world.

Did I say I was suprised by the lack of creativity? No. I just said I wanted something new. More slots on the hood doesn't quite cut it. What's under the hood is quite impressive though.

99.99% is a bit over the top. There are people who could care less, and not .01% either. The stupid BlueDevil will get as much, if not more press when it's announced.

At least this makes for an interesting time in performance cars.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the car and the extra-exclusivity being offered (more colors, interior/exterior and stripe options as well as wheel options) mean that all of our cars will be even that MUCH MORE exclusive than they are now.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with warfang that a re-design would have been nice. but if you think about it, the gen III design has only been around for a few years now, so it really shouldnt be a big suprise.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with warfang that a re-design would have been nice. but if you think about it, the gen III design has only been around for a few years now, so it really shouldnt be a big surprise.

Very true: The Gen I/II design was virtually unchanged for eleven years other than the hood, horsepower, and adding a coupe (sound familiar?). It wasn't a sales homerun by any means, but was the halo car for both Dodge and Chrysler. This is the fifth year of SRT production (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, & 2008) and the model line is about on par with prior Viper sales. And my personal feeling is that the "halo" role has been strongly reinforced with this latest version. You may sell a boatload of new Sebrings, but you won't see it featured on too many magazine covers...

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This isn't king of anything until it gets into our hands, and by then, who knows what else is out there?

No offense intended, but you probably wouldn't have liked the "something new" either.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with warfang that a re-design would have been nice. but if you think about it, the gen III design has only been around for a few years now, so it really shouldnt be a big suprise.

Correct. I'm not expecting any real design changes until at least 2010. It would be financially insane to have the srtc be a one year design.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600hp has officially spelled "retirement" for my old 97. There is no way I'm gonna dump more money into a 10 year old outdated car to try and keep pace with an 08 Viper or Vette around 3 miles of track.

It has been a great ride #34, thanks for the memories but your days are numbered.

Bring on the 08.

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn man dont do number 34 like that...You treay her like a wife who was smoking hot when she was 30 but now thats she's 42 and her knees are saggin that she isnt up to parr any more?????? And your now gonna trade her in for some fine 26 year old?????

Wheres the love man..Wheres the love

I must admit though...Based on every magazine/ actual owner stock drag slip time that ive ever read...

my old 99 rt10 did seam to be within 1-2 tenths and 1-2 mph of the 510 HP SRT10....Close enough that I chose the 99 for it's looks...

But I dont think anyone will be choosing a gen two over the 08 based on looks. It's gonna be to much faster..

It's one thing to choose an gen 2 over a gen 3...Your comparing a car that can do 12.2 at 118 all day with an average driver to a car that can do 12.0 at 120 all day with an average driver....

12.2 at 118 all day is gonna look pretty limp wristed to the 11.4 at 127 that I beleave the 08 viper will do all day...

But Im still keeping my 40 year old..LOL

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
600hp has officially spelled "retirement" for my old 97. There is no way I'm gonna dump more money into a 10 year old outdated car to try and keep pace with an 08 Viper or Vette around 3 miles of track.

It has been a great ride #34, thanks for the memories but your days are numbered.

Bring on the 08.

Can I have your used brake rotors then?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But Im still keeping my 40 year old..LOL

True love never dies, I'll be keeping her until the end. The babe even more beautiful today than when I first got her, it is just unfair to expect her to do something she can no longer do. :)

No Carl, you can't have my rotors. I've still got another year or two before the upgrade.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
12.2 at 118 all day is gonna look pretty limp wristed to the 11.4 at 127 that I beleave the 08 viper will do all day...

That sounds about right with OEM tires. ******** a set of drag radials and put a tallented driver behind the wheel and you've g0t 10.8s.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a most excellent source on this new motor. He told me that this motor can be bumped to over 900HP (NA)........maintaining all of the basic components. Would not elaborate on specifics...but said the Viper will not be bested in HP ever again...by a domestic manufacturer.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a most excellent source on this new motor. He told me that this motor can be bumped to over 900HP (NA)........maintaining all of the basic components. Would not elaborate on specifics...but said the Viper will not be bested in HP ever again...by a domestic manufacturer.

Blue Devil, shmevil... :2tu:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would not elaborate on specifics...but said the Viper will not be bested in HP ever again...by a domestic manufacturer.

Thats a BOLD statement to make. You can never say never. :buttkick:

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would not elaborate on specifics...but said the Viper will not be bested in HP ever again...by a domestic manufacturer.

I guarantee you that the current HP wars will end before the new motor ever comes close to its max. Lots of stuff going on right now, that can change the face of high HP motors in our great country for a long time to come. We are at the end of the wars...not the beginning. If you ran GM..or Chevrolet...would you continue to pour money into a situation you cannot win? I believe that this motor and its capabilities will itself douse the flame of our competition.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guarantee you that the current HP wars will end before the new motor ever comes close to its max. Lots of stuff going on right now, that can change the face of high HP motors in our great country for a long time to come. We are at the end of the wars...not the beginning. If you ran GM..or Chevrolet...would you continue to pour money into a situation you cannot win? I believe that this motor and its capabilities will itself douse the flame of our competition.

this mantra has been chanted for years (with a wink and a nod of course)...after owning 5 Vipers and watching Chevrolet run it up our backsides with the C6 Z06, I think claiming "victory" is ill timed.

I want a car that makes me want to sell my FGT...this is not it...but the Concept GTSR could be.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great point and I have to agree. I just finished viewing the " Inconvinient Truth " while news of the new Viper was released. I can;t help but think that other world factors will change the cars we drive.

Oh hell............., lets enjoy it while we can :2tu: :2tu:
Patrick

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

this mantra has been chanted for years (with a wink and a nod of course)...after owning 5 Vipers and watching Chevrolet run it up our backsides with the C6 Z06, I think claiming "victory" is ill timed.

I want a car that makes me want to sell my FGT...this is not it...but the Concept GTSR could be.

Different strokes. For me...after 14 years of Viper ownership, this is one of the highlights. A car that looks great, will outperform the competition, and has the capability to move on up if needed. So you want a 95k car that appeals more to you than your 160k+ FGT? Don't quite get that...but it will outperform your GT, in stock trim.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Different strokes. For me...after 14 years of Viper ownership, this is one of the highlights. A car that looks great, will outperform the competition, and has the capability to move on up if needed. So you want a 95k car that appeals more to you than your 160k+ FGT? Don't quite get that...but it will outperform your GT, in stock trim.

outperform my GT? At this point, the car consists of pictures on a newstand magazine and you are already crowning it king of all cars. :rolleyes:

Exactly how do you gauge performance?

Wave the flag while you can, continue ignoring Lutz's Corvette Blue Devil/SS and continue to win all those "races" from the keyboard and in your mind.

You don't "get" that I want Dodge to put out a product that blows away the competition in power AND styling as they did back when the GEN I/II ruled?

As for the price difference, I thought only rice owners turned threads like these into "bang for the buck" ******* contests.

And as for my GT...It's just a Ford, built at a time when they are more destitute than DC and they managed to pull it off...just as Dodge did in 1992 with the original Viper.

I hope by GEN IV, Dodge will figure out how to put out the entire package...I just hope it is time.

I want the Viper back on top...in styling as well as power. The power increase is a step in the right direction but they still have some work to do...playing catch up to Chevrolet is just embarrassing.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I If you ran GM..or Chevrolet...would you continue to pour money into a situation you cannot win? I believe that this motor and its capabilities will itself douse the flame of our competition.

What the F.....??

What makes you think Ford or GM can't up the ante? Ford is coming out with it's new Supercar based off the Daytona Coupe and GM with the "Blue Devil" Vette.

Very strong words to one say it will not only beat the current Z06 when no performance data as yet to be published and then to boldly say it's a losing battle for Ford and GM all based on a *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you want a 95k car that appeals more to you than your 160k+ FGT? Don't quite get that...but it will outperform your GT, in stock trim.

As this is based on WHAT???

Speculation??

I ask because I don't see any performace testing? How 'bout lets wait to see what it does before talking smack and not Magazine race. :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you want a 95k car that appeals more to you than your 160k+ FGT? Don't quite get that...but it will outperform your GT, in stock trim.

Speculation??

I ask because I don't see any performace testing? How 'bout lets wait to see what it does before talking smack and not Magazine race. :rolleyes:

What performance testing do you need? When "the new Z06" was announced everyone had it beating the Viper a year before the first rivet was snapped in. In fact, if this site had decent search functionality I could probably find an exact quote from you.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I If you ran GM..or Chevrolet...would you continue to pour money into a situation you cannot win? I believe that this motor and its capabilities will itself douse the flame of our competition.

What the F.....??

What makes you think Ford or GM can't up the ante? Ford is coming out with it's new Supercar based off the Daytona Coupe and GM with the "Blue Devil" Vette.

Very strong words to one say it will not only beat the current Z06 when no performance data as yet to be published and then to boldly say it's a losing battle for Ford and GM all based on a *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*.

I think Ford scrapped plans for the GR-1 (Daytona Coupe copy). Too bad too... I would have bought one.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

outperform my GT? At this point, the car consists of pictures on a newstand magazine and you are already crowning it king of all cars. :rolleyes:

Exactly how do you gauge performance?

Wave the flag while you can, continue ignoring Lutz's Corvette Blue Devil/SS and continue to win all those "races" from the keyboard and in your mind.

You don't "get" that I want Dodge to put out a product that blows away the competition in power AND styling as they did back when the GEN I/II ruled?

As for the price difference, I thought only rice owners turned threads like these into "bang for the buck" ******* contests.

And as for my GT...It's just a Ford, built at a time when they are more destitute than DC and they managed to pull it off...just as Dodge did in 1992 with the original Viper.

I hope by GEN IV, Dodge will figure out how to put out the entire package...I just hope it is time.

I want the Viper back on top...in styling as well as power. The power increase is a step in the right direction but they still have some work to do...playing catch up to Chevrolet is just embarrassing.

It will best the GT in all but Top end. Power to weight. We are having a discussion on a car that will be available in 6 months. It is done. Is it out now? Of course not. I just did not begin to understand your statement that it wasn't a car you would sell your GT for. My point was ....of course not. It is a sub 100k car that is a great looking car, but not an FGT. If you are looking for a Viper that will make you want to sell your GT...the '08 Viper, '09 Viper, 2010 Viper probably won't do it.

PS I own 3 FGT's, including a stock car and a 1000RWHP car. There isn't a Viper on the horizon that would make me want to sell one. The GT is done forever...no more. It can easily be bested performance wise...as the new Viper will do, but there are other things that go into the GT.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Speculation??

I own FGT's....calm yourself down.lol. The new Viper will best a stock FGT in all but top end. I know how close my current Vipers are to my FGT's performance, so why would you think another 85 to the wheels won't turn the tide. Hell...I have a 595HP '06 Viper....502 at the wheels...that runs better 1320 times than my Gt's. No mystery here. Do your homework.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Wow, put down the crack pipe and step away! Don't get too cocky yet. At least let the performance figures come out for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang