Lockable Gas Gap

Stu Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anybody tell me where I can pick up a lockable gas gap that will not only fit the car, but allow the gas cover to shut over it as well.

I have already tried to obtain one at Advanced Parts and Pep Boys. They fit, but do not allow the outside gas cover to close completely.

I want to ensure nobody will put sugar in my gas tank out of jealousy.

Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stu :usa:

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
go over to AUTOZONE, and look up the cap under viper, they got those ones will fit PERFECT, i got one on my car....

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I picked up a "Stant" brand locking gas cap for my 95 RT, at PepBoys (about $13-14 if I remember correctly). It works great, and the outside gas lid closes just fine.

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stu Man-

I had the same exact problem. Bought 3 different locking gas at Pep Boys that supposedly fit for the Viper and with the only one that remotely fit, I had to jam my cover to get it shut.

What I finally did was call Woodhouse and they got one that fit perfectly with no problems. Give them a ring @ 800-889-1893.

OP
OP
S

Stu Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the info. It was driving me nuts trying to find one that fits. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that had this problem.

Again, your help is greatly appreciated. :2tu:

Stu-Man :headbang:

OP
OP
S

Stu Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just went to Autozone last night and picked up the lockable gas cap. It fits like a glove. :2tu:

Thanks again for the great info. Have a great weekend. It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend here in VA and I definitely plan on taking out the Viper for a spin. headbang:

Stu-Man : :usa:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I thought I would support my local dealer and see if he had a locking gas cap. They said, yes sir, they had one but couldn't find the price right away. I told them that $15 was the amount mentioned on the VCA website. After shuffling some papers they told me that the price had been increased to $17.95, but they would have to order the cap. Figuring the postage on ordering one from Tator or someone, I agreed to buy one. When they ran it through the computer for the bill the price magically became $21.95 (before tax) -- I knew I shouldn't have worn that suit into the dealership! I thanked them, declined the sale, walked out and ran down to the local Auto Zone Parts Store. There I bought the exact same cap for $10.99. Another fine Dodge experience . . . :confused:

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Today I thought I would support my local dealer and see if he had a locking gas cap. They said, yes sir, they had one but couldn't find the price right away. I told them that $15 was the amount mentioned on the VCA website. After shuffling some papers they told me that the price had been increased to $17.95, but they would have to order the cap. Figuring the postage on ordering one from Tator or someone, I agreed to buy one. When they ran it through the computer for the bill the price magically became $21.95 (before tax) -- I knew I shouldn't have worn that suit into the dealership! I thanked them, declined the sale, walked out and ran down to the local Auto Zone Parts Store. There I bought the exact same cap for $10.99. Another fine Dodge experience . . . :confused:

The dreaded "Viper Tax" hits again!!!
Cheers,

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just went to Autozone last night and picked up the lockable gas cap. It fits like a glove. :2tu:

Thanks again for the great info. Have a great weekend. It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend here in VA and I definitely plan on taking out the Viper for a spin. headbang:

Stu-Man : :usa:

So who is the manufacturer of this p/n CST#5791 sold at AutoZone? Is it "Stant"?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve thanks alot for that model # i just went and got that one from autozone even tho i bought another one i like this one alot better

thanks

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It didn't fit my 99 either. I noticed the box says 2003-2004. I think they're for the SRT.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys just to let everyone know watch out for thr CST#5791

I put it on and got a check engine light 0455 = large emissions leak, so i call Sean Roe and tell him the code and the first thing he says to me is "diden't change the gas cap by any chance did you?" Sean was right as usual i put the stock cap back on and guess what no more engine light.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You may indeed have had a bad cap...currently, we have CST#5791 caps on 5 of our Vipers without ANY problems...of further note, if one puts any gas cap on imperfectly or incompletely, INCLUDING STOCK CAP, one can set engine light.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tried it 3 times cuz i really want a locking cap so i may have a bad one

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, STUGOTS...wish that I was smart enough to suggest how to test your cap, as it is indeed of interest. Maybe others can chime in with advice.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Auto Zone cap is working perfectly. I made them show me how it was vented before I put it on. It doesn't look like it is vented, but it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine