Liqui vehicle tilter

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, I came across one of the vendors selling the Liqui vehicle tilter. The tilter is a fairly compact device that attaches to the wheel hubs (wheels are removed first). Then you can rotate the car on its side up to 90 degrees in order to easily access the underside of the car.

The device seems pretty slick and costs only $1200, although there doesn't seem to be any difficult engineering that goes into it. And the materials it's made of probably don't cost more than a hundred bucks or so. Maybe not even that. Nonetheless, it appears sturdy and looks like it would hold a car securely and safely tilted up to 90 degrees.

The device would sure make it easy to work on the underside of the car and to clean the underside. In some respects, it would be better than a lift because the stuff you are working on is right in front of you, not overhead.

Is anyone familiar with the device? If so, you're comments are appreciated. Also, I'm wondering if rolling a Viper (or any other car, for that matter) up on its side presents other problems such as spilling fluids all over. Things like the battery, master cylinder, cooling system, power steering pump, windshield washer, and oil all come to mind. Side curtain airbag rollover sensors and roll bar deployment systems also come to mind (I know - not relevant to Vipers), although my guess is that the ignition would need to be on for the side curtain/roll over protection to come into play. If some of you mechanical whizzes out there have any ideas on that, please pass 'em on.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looked at the picture - thanks for the link.

I gotta say I would be more than a little concerned in lifting it more than around 30 degrees. Even at that level there may be something that doesn't appreciate the angle for extended periods. Understand that most cars are not deigned for more than 1 lateral g. That translates to a 45 degree angle. I can't imagine how they can make the claim that only the battery must be removed. I have no idea how they could state that coolant overflow bottles, windshield washer bottles and such would not leak at an angle close to 90 degrees. Most do not have a fully sealed top. Then you have things like transmissions and differentials which frequently have breather vents.

Also not sure I would feel comfortable working under it as if it came down you better be one fast puppy. Call me a skeptic but I would pass on this and opt for a lift.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aren't this things usually used for major restorations/bodywork and the engine and other things prone to dripping and leaking are removed already?

Tool Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one scary looking thing. I think what they use for restorations is called a Rotisserie which would only be used for a stripped body or frame. This is not a Rotisserie. They make some really nice small portable electric lifts that are usefull and a whole lot safer.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the day, rally cars were serviced in a similar, albeit, cruder fashion.

You open the offside window, position a spare wheel and tire assembly below the window opening, then grunt the car over on its side, with the tire wedged into the window opening. I remember doing this when I was building a rally car, and boy would I get some strange looks from passers by.

OP
OP
P

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one scary looking thing. I think what they use for restorations is called a Rotisserie which would only be used for a stripped body or frame. This is not a Rotisserie. They make some really nice small portable electric lifts that are usefull and a whole lot safer.

No, it's not a rotisserie as it will only rotate the car 90 degrees. Rotisseries used in restorations, as I understand it, will rotate through a full 360 degrees so you can get at all sides of the what is mounted in it.

And it doesn't look scary in person. It looks like it should be secure, but I'm just not sure about spilling fluids, etc. Any Viper tech types out there who have any thoughts?