Lo Tire lite?

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My battery ran down- that is the life of a no-miles garage queen. Since recharging, the low tire pressure indicator has been blinking. The tires look OK, although I have not pressure tested them yet. Anyone see this, or know how to reset it? Is this just an anomoly of the low battery state?

Of course I now have a Battery Tender on the car.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that lite after I took a wheel off and on. You
have to take it to a dealer to reset the indicator.

Dean

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone with a shop manual know the proper incantation for this? It seems like such a PITA to arrange a shop visit for something so trivial.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette pressure sensors are reset with some type of magnet. I'm not sure about the SRT.
Dave

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, in my initial glances through the shop manual, the first thing you should do is actually check the tire pressure. Run flats generally don't look "flat" even when they are. The system will monitor the pressure and flash the "LO TIRE" indicator two seconds on and two seconds off if the pressure falls below 20 PSI. Should the pressure fall to 14 PSI or below (considered "critical"), then the flash and chime will be repeated every second. In the event a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is set, the "LO TIRE" indicator lamp will stay lit until the ignition is turned off. The low tire condition itself does not set a DTC, so to me that means that something else was triggered and the code entered. Thus the flashing indicator light.

Now, as painful as it seems, it is hard to pinpoint in this manual the method for clearing this code. It appears it must be done with a DRBIII scan tool. Addtionally, the tool will point out which wheel had the fault. FASTRNU is correct in that the wheel is then cleared with a magnet (special tool 8821) placed at the valve stem.

Dealer item? Probably. Is your friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer set up for this? Well, I don't know of any Dodge product that has runflats besides the new Viper. Were all dealers given these new tools for a car many have never even seen yet? Don't know. Want to go place a refrigerator magnet next to each valve stem and see what happens? ;) Let us know what you end up doing, and do check your tire pressure just to be safe...

Chris

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer had my wheels off and when I went to pick up the car I noticed that the low tire lamp was on - they told me that (according to the shop manual) it comes on after tire removal and would go off after driving for a mile or 2, and it did.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

The run-flat tire sensors are "re-set" with a magnet that looks like a donut. It takes only seconds per tire.

I purchased the very first set of aftermarket wheels (HRE) from Parts Rack, and it took time to get the sensors to HRE to have them built in to the wheels and the identical (new OEM) tires mounted and balanced.

When the original wheels/tires were removed, and the new set installed, my Tech used the magnet thing and I watched the process. NOTE: my tech did have the shop computer hooked up when he did this, because he needed to tell the SRT computer that these were DIFFERENT SENSORS than stock.

Your tech may not need to hook up the computer like in my case. I believe they will just re-initialize with the special magnet very quickly.

Hope this helps!

Jim

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new SRT has the Lo Tire light illuminated too. I checked the pressures after driving about 8 miles and had 34f, 33r.