LMAO! THERE GOES THE $5K TO $10K PREMIUM OVER STICKER ON THE Z06!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see about 50 more of these types of threads coming up on here. The Z06 guys are going to be hurting. Keep them coming. They are hilarious.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see this as a win-win. I don't care about horsepower as much as I used to having gone from a 350 hp Vette to a 450 hp 96 Viper to a 505 hp SRT-10 to a 380 hp Ferrari Testarossa, then a 190 hp Lotus Elise, and back to an 07 Z51 C6 Vette coupe. They are all just great, and if I learned anything at the Viper Club Skip Barber course it is that we all drive just as fast as our abilities, and no faster despite having more horsepower and torque available. For me, chassis, balance ,and brakes have become more important than horsepower. And sadly, a bit of comfort (or I would have kept the Lotus- great car).

The reason this is a win-win is that some Z06 buyers will now buy the higher horsepower Vipers, following the latest King of the Hill and that will depress Z06 prices, get rid of dealer mark ups, and make Z06s accessible below MSRP which will put a lot of Vette buyers into a great car for possibly under $70K

The new Viper is absolutely GORGEOUS. Very aggressive looking. I always thought my Gen 1.5 looked much better than my SRT-10, but that the brakes, seat, top, and power of the SRT-10 ran rings around my Gen 1.5. Now the new Viper owner can have it all. Presence to equal the earlier model, plus the power and sophistication of the Gen III. A great product.

Vette and Viper continue to spur each other on, and chase the Ford GT40 (sadly discontinued) for presence. Good for all.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see this as a win-win. I don't care about horsepower as much as I used to having gone from a 350 hp Vette to a 450 hp 96 Viper to a 505 hp SRT-10 to a 380 hp Ferrari Testarossa, then a 190 hp Lotus Elise, and back to an 07 Z51 C6 Vette coupe. They are all just great, and if I learned anything at the Viper Club Skip Barber course it is that we all drive just as fast as our abilities, and no faster despite having more horsepower and torque available. For me, chassis, balance ,and brakes have become more important than horsepower. And sadly, a bit of comfort (or I would have kept the Lotus- great car).

The reason this is a win-win is that some Z06 buyers will now buy the higher horsepower Vipers, following the latest King of the Hill and that will depress Z06 prices, get rid of dealer mark ups, and make Z06s accessible below MSRP which will put a lot of Vette buyers into a great car for possibly under $70K

The new Viper is absolutely GORGEOUS. Very aggressive looking. I always thought my Gen 1.5 looked much better than my SRT-10, but that the brakes, seat, top, and power of the SRT-10 ran rings around my Gen 1.5. Now the new Viper owner can have it all. Presence to equal the earlier model, plus the power and sophistication of the Gen III. A great product.

Vette and Viper continue to spur each other on, and chase the Ford GT40 (sadly discontinued) for presence. Good for all.

Great post.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so fast boys, do you not think the 08' will be marked up??????

The vette may lose the markups or at least they will be reduced but at 90k the viper wont hurt the price to where there are rebates. for almost 20k less you can have a car that is nearly as fast in the Z06. The vette markups were on the way out the door anyways because at this point the people who could wait this long (well over a year) for a Z06 could wait to get one at MSRP.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a Z at $70.3k.

Traded it for a '06 V and got $69k, thats with 14k miles. Paid $74 for the V.

It will be a Win Win Win for me.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Are you going to be "LMAO" at the crazy markups on the '08 Vipers as well?

I just bought a new 07 Corvette Z51 Coupe in October. At the time the same dealer who gave me a discount on it, and took my Lotus Elise in trade, was asking a $20,000 mark up on the Z06. Since then you can find some Z06s for about $1,500 under MSRP in certain areas of the US. 3 months into the second model year.

Unless Viper changes, rear wheel slide on snow and ice remains, and a good time to buy the new Viper will be in the second year of production, around January 31, in Denver or Salt Lake or Chicago.

The first buyers pay mark ups on all the hot cars, and also get to be the beta testers for the new stuff the engineers come up with. I've been that guy a few times. Not any more.

My SRT-10 pictured (now gone) I bought from an enthusiast. This was his cheapest car, and he needed to make room in his 8 car garage for the new Ferrari Challenge Stradale he had coming in. He had put the stripe on, and kept the car immaculate. It was an 03 with 7,500 miles on it, and he and I used the same mechanic who confirmed that his car had been through the recall, the top end had been rebuilt and almost blue printed on the rebuild because this enthusiast was such a good customer. I bought the car for $60,000 with 7,500 miles on it. And it was bulletproof.

I suggest that by year two, worked over models bought by people who wanted to be "first" will be back on the market, for substantially under the marked up price, and perhaps under MSRP.

What Chevrolet did with the Z06 was move the MSRP up by about $4,500 between year one and year two, which knocked out dealer mark ups a bit, but allowed the few people who got year one at MSRP to re-sell under year 2 MSRP, and still either make money or break even, like the poster above.

I consider that to be a small window of opportunity. Plus, the Vette had the luxury of being about $20,000 under MSRP for the Viper, and under Porsche 997S (real world pricing of about $95,000 with options) and consequently could position itself as a bargain. The air gets a bit more rare at $90,000 plus.

Ferrari 355s, and now some 360s and 550 Maranellos are dropping to about $100,000, and may someday be worth more again thereby allowing an investment "excuse" for purchase.

04 Porsche 996 GT3s are now available for around $85,000 some with 5,000 miles.

Lamborghini Gallardos are now coming to market in their earliest used versions at around $120,000 and will probably drop quickly to the $100,000 range by the time the new Vipers hit the streets.

There new Corvette Blue Streak or whatever it will be called will come out under $100,000 if the ZR-1 is an indication of Chevrolet thoughts on market share.

Many people with a great deal of cash to spend will pay mark ups to be first (assuming that Viper doesn't sell only to existing owners at MSRP like they did with the 96 Blue Coupe). But that market dries up pretty well by the end of the first year of production, except for Ferrari who keeps production low, and sells "mystique" better than Dodge or Chevy does.

In two years, a lightly used Z06, or new Vipers :2tu: will be available at a reasonable pricing below MSRP and the bugs will have been taken care of by the original owner. Worked for me, and I think it will work for you.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LW:

Good write up with excellent points. I agree a lot with what you are saying except the Gallardo statement because I think that they are two totally different markets. They will just continue to drop because they are getting older. Next month 04s will be three years old so they will drop a bit more. I am very intrigued to see what happens with the new Vipers regarding price though. Hopefully they will sell them to Viper owners firstlike what they did with the 03 SRT and 96 GTS so that they will keep this ridiculous pricing to a minimum but only time will tell.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't think that Dodge dealers will be ready to give folks the open cheek special?

Are they above jammin it in dry like many Chevy dealers did?

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't understand why you people care so much about the Z06. I opened this forum earlier today to show a freind the new 08 and he could'nt help but notice all the crap about the Z06 and he owns one, he thought Viper was on a diffrent level, but apparently not.
Go on there site most are giving thumbs up and acknowledging there existence solely on the keeping up with the Viper!

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I walked in to my local Chevy dealer on Thursday to see a ZO6 with an 12.5 mark up plus MSRP it was almost 90 K. :curse:
I just turned and walked away with the sales man asking what was the problem?? I said the "market ajustment". :evilmad:

I told Him at that price I would rather buy a Viper ! :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I walked in to my local Chevy dealer on Thursday to see a ZO6 with an 12.5 mark up plus MSRP it was almost 90 K. :curse:
I just turned and walked away with the sales man asking what was the problem?? I said the "market ajustment". :evilmad:

I told Him at that price I would rather buy a Viper ! :D

Hopefully that's possible, I see these Vipers' getting the "market ajustment" as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang