Link showing how to remove the rocker exhaust panels?

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My searches are rarely sucessful. :(

My Random Technology cats came in yesterday and I am trying to find a thread showing step by step how to remove the rocker/exhaust panels under the doors.

Thank you,
Alex

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 screws underneath if they haven't fall out yet.

2 along the top of the sill behind the front tire. Pop the hood to get at them.

4 inside the door sill under plastic plugs. Pop the plugs out and there they are with the door open.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used slightly larger dia. screws too at reassembly for a more secure fit. Zinc and stainless available at hardware stores.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere In Time, if I remember correctly you are a new owner, I would like to suggest you picking up the dealer service books, There are 3 that I bought for my 97 GTS for the body, engine, and overall car, I found all 3 in one listing on ebay super cheep, I have used the books a number of times and they are great!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I poke my head into my 2001 Service Manual at least once a week. :2tu:

I also have the Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures, Chassis Diagnostic Procedures and Body Diagnostic Procedures...but rarely have to use them.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a few pictures showing how to remove the plastic plugs and underlying screws from the upper side of the rocker panel covers...

I taped off the plugs with painter's tape so that I wouldn't scratch the sill or rocker panel covers...

You must be registered for see images

I then used a combination of fishing string and a tappet gauge type tool to get the plugs out...they have protruding locks on both sides...

...with the plug removed...

...and with the screw removed...

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An easy tip to remove the plugs on top is with two credit cards squeezing on opposite sides. Flatten out the metal on the car once the screws are removed and sill is off as it is extremely thin and will already be pulled out a little. I used various tools from the top and bottom. Touch holes with qtip and por15 to stop any corrision. It takes absolutly nothing to strip out the screws when reinstalling. I used high temp locktite to stop them from backing out.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the credit card method. Everything came off no sweat. Had my Random Tech cats installed and what a difference in heat and sound!! Thanks for the help here fellas.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, You're ripping right along with mods. At this rate, you'll have that sucker super charged before I even get to see it.:D I have all sorts of small mods lined up and partially started. Have to wait for Dr's release before I can finsh them up as he told me not to lift, bend, stretch, twist until after the follow up visit ... Just TRY working on a Viper without any of those motions.:omg:

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, You're ripping right along with mods. At this rate, you'll have that sucker super charged before I even get to see it.:D I have all sorts of small mods lined up and partially started. Have to wait for Dr's release before I can finsh them up as he told me not to lift, bend, stretch, twist until after the follow up visit ... Just TRY working on a Viper without any of those motions.:omg:

I have mod fever bad but am starting to slow down. Just got a new set of Logo'd Lloyd's mats. Car didn't come with mats at all. These things are sweet and yes, I'm excited over a set of floor mats!! :) Get well, I want to see the blue beast.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mod fever bad but am starting to slow down. Just got a new set of Logo'd Lloyd's mats. Car didn't come with mats at all. These things are sweet and yes, I'm excited over a set of floor mats!! :) Get well, I want to see the blue beast.

Anchor them down to the seat, one of the biggest slow down problems with a GTS or RT is the creeping mats that creep under the gas pedal and prevent full throttle application, can pretty much cost you 50 - 100 horsepower.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere In Time, if I remember correctly you are a new owner, I would like to suggest you picking up the dealer service books, There are 3 that I bought for my 97 GTS for the body, engine, and overall car, I found all 3 in one listing on ebay super cheep, I have used the books a number of times and they are great!

What year is your Viper? I have all the service manuals for a 2001. Since I sold my '01 I don't have much use for them. PM me if interested. I was going to put on Ebay, but just have not gotten around to it.

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anchor them down to the seat, one of the biggest slow down problems with a GTS or RT is the creeping mats that creep under the gas pedal and prevent full throttle application, can pretty much cost you 50 - 100 horsepower.

The Lloyd's mats came with anchors, they work very well.