Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

ViperCLKGTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, HELLO ALL!! I've been reading these forums for years just never posted. I've just been doing my research and just soaking up all the Viper info I can for the day that I finally get to live out my dream.... Well.... that day is soon! Due to a recent promotion, I figured I would take the horrible Viper market and use it for my advantage. I've been looking and researching hundreds of Vipers since back in June-July time frame. I want my Viper to be perfect so I'm taking my time and checking everything. Right now my price range is very low(30,000-35,000 max) but I have been shocked at what that could get me! I'm pretty set on a Gen-2 but would take a Gen 1 no problem. I will be using it as a DD, I don't know where to start?!?! I need guidance! :rolaugh:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper dd happiness depends on where you live (among other things), imo.

gen i not a dd candidate w/o top and windows

to me, buying a perfect car and then turning it into a dd not the best thing given your budget as described

now is a great time to buy, you certainly won't regret it

OP
OP
V

ViperCLKGTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in my own little slice of paradise here in Gulfport, little city on the Mississippi Gulfcoast, 60 miles West to NOLA, 60 miles East to Mobile. Beautiful weather all year long only time it's not convertible season is December to late Febuary. All the other months it's perfect August it gets a little hot but I haven't used the A/C in my current vehicle in over a year, I'm a windows down guy.

As for DD I don't put over 5,000-6,000 miles on my cars a year, with it only being a 2-seater it would be even less because that gets me out of car pooling duty on group outings but not much more because I'm sure I'll cruise up and down our strip on beautiful days for fun all the time.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck on your search. I've owned a 94 Rt/10 for 14 years, for the amount of money you can spend as well as daily driving, I'd recommend a late 90's Gen II convertible. Lot's of nice ones are available here in the VCA classified's. Mike

OP
OP
V

ViperCLKGTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck on your search. I've owned a 94 Rt/10 for 14 years, for the amount of money you can spend as well as daily driving, I'd recommend a late 90's Gen II convertible. Lot's of nice ones are available here in the VCA classified's. Mike

Thanks Mike! That's most likely what I will do but let me shoot you a question being a Gen. I owner. I see alot of Gen I's with the double bubble and the glass side windows, does that increase the Gen I's liveability as a DD?

I just love what the Gen I has to offer plus there are just so many more avaliable plus for around 25 I've found quite a few Gen I's under 18,000 miles. I just wanna know what it would be like if I can't find a Gen II in my range

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few different hardtop options ... double bubble and lemke three piece top ... real windows are a requirement if you actually have to drive with them in, the fabric/vinyl windows that come with the Gen 1 provide very little visibility. As for which top to go with, it depends on a couple things...headroom being the largest. The three piece top while it will store in the trunk provides limited headroom while the bubble should allow you and a helmet to fit nicely. The advantage of the 3 piece is that you can store it in your trunk ... but then you have 0 trunk space...the bubble is either on or off

Part 2 ... all gen1's will leak in the rain. The bubble is probably better (less leaky) than the 3 piece since the 3 piece has seams. Also expect some leaking around the windows where they meet the roof and windshield...this may or may not affect your opinion as a Gen 1 as a DD.

If you can swing it, a late model Gen 2 is probably a better DD. ABS, upgraded suspension and real glass in the doors would be worth it if the price isn't to far off.

Another big advantage of the Gen 2 is that it has a lock on the door ... can't really lock a Gen 1 since you have to get into the car to open the door.

The Gen 2 is a better DD.

Whatever you end up getting, expect a few thousand $$ in maint/upgrades the first year ... tires/fluids/etc

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your in coastal MS, you don't need a hardtop unless you go to the track, the softop is easier to use and stores in the trunk. Gen II windows are regular, power windows. Gen I's, even aftermarket are fixed. Build quality and refinements get better each generation, more performance parts are available for Gen II then gen 1 plus you start 50 hp more. Side pipes look better, but are much louder and you'll want an aftermarket exhaust on whichever you choose. I say these things since you'll be driving daily, weekend car I'd side with Gen I if you're watching $$'s.. Drive both and decide for yourself. Each are great. Good luck.