Looking for help, Taking Radio Out for iPod Kit

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife just bought me the Mopar iPod Integration Kit.

Can anyone provide instructions on how to get the dash panel and radio out?

Before I ruin anything I'd figure I'd ask the forum before tackling the Job.

Also,

Has anyone installed this kit with the standard RBQ radio and how does it work?

Would you recommend upgrading to the RB1 at the same time?

Thanks,

Joel

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have sirrus also, if so the ipod kit will not work properly without a new cable, the factory harness is missing a wire, if you dont have sirrus you are fine.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
From memory:
Remove shift knob. I just pulled the leather boot down to expose the nuts. Others pull up bezel first and work underneath it to loosen the knob.
Remove center bezel. It is just pressed in - so no screws to remove. Gently pry up and it will pop out. Remove wires for cig lighter and window controls.
Remove dash bezel. Hex head screws + one phillips on the lower edge. Disconnect wires from heat controls and start button. Kind of a pain as wires are short, so you dont have much room to get your hands at the connectors.
Remove 4 screws holding radio in. Disconnect wires and antenna wire.

For IPod adaptor box. There is not much room behind the glove box, but I tucked mine to the outside top corner as best as I could and used the velcro mounting tape. Still needed to trim the glove box just a tad. (I removed the glove box to make it a little easier to work - but it may not be necessary to do that.) Someone else said they found a spot in the footwell area on the passenger side. I ran the Ipod connector wire into the center console storage area.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory:
Remove shift knob. I just pulled the leather boot down to expose the nuts. Others pull up bezel first and work underneath it to loosen the knob.
Remove center bezel. It is just pressed in - so no screws to remove. Gently pry up and it will pop out. Remove wires for cig lighter and window controls.
Remove dash bezel. Hex head screws + one phillips on the lower edge. Disconnect wires from heat controls and start button. Kind of a pain as wires are short, so you dont have much room to get your hands at the connectors.
Remove 4 screws holding radio in. Disconnect wires and antenna wire.

For IPod adaptor box. There is not much room behind the glove box, but I tucked mine to the outside top corner as best as I could and used the velcro mounting tape. Still needed to trim the glove box just a tad. (I removed the glove box to make it a little easier to work - but it may not be necessary to do that.) Someone else said they found a spot in the footwell area on the passenger side. I ran the Ipod connector wire into the center console storage area.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Juice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do you have sirrus also, if so the ipod kit will not work properly without a new cable, the factory harness is missing a wire, if you dont have sirrus you are fine.

What cable is that? I'm planning on going with Sirius + Ipod.

And where can I get the Sirius receiver? Can I just use a regular Alpine Sirius receiver?

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It the 8 ft extension cable, the factory wiring harness is missing 1 wire that only causes a problem when you connect the sirius+ipod, if you only have one or the other, there is no problem.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to install a ipod kit, does that affect the in-dash CD-player in any way?

OP
OP
J

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to install a ipod kit, does that affect the in-dash CD-player in any way?

I'll let you know once I install the kit. It turned out they shipped the wrong kit. There are two kits, one for the Viper type radios and another for the newer models. I'm still waiting for them to re-ship the right kit.

Hopefully I'll get it installed next weekend.