Liquid Gold??

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi again,

As I am still working on replacing all fluids of my recently purchased '98 RT/10 by myself, it's the gearbox I have a question about for today :smirk:

I have read tons of threads here and elsewhere but still I am not 100% sure, which fluid to go for.

My tranny has been factory filled with Castrol Syntorque (I verified the label on the tranny). It is a fully synthetic 75W85 API GL-4 fluid, as I believe. It seems, that this oil is no longer availabe under this name. It is available as Mopar product, however. Now, I called the local Chrysler dealer here in Germany and he confirmed, that he should have it (so says the database in his computer, at least). He was also brave enough to disclose the price for a Liter of this liquid gold: 41,- € (~51,- US$) :omg::omg::omg:

Although I only want the best for my Viper, I find this price to be shameless :nono:

I checked the Castrol website and found the Castrol Syntrans, which is a 75W85 manual transmission oil, fully synthetic and compliant to API-GL4 (NOT 5). This one is about 8,- € (10,- US$) per Liter.

Now the question for the experts: can/should I use this one instead of the Mopar gold?

Thanks a lot for your help :2tu:

Holger

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Holger

I use Motyl Gear SAE 75W80 and my car is used more or less only for track days and racing ....this oil will make your shifts much smoother and precise..
Comes highly recommended ...

brgds Jan

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:money:I also think that stuff is a little bit expensive, but so was the car, and so is a replacement tranny. I only use the 'liquid gold' in my car.:cash:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you compelled to replace the gearbox fluid? High mileage? Uncertain history?

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im interested in changing my gearbox/tranny fluid too because of uncertain history.

What is the recommended mileage for the transmission fluid to be changed?

EDIT ... I just found it in the owners manual ... around 20-25k miles ---

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, in my case, I just want to change all fluids to have a clean starting point for all future maintenance activities. As mentioned, I own my Viper for a month now and luckily, I have not experienced any issues/malfunctions so far. But unfortunately, I do not have any maintenance records, so I don't know, what was changed when for the last time. The brake and clutch fluid, which I recently changed looked very dark and I guess that the last change (if any) was done quite some time ago.

Actually, the maintenance schedule A in the '98 service manual does not mention ANY transmission fluid change (or did I overlook it?), schedule B however states a change every 36 months.

So, is there anyone out there, who knows some alternatives to the mentioned liquid gold or has used e.g. the Castrol syntrans?

Thanks for your help!

Holger

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's supposed to have Dex3 in it. that was factory fill.

I just had to replace my tailshaft seal and I put my short shifter in at the same time. i drained and refilled while i was in there and used DEXVI synthetic. Shifts much nicer, and exceeds all the specs of Dex3.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
His 2001 came with a factory fill of Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85...NOT Dexron III that was used in 1997 & 1998 Vipers.

It is true that Mopar ATF+4 is a substitute for Dexron II e and Dexron III...but, I personally use the OEM factory fill in a 2001. It takes 4 quarts (and you will have a very small amount left over). alwayscode390, feel free to call me for more details.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change the transmission and rear differential fluid about every 6 track days. -For street driving, probably once a year if you drive a lot would be good. -if it's a garage queen......who cares. -it can't wear out if it's parked all the time.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Castrol Syntorque is a great fluid, it holds up to extreme heat and reduces NGR. To be honest, Tremec uses ATF in most transmissions and only changed in the Viper because of the NGR. ATF 4 will work fine in the transmission, it will shift better but may have some NGR. ATF4 is used in the new 6060. They claim it it lifetime fill, but it is not.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NGR = Neutral Gear Rattle. Some of the girls complained about it on the earlier GenI/IIs so Dodge came out with a little bit thicker lube.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer has this MOPAR 75/80 fluid for $25 a quart ... you must be paying double because of the import taxes!? ---

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it's more the Viper tax, that kicks in, I guess...:dunno:

Import taxes are usually approx. 30% of the purchase price + shipping, so will not explain the 100% markup.

I have sent an email to Castrol Germany, asking for alternative/equivalent product for the Syntorque....let's see what they will respond!?
:eater:

Holger

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Castrol Germany responded to my email. This is the positive thing.

Unfortunately, they are not really providing a helping hand....They say that they don't know the american Castrol products very well, the markets in the different regions are just too different. They don't have any information about the Vipers/transmission of those years either. So, they don't feel to be in the position to recommend any of the oils available in Europe for my purpose. How poor is that?

I guess I will postpone the fluid change to the end of the chain, will focus now on diff and coolant. Transmission is working properly and is dry (on the outside of course) so I'd think that fluid level is ok and as it should be a lifetime fill, I guess the risk is relatively low.

Holger

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for 15k miles in my 2000 gts, no issues. Gear noise isn't any more than it was with the factory Castrol fill.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Castrol Germany responded to my email. They don't have any information about the Vipers/transmission of those years either. So, they don't feel to be in the position to recommend any of the oils available in Europe for my purpose. How poor is that?

That is a fully professional response, and what I would have expected out of them. I would not have expected them to do an engineering investigation to respond to an email from someone. That's just my opinion. My understanding is that the T56 transmission for the Viper has different synchros than for a Mustang or a Covette. Are the materials the same? Is the chemistry for whatever are the available fluids compatible with the Viper transmission? You are asking them to make a fully informed engineering response. I'm not saying that there are any issues with compatibility; but, I own another sports car that if you put the other manual transmission fluid in it that the manufacturer specifies for their minivans, you end up with a ruined transmission. I would definitely trust Dan's (DC Performance) advice on what is acceptable.