Looking to buy a brake cooling kit for a Gen II 2001 GTS ACR

swisspower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Jon and unfortunately got to know that the brake cooling kits are no longer produced and available. So I wanted to see, does anyone have a new one or a slightly used one for sale?
Peter
AKA Swisspower
SoCal Viper Club:drive:

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, this is spookey!
I did the same mod 2 yrs ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, this is spookey!
I did the same mod 2 yrs ago.

What is the piece on the end next to the caliper? I've been looking for something instead of just having the hose pointed there bare. The only thing that I have found are the ACR-X caliper shrouds but they want like $950 for them, that's just crazy!

DaveGF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have one of the Bobby Archer ViperSpeed kits that was SCCA certified for T-1 back in the day. I'll check this weekend if you are interested. Likely used. Jon B used to sell them as well. It does require cutting the fascia at the bottom edge so if that is a non-starter, let me know. It works much better than fog light opening cooling systems. Do a search and you will see people like Woodhouse saying the fog light opening systems are poor performers.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the piece on the end next to the caliper? I've been looking for something instead of just having the hose pointed there bare. The only thing that I have found are the ACR-X caliper shrouds but they want like $950 for them, that's just crazy!

I have the caliper shrouds for much much less than that...

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you also have lower temp hoses.

The orange ones are what you want.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a somewhat used copy of the Cone cooling duct instructions that I can send. It has very specific instructions about where to cut the holes in the wheel well although the instructions that ViperTony posted are also pretty good.

One question. I had read that the best place to direct air to was the center of the rotor rather than the caliper. The pictures in the Cone instructions seemed to imply that as I didn't see any shrouds pictured for the calipers? However it appears that it is tough to route the hose so that air is routed into the disk center, so, maybe the other way is better. I wouldn't mind seeing more clear pictures of the wheel well end of the hose placement, myself.

OP
OP
S

swisspower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
Thanks so much for your great responses. I went ahead and ordered the parts from Pegasus to do the brake ducting cooling kit myself. One additional upgrade I will do is adding stainless steel mesh in the front opening of the air intake to eliminate possible debris and stone entry into the air cooling duct which could possibly hurt the brake calipers or the rotors. Also, I am still not sure, which air hose positioning will be better, towards the center of the rotor or towards the caliper?. If the caliper position is recommended, how crucial would it be to get the shrouds?
Peter
AKA Swisspower

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do gen 2's brakes run hot?.. I know the car itself does.. haha

this isnt something I should be concerned with if it's just a weekend driver?

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeh I agree, the caliper shrouds at $950 where not gonna happen for me either so I designed my own bracket mounted off the hub as an initial/temporary measure - I'll upload a photo later.
I figured gettin cooling air down in to the brake and rotor area was the most important thing and was gonna be challenging enough so didn't worry too much about the shrouds - I could tart it up a bit with a set of shrouds later maybe when opportunity knocks or my track driving skills demand better cooling.
I'm currently forcing air onto the caliper as shown which works well for me at the moment but the best way is definitely with shrouds.
L
A
T
E
R

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do gen 2's brakes run hot?.. I know the car itself does.. haha

this isnt something I should be concerned with if it's just a weekend driver?

When you say "weekend driver" do you mean at a road course or just cruising around town? For most drivers the brakes do get hot on road courses. No need to worry about such just driving around town unless you spend a lot of time running from cops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi