Looking to purchase

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Little back story. In 2021 I purchased a 2003 SRT10. Earlier this year I traded it in for a 2015 manual C7 Z06. I really enjoyed the Viper but at the time the Z06 just felt so much more refined and definitely a lot faster. However, the car is dare I say too fast. Can’t even get on it hard in 2nd gear without breaking loose. Plus driving it doesn’t feel that special or visceral. The Viper I would just drive around with no plans. The Vette has been driven like that a couple times but it just doesn’t feel the same. Plus you see them everywhere.

I’ve determined that I absolutely miss my Viper and want to sell/trade the Vette to get back into a Viper. I’m looking for a Gen 2 or Gen 5. The body lines are just timeless. Budget is $110-120k. I just can’t decide which Gen to go for. Any and all help and opinions would be appreciated from those who have one or the other or have driven both. Thanks!!

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 verrrry different cars that just share the name.

Go drive a Gen5 thats listed for sale.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Goggles Pizano has made a very important point. If you have not driven both a Gen II and a Gen V, you need to do so...or at least ride in them. The Gen V GTS is certainly a nice riding Viper while a Gen II is a little rougher ride.

Either Gen can become a handful instantly if one does not keep one's head in the game. It is true that the Gen V has some more advanced safety features...but, these are not sufficient to save your Aslp if you exceed the operational envelope...adjusted for environmental conditions. Judging from your comments on the Corvette,, I am guessing that this will be a cruiser for you and not a racer..

As an old, confirmed street-driver of mostly unmodified Vipers of all generations, I would suggest that you also consider age of car along with parts availability in your decision.

After you consider some of the above mentioned facets, there is nothing wrong with deciding on a given generation based upon looks as long as both "candidates" are in excellent overall condition. Style is a matter of personal taste. Good hunting !!

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goggles Pizano has made a very important point. If you have not driven both a Gen II and a Gen V, you need to do so...or at least ride in them. The Gen V GTS is certainly a nice riding Viper while a Gen II is a little rougher ride.

Either Gen can become a handful instantly if one does not keep one's head in the game. It is true that the Gen V has some more advanced safety features...but, these are not sufficient to save your Aslp if you exceed the operational envelope...adjusted for environmental conditions. Judging from your comments on the Corvette,, I am guessing that this will be a cruiser for you and not a racer..

As an old, confirmed street-driver of mostly unmodified Vipers of all generations, I would suggest that you also consider age of car along with parts availability in your decision.

After you consider some of the above mentioned facets, there is nothing wrong with deciding on a given generation based upon looks as long as both "candidates" are in excellent overall condition. Style is a matter of personal taste. Good hunting !!
Excellent points. I don’t plan on tracking the car or doing any sort of racing. It’ll mainly be for cruising and some spirited driving. The Gen III I had was a great car without traction control or other creature comforts that’s you’d find in newer vehicles. I actually miss that.

I wish I could drive both the Gen II and Gen V. It’d only be a matter of setting up a test drive since either one are around 100 miles minimum from me.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think much of the improved ride in the later cars owes to a longer wheelbase. I recall it's around 4 inches.

Last edited:

Sickspeed40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You stuck on II or V ? Im actually thinking of trading for a vette right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpeg
    IMG_1104.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 4

Money_pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be interested in selling my 06 , $80k . If you are interested we can discuss over the phone . Located in FL.

Attachments

• 20230415_170708.jpg
    20230415_170708.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala