Lingenfelter

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
To begin with, aren't they all stroked? Don't most of the other tuners leave the block alone while Lingenfelter changes the bottom end?

Just posting what I have read...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1bad,

Are you sure it is an identical car to LPE's? I had an LPE car (Vette) and I've seen and driven alot of folks cars from other tuners. The thing that always stuck out about LPE was that their cars are reliable, they are ALWAYS professionally done, and John L doesn't talk big, he lets his cars talk for him.

I've seen folks with strokers where the car idled like crap, or it had problems with this or that. I've never seen an LPE car with such problems. The details are what makes the car, and I believe John L would not release a car until it meets his definition of perfect.

And 10.3@135 is *flying*

SW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with my buddy George Brice, he did run a 10.33@135 all motor. That pass was with the stock 3.07 gear. He will go faster when he has more practice with it. Just think what it will run with a shot of gas and more gear...

SW

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad,

I hear what you are saying, but I'm still not convinced the two tuners are truly comparable. I have no experience with the other guy you mentioned, only with LPE and a bunch of others. I read John L's book and I talked to him quite a lot in the past about getting work done. There are a lot of variables - things like what rings to use, etc. You can also change things like compression by altering the piston wrist pin height, or you can hog out the cylinder chambers (or deck the heads) - which way is best, or does a combination of both work the best? Idle quality and smoothness is alot about the cam, and computer tuning, but it also has a little to do with other decisions that are made too - like the aforementioned options on how to lower (or raise) compression. There is an art to working on heads and intakes too - it isn't always about the maximum flow #'s - often times the highest flow #'s aren't the best for a street driven car that spends much of it's time below 3,000RPM.

Having said that, I think LPE's experience is what sets them apart from the rest. John has a stellar past as a winning drag racer, and I am always amazed at the breadth and depth of his knowledge. I think there are only a very few folks who have "been there, done that" like LPE has. I only have experienced stroker Vipers from 3 tuners (one being LPE), but they were all very different in how they behaved. The LPE cars are like stockers - quiet, smooth, but their 540cid package has 640HP to the wheels! And if someone is running 10.3's on it, it might even have more than that.

I am not doubting that there are other guys who can make similar numbers, I'm just saying that anyone buying any of these packages should shop on alot more than the #'s.... and I don't think anyone can replicate LPE's work by using the same parts (you might not even be able to know what exact parts he's using, or how he is customizing them, etc.).

Cherm,

Look at this like buying a car. Would you compare based on HP numbers alone? If so, then TT Mustang that makes >1,000hp would be 'better' than a Viper. Each car has it's own personality and unique traits that set it apart. Just like each tuner's strokers have different characteristics that set them apart. I've experienced strokers that idled like funny cars (lumpety, lump) at 1,200RPM, that roared at WOT and ran mighty rich and stank without their cats. I've seen others that are totally the opposite. You really need to experience these packages before you commit the $$'s. LPE is in Indiana, and the cost of a plane ticket is really small compared to the cost of the package. Go and check out the cars, get a ride, maybe even drive if you can - and you'll have a better feel for what you're buying. There is a local Vette guy who used to give me a hard time for spending "too much" on my LPE car when his made as much power as mine did. His car was just as fast, but he could barely drive it on the street, as the cam was so lumpy and the motor so moody that it was very unpleasant to be in the car. My Vette was smooth as silk... quiet, and refined, and it ran better than a stocker. I also never broke anything - whereas he was always breaking this or that.

I'm sure 1 Bad has some good points, and I would say definitely go check out his guy and the cars he has done too, but don't count out LPE or think that the extra $$'s you spend is just for the name.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great dialogue so far.
Chris- Getting back to orginal questions... Lingenfelter does good work and they have a solid business. I am not sure that they necessarily make much more N/A power than other tuners though when the modifications are compared.

The rule of thumb everyone needs to keep in mind is that as you make more power it becomes increasingly more difficult, and hence more expensive, to make it. For example, Vipers gain over 10 hp with just filters and tubes and it costs under $200. Wouldn't it be great if we could see 100hp for every $2k we spent. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

According to the info. on the site, Lingenfelter offers a 540c.i./725hp package for the Viper. This involves a heck of a lot more (and costs more) than a 'top end package' which usually consists of heads, cam, rockers, intake, etc.. They stroke the motor and provide all new internals in the lower end. They also need to make fuel system changes to handle the extra power.

With our LETHAL 650 package (stock bottom end) we are able to see in excess of 650 hp at the engine which is comparable to Lingenfelter's 510c.i. package results.

We are working on and will soon be completing a LETHAL 750 package. It does require additional modifications and will cost more than the LETHAL 650 due to all the additional labor and parts involved including a billet crankshaft, which are custom made parts for the Viper. We just want to make sure we get it right the first time.

As for warranty's, I always recommend that you receive them in writing and you review it. I think you will find most tuners stand behind the work they perform, sometimes even longer than 2 yrs. However, this can mean different things. Often times only certain parts or driving conditions may be covered,etc.. If you add potential shipping costs, and other fees, sometimes it may make sense not to use a warranty in some cases.

As for resale value, that's a difficult one. No one should ever expect to recover their cost on performance mods if they sell their car. Once major modifications are made, your buying audience shrinks considerably. You may sell it for slightly more with a particular tuner's package on it, but it may not make up the difference if the package costs considerably more than another with similar performance.

Just some food for thought. In the end, I always recommend you do business with a company that you feel completely comfortable with, where you can leave your car and have a confident feeling that it will be well taken care of and you will be happy with the results. Sanity is precious.

As a side note, you may want to check and confirm that the tuner will build a package for your particular car (GEN I) and that they are comfortable working on a CA car. Many get spooked due to emissions concerns. This is why we make sure every package we sell will pass the emission sniffers.

Good Luck!
-Wayne

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

You should talk to Ben Treynor. He was considering sending his car to Lingenfelter before he sent it to DLM. Ben said Lingenfelter WILL NOT work on a car registered in CA. If you are determined enough to register it out of state, then you could circumvent this issue however.

-Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness