Lights after hard acceleration

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, thanks for joining in. Not sure if you remember working with Dan C fix mine. First time he fixed the miss and backfire, turned out the replacement cam sensor was bad (as you mentioned above) and finally worked with the second sensor. But down the road the issues came back (always at the track) and the next code was crank sensor which he replaced at Willow (see above pic). That lasted another session or two. Finally, changed out both wiring harnessess and all seems good, 15-18 months, 4-5 track weekends?

Utah, hopefully I sent you a thanks you PM some time ago. From what I know about mine and your issues I think MtnBiker has the same problem. Hopefully he won't go 18 months before it's finally fixed! After all the work I did to my viper, headers/heads/intake/suspension,etc I was so ********** having a strong viper that now couldn't consistently rev beyond 5100 rpm. Thankfully, it seems finally fixed Mike

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would replace the harness, not cut it! They had to with mine due to the unavailibility of harnesses at the time. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morgan said they are going to install a new connector, pigtail and new signal wire. I don't know what all that means but I sure hope it fixes it!

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, motor is off to Arrow Racing Motors for a new cam. While they have it all apart I am upgrading the rods and pistons to forged. I am also getting Belanger headers while the motor is away.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats up with it? is the cam your problem?

Well, we have done everything according to Chrylser/Stars direction: replaced cam sensor, replaced PCM, replaced wiring. Now they want the motor sent to Arrow for complete tear down and inspection/cam replacement.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, well they usually give you a little power suprise tweek when you send them there under warranty, i have heard this from more than 1 source that has had to do what your doing- maybe the cam timing is off.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be sweet. As I mentioned I will upgrade the rods and pistons while it's there.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck, but that's pretty sweet that your engine will be better than brand new when you get it back.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is limp mode. So you can get to the shop or home. This just happened to me two weeks ago. It was the Ipod interface (MOPAR part) I had it installed and it messed so much stuff up and did exactly what you had happen to you.
I did a hard acceleration in 1st gear. Felt what I thought was rev limiter but it didn't repeat just hard sort of decel, like the engine shut off. Look down and the CEL is on and a red lightning bolt light is flashing. I pulled over and turned the car off. I restarted and the red flashing light was off but CEL remained on. Did quick research and found that the Gen 4 is sensitive. The red light has to do with the throttle control. What I read suggested the ECL/CEL will go off after it sits for a day.

Can someone let me know what happened. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, almost 9 weeks later and I picked the car up Friday. Arrow said there seems to be a problem with the cam sensors. They had to test a number of them before one worked. They actually sent me a spare cam sensor in a baggie labeled "keep in glove box". They said that the cam sensors seem to be overly sensitive, or have a very low tolerance/threshold.

As I have noted above, I decided to have the internals upgraded (rods, pistons and ACRX chromoly lifters), a catch can, and Belanger headers and Corsa exhaust installed. I also opted for the Mopar ECU. Well, when they installed the ECU on Friday it was "only running on 2 cylinders". So, Arrow said to ship the ECU (actually sent 2 of them) back and they would reporgram them and ship them back to us.

I had Morgan go ahead and put the original PCM back in the car so I could drive it over the weekend. Man, the new headers and exhaust are friggin loud! But I believe that is what a Viper should sound like. I love it, even though my head is ringing after I get out of the car. The pops and gurgles are awesome, but I realize once I get the Mopar ECU installed those will go away.

The car is a scary, scary beast!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out and fixed. When I first had my problems, Dan Cragin replaced my bad cam senosr with a bad cam sensor he bought from chrysler and it took him some time to figure out the new once was bad too. Yes, keep a spare, fairly easy to replace, most of the guys out here I track with keep a spare.

The headers and exhaust really wake up the Gen IV's and yeah, their loud! Hope they get you the new venom controller soon, you won't notice much, except the exhaust burble, but your getting maybe 10 hp and 15 trq. It will also prevent the CEL from the headers, which is going to happen eventually. Best wishes, Mike

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike for your help and support. Arrow said the ACR-X lifters will add a few HP as well.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's incredibly good. Power is up considerably ( I'm guessing around 600 at the wheels). Sound is loud and I love it. Not a problem with cam sensor since.

Do have one thing I have yet to understand. The car was using oil after it came back from Arrow. Two quarts in less than 1500 miles. Filled it up, went to track and after 3 sessions on Saturday needed another 2 quarts. No smoke, no leaks. Added 2 quarts before last session. Drove home (80 miles), back to track Sunday, ran 4 hard sessions in my class plus two with instructors, drove home. Oil level is fine. Did it take that long to seat the rings?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte