Let me see your Roll Bars VERT only

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see anyones photos of there roll bars . I am looking to put the Autoform one in over the winter. I realy dont like the looks of them that much but if I want to track the car Im gonna have too do it. I just dont see why nobody can create an OEM look for the vert thats gives the safety and form. Anyway I would like to see anybodys photos with painted - unpainted any make whatever. Thanks:eater:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon the later version from Autoform places the crossbar below the trim panel. Just the roll hoops showing. I have the earlier version (which you saw at Gingerman)

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who makes the one what has the bar connecting the two roll bar hoops? After talking to some people, and seeing pictures, this past weekend who wrecked their Viper while driving down the street, I'm going to have one installed just for safety reasons.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are pictures of my Autoform rollbar. I got the rollbar through Jon B at Partsrack who gave me a good price:

6_12_08_RCL_2008_Viper_w_Belanger_System_026.JPG

Timberline_2_01_08_Near_Completion_09.JPG

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are pictures of my Autoform rollbar. I got the rollbar through Jon B at Partsrack who gave me a good price:

6_12_08_RCL_2008_Viper_w_Belanger_System_026.JPG

Timberline_2_01_08_Near_Completion_09.JPG

Yea those are the best looking ones I have seen. So the bar that goes accross is now under the panel? Thats a bonus for sure. So what do you think of them compared to the look of the OEM ones. Did you like the look after install or other? Yours is the first I have seen with the boot on over the convertible top and that looks good. I wondered if that still fit on or not.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcl4668, do you have a photo of the door open. I want to see what the lower part looks like, where it attaches and if it inhibits ingress/egress from the vehicle. thnaks

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea those are the best looking ones I have seen. So the bar that goes accross is now under the panel? Thats a bonus for sure. So what do you think of them compared to the look of the OEM ones. Did you like the look after install or other? Yours is the first I have seen with the boot on over the convertible top and that looks good. I wondered if that still fit on or not.

Shandon --

Yes, the cross member now goes under the panel. I like the look of the rollbar and it does not interfere with the opening/closing of the convertible top or any other aspect of the top mechanism or boot cover.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcl4668, do you have a photo of the door open. I want to see what the lower part looks like, where it attaches and if it inhibits ingress/egress from the vehicle. thnaks

The Autoform rollbar does not interfere with ingress and egress of the car. This is the best open door pic I could find but essentially the rollbar disappears under the panel and is not otherwise visible from within the car. There is no exposed tubing inside the cockpit. Also, my understanding is that Autoform and Jon B will work with you if you want a custom finish on the rollbar (such as chrome or painted to match exterior color etc). What you see in the pic below is the standard black satin finish. Hope this helps:

Viper_pic_11_29_08_045.JPG

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at this too. Don't you loose about an inch or rearward seat travel? Although it looks fine in your photos, I'm told the plastic replacement cover is somewhat less attractive than the OE.

What do ya think?

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at this too. Don't you loose about an inch or rearward seat travel? Although it looks fine in your photos, I'm told the plastic replacement cover is somewhat less attractive than the OE.

What do ya think?

I hadn't heard that? I just orderd the 2" seat lowering kit and I would hate to loose that option.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No change in seat travel. The rear panel is replaced with a near identical panel with openings for the roll bar and a change to the seat belt position. The bar below is the earlier version with the cross bar above the panel. Otherwise it is the same as the newer version. Note I have the fiberglass tonneau installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man the new ones are really clean looking. I think I will get one in flat black.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No change in seat travel. The rear panel is replaced with a near identical panel with openings for the roll bar and a change to the seat belt position. The bar below is the earlier version with the cross bar above the panel. Otherwise it is the same as the newer version. Note I have the fiberglass tonneau installed.

Ditto on what Gr8Asp said. The Autoform panel is of the same quality and texture as the OEM panel. It is shaped slightly differently at the top to accommodate the shape of the rollbar but that it really the extent of the difference.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats right, now I remmeber your car! I have some photos of it from Gingerman when we were out there. I will see if I got any close ups to look at.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the picture of the "old version" of the Autoform rollbar with the cross brace above the panel made me wonder if they still make this. The disadvantage is that I believe the cross brace cuts right across the rear window area, reducing rear visibility. On the other hand, it might make a nice place for a camera/video mount.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for that response. Interesting, since that's not what I've heard. Just to be clear, you are saying that the roll bar placement (attachment) does not intrude into the cockpit any more than OE? I'm not being cute, just surprised at your response. I've been told that the space behind the seat is diminished by 1" to 2". Most folks never need to move the seat back all the way, especially since the pedals can be adjusted forward. If you never had the seat all the way back, is it possible that you just haven't noticed any difference?

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for that response. Interesting, since that's not what I've heard. Just to be clear, you are saying that the roll bar placement (attachment) does not intrude into the cockpit any more than OE? I'm not being cute, just surprised at your response. I've been told that the space behind the seat is diminished by 1" to 2". Most folks never need to move the seat back all the way, especially since the pedals can be adjusted forward. If you never had the seat all the way back, is it possible that you just haven't noticed any difference?

This is a great question becasue with the 2" seat lowering kit the seat is locked all the way back. So I want to know if the roll bar will work with the 2" seat lowering kit???

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before the rear panel was wrapped in leather and stitched to match the seats....

You must be registered for see images

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see absolutely nothing that would decrease seat travel rearward. With the seatback tilted forward there is nothing for the seat to hit. As far as recline mine reclines to where it hits the back panel in the same area as the stock rear panel. Again I am confused how someone could say it reduced their seat travel. Maybe in a Gen I/II where the bar is positioned in front of the rear panel. But for a Gen III/IV the bar is behind the panel.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see absolutely nothing that would decrease seat travel rearward. With the seatback tilted forward there is nothing for the seat to hit. As far as recline mine reclines to where it hits the back panel in the same area as the stock rear panel. Again I am confused how someone could say it reduced their seat travel. Maybe in a Gen I/II where the bar is positioned in front of the rear panel. But for a Gen III/IV the bar is behind the panel.

Again, reinforcing this, the rollbar does not intrude in any way into the cabin. While I ever measured the fore and aft adjustability before and after install of the rollbar, it doesn't seem like the range of fore and aft adjustability has been impacted in any way.

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same autoform rollbar installed as Rich and I agree- it does not protrude into the cabin whatsoever

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to see autoform rollbar now has a cleaner look. Is this a reasonable "do it yourself" install or is there welding or something that would warrant a professional install? Anyone know if it meets SCCA and other track requirements for a rollbar?

Shags

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to see autoform rollbar now has a cleaner look. Is this a reasonable "do it yourself" install or is there welding or something that would warrant a professional install? Anyone know if it meets SCCA and other track requirements for a rollbar?

Shags

If you can install Moton's, you can install this rollbar yourself. I'm not sure if any santioned organization considers this a 4 pt. rollbar.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before the rear panel was wrapped in leather and stitched to match the seats....

If you can install Moton's, you can install this rollbar yourself. I'm not sure if any santioned organization considers this a 4 pt. rollbar.

Your car is beautiful! I realy like the bars on your black. I planned on installing them myself as long as no welding is needed. Im not too concerned about sanctioned event but I know for club events and ViperDays events they prefer you have them. I would just feel better knowing they are in myself also.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shags
Any competent mechanic or person with mechanical ability can install the roll bar. There is no welding. However, you do provide access to attach it to the frame which can be difficult. Plan on at least a day if not a full weekend. At least at my pace with proper beer breaks.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shags

I had my dealer's tech install the rollbar and my understanding is that it bolts to the frame; no welding is involved.

I believe the Autoform rollbar is SCCA compliant as a rollbar, not a four-point rollcage. Also, the rollbar does not meet NHRA requirements for rollover protection.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my dealer's tech install the rollbar and my understanding is that it bolts to the frame; no welding is involved.

I believe the Autoform rollbar is SCCA compliant as a rollbar, not a four-point rollcage. Also, the rollbar does not meet NHRA requirements for rollover protection.

Yea I had heard the SCCA compliant part. I think DC Performance is the only place I have seen a Roll Cage made for the SRT-10 but thats not for me.