Looks like a Scam

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an email reply to an AD I placed. Looks like a scam huh?

Thanks for your mail and price of $58,000.00 well accepted,however i want to confirm from my client how the payment would be,the amount in the check that is suppose to be given to you is likely to be more than what should be paid to you.The company that is owning my customer wants to make out check with the whole amount,Inorderwards, the refund will take care of the shippment cost and agent fees.
I would need a honest person regards to this very purchase b/c my Customer can not fund earlier inspection so we count on the information you provided.We can only proceed with this transaction if you can assure me that information you provided about your car are correct.

Please get back to me the moment you recieve this mail for more clearifications.
Thanks....Mr. Williams

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Standard "refund" scam.

Let them go through the trouble/expense of overnighting the check, then keep it as a souvenier.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like one of those Nigerian scam letters. Or else this person is still in the third grade.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have my 04 Viper for sale and have gotten the same reply.
I wish I knew of a way to give these jerkoffs a taste of their own medicine!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the check and go to a low budget "check cashing" store and cash it.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my buddy had this happen and tried to beet them at there own game...even called the FBI who could care less

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the check and go to a low budget "check cashing" store and cash it.

A check cashing store ain't gonna cash a $58k check and, if they do, they will come after YOU for the "bounced" funds, not the remittor, as will any bank.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I'd have a little fun with this, so I asked for his phone number. Here is his reply and then mine back.........

Mr. Williams, how about providing me with you phone number and we can speak over the phone.

Brannon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: james williams <[email protected]> [ Save Address ]
To: [email protected]
Subject: PAYMENT STATUS AND SHIPPINNG ARRANGEMENT.....
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:27:24 +0000

Hello Brannon Handerson

Thanks for your mail,I am presently on a business trip in Australia hence my preference for email as means of communication but i will call you as soon as you recieve your payment.I have spoken to my client and he has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $65,900 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of car $58,000.00 . when payment gets to you and refund balance $7,900.00 to my customer via western union money transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges down here and from there.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come pick up title and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documets will be sent by you via fedex courier to my customer.

Confirm this and provide name,address and phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier.

Thanks...Mr.Williams

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Williams,

You spelled my last name wrong! In my culture it is very offensive to misspell
someone's last name. I'm afraid you'll have to pay more for the car now. This
is very unfortunate.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i got almost the same email froma guy when i was selling a 2003 350Z.....do they think someone will actually fall for this?

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes, someone will fall for it. They do this because people want to believe it. :(

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what if someone cashs the cheque and doenst' send them anything lol!

The check isn't valid. Your bank may cash it initially, but 30 days later when they discover it's bogus, your bank will collect the NSF funds from you or your account.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather