Look at what I found when I took the front facia off my '96 GTS !!

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at what I found when I took the front facia off my \'96 GTS !!

This is actually kinda cool. I found a signature of someone who apparently had a part of assembling my '96 GTS along with a date. There's also 2 other areas on the back of the front facia with writing. One has initials and a date, and the other is something similar.
Who is this person who signed my front facia ?? Anyone know ??

How could I find out ??

Here's pictures of the signature:

You must be registered for see images

I think it's Kim Franklin, but not 100% sure

Initials C.W. maybe ??

What does the number 29 stand for ??

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Look at what I found when I took the front facia off my \'96 GTS !!

Dan -- Do you know the MDH for your car? This is the MonthDayHour the car was built -- on the newer GTSs it is shown as a 6-digit number in the lower left corner of the barcode sticker on the driver's door. Not sure where it would be on a '96. Might be helpful to see if the date/signature corresponds with the manufacturing time for your car or earlier when the fascia was molded.

Good luck.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan:
Could you make a picture from the backside of the front fascia and mark all the screws and pins which hold the fascia in place.
I have to remove the front fascia and the service manual is a little bit short on this issue.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can find many parts signed off for. One area that comes to mind is to look at the inside of the finder wells and you should see a sticker on both sides in the front that has sigs. I dont keep track of them but I remember seeing several sign offs.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Dan, how difficult was it to take off the facia? I am getting ready to do this today, help.

Mike

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well.... At least you didn't find a dead bird in there. I thought you were going to say somthing like that when I read the title.

96 R/T 10, facia is real easy to take off.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A time capsule ;) Pretty kewl actually. You should call DC and a find out if Kim Franklin still works there. CW would probably be harder to track down, but they might get a kick out of hearing from you (and the car).

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"96 R/T 10, facia is real easy to take off" A little more detailed please. Is it just the bolts and screws around the outside of the unit?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A little more detailed please. Is it just the bolts and screws around the outside of the unit?

remove 2 bolts holding hood latch handle to facia
remove bolts holding facia to inner wheel well (5 each side)
remove bolts on bottom of facia
remove upper radiator enclosure cover (flat plastic held on by 4 bolts in front of air intake box)
remove left and right side of the upper radiator enclosure (the plastic underneath the cover you just removed. Held on by 1 plastic push pin each.)
There are two locking nuts, one immediately farther to the right of the enclosure side that you removed on the right side, one immediately farther to the left of the left side enclore. Loosen these.
If you look into the front of the facia, you will see 4 nuts holding it on, 2 on each side. You want to loosen the inner 2, one on each side.

Place masking tape around the edges of the facia at the wheel wells on both sides.
Slowly peel the facia ends way from the radiator support at the wheel wells.

Place a soft blanket underneath the facia and another blanket where you will set it down when it is removed.

When you are ready, remove all the nuts you just loosened and slide the facia forward and let it rest on the blanket you placed underneath it.

Reach in and unplug the headlight and foglight connectors.

Carefully move the facia to the other blanket.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the guy who's making my car pretty again took most of the hardware out of it, and I basically helped remove it.

I wonder if the number 29 has any significance..

My car is number 000049