Lethargic GTS or jaded driver?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right for a relatively stock GTS. From a roll, my car would likewise not break the tires loose and felt a tad sluggish. I added Belanger headers and a full 3" exhaust system (sans cats) and that changed things considerably. From a roll with the clutch fully engaged (~ 3,300 rpm) I can now light em' up big time. Also if you change to a 3.42 or 3.54 axle ratio, acceleration will improve dramatically albiet at the expense of top speed, which negates my interest. I would do the header/exhaust thing next!

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1997 GTS (US car) has (i) headers, (ii) 3" exhaust, (iii) K&N filters, (iv) modified stock airbox, and (v) larger throttle bodies (don't do this mod if you haven't done engine work as you lose low-end torque). In this configuration it dynoed at 450 rwhp. It will break cold (and sometimes hot) street tires loose in 1st gear at about 4500 rpm. I am not talking about at the start by slipping or or dumping the clutch. I am talking about once the clutch has been fully disengaged and the car is just pulling up through its power band in the rpm range on the way to my shift to second. The car will also have some wheel spin if under heaviest acceleration and rough shifting between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and once between 3d and 4th (on Hoosiers !). I do not, however, condone such hard/power shifting (unless perhaps on the straight of the last lap of a race where you are in contention). At take off, if I dump the clutch, wheelspin is no problem (except for clutch and pressure plate wear). Before the mods, I did not experience the rear wheels breaking loose under power like I do now.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked the same question. You really need a gear to break the tires free by hitting the gas during a roll. The gentleman in your last post (couple of weeks ago) that said he smokes the tires in both gears has a gear 3.45 or 3.55

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not sound right to me. I can break my tires lose from a roll in first or second gear, no clutch required. But I do have to pick the right RPM range.

Stop wondering and go find a dynojet. I know they are a little harder to find in the UK, but they are out there. Just don't take your snake to the place Nadine took hers!!! Look for an older post from her about her "dyno" run and you will some some helpful soul posted dynojet locations in the UK.

Good luck!

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rascal
I agree absolutely with your assessment of the performance. My initial impression was lots of torque and not much top end. Fitting KNs and removing the restrictor made a useful difference, pulling much better up top. I've just removed the standard exhaust and headers, they are horrible -- the in sill silencers narrow down to 45mm inside ! I'm fitting Bellanger headers hi flo cats and Borla 3" system at the moment and I'll let you know my impression when fitted. I feel that a lighter flywheel would make a big difference to the 1st gear roll on acceleration. Can anyone back me up on that?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joel:
I feel that a lighter flywheel would make a big difference to the 1st gear roll on acceleration. Can anyone back me up on that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it does feel like it winds up quite a bit quicker with the Al flywheel. I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the snappy response you get with the lighter flywheel. I don't know if it's worth the cost as a stand-alone mod, but if you have any reason to go into the clutch, etc. it is worth the cost of the flywheel to get it done at the same time.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that everyday is slightly different and tires make a big difference too. On a dry road with my drag radials on I can't break loose at all from a roll. With stock tires or road racing tires I can break loose in first gear if I'm in the right rpm range (3500 to 5000 or so) and in second gear it would have to be slightly damp to break loose at a 30mph roll. Frankly the dampness, dust on the tires, slightly grease coated road, tires, etc all makes a big difference.

I remember one guy saying he broke loose even from 3rd gear. What I found out when I got a ride is that he didn't know how to shift. He would put the clutch to the floor, wind up the engine till it screamed and dump the clutch. A Viper would probably break loose for a second at a 100mph in 6th gear with that shifting technique.

Sometimes I think it's hard for a car to live up to it's legend. I felt the same way when I first got my Viper. I thought it was going to be like getting strapped to a rocket because of all the hype around this car. It is great, but it doesn't tear your head off. You'll need a top alcohol burning 4 second dragster for that kind of launch!

PS. Dump the clutch from a dead stop in first gear! It's a blast but be careful not to just stomp on the gas because you'll hit the rev limiter...that's embarrassing. The key is to figuring out the fine are of feathering the gas so you maximize your burnout length while remaining under control.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires make a big difference. If you have original 97 tires replace them. Before I replaced my tires under full acceleration my tires would start spinning at about 4,000RPM no clutch dumping just full throttle from 20MPH now with new tires they never loose traction except from a dead stop or a roll with a clutch dump or a hard 1-2 shift this was with headers and exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21