Loose Intake Manifold Bolts - Locktite?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the heads off this weekend to start on my bad lifter. While doing so, the intake manifold bolts were extremely loose. Most of the passenger side didn't even require the ratchet. One of the bolts was completely gone.

Do you folks put locktite on the intake manifold bolts or just tighten every so often?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the heads off this weekend to start on my bad lifter. While doing so, the intake manifold bolts were extremely loose. Most of the passenger side didn't even require the ratchet. One of the bolts was completely gone.

Do you folks put locktite on the intake manifold bolts or just tighten every so often?

From what I have seen, with a proper torque at the initial install.......at some point after that it's not that the bolts have loosened but that the gasket has compressed and another tightening is in order. After that no more issues. (same with header gaskets) If this is true and you use locktite you can't retorque or rather the Locktite was a waste of time. Easy to check them and if one wanted to use locktite I would wait until I retorque at least one, maybe two times.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, on the GEN III engines, they're *NOT* easy to check.
On the trucks there are a few that are very tough to access. On the cars, even moreso.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, on the GEN III engines, they're *NOT* easy to check.
On the trucks there are a few that are very tough to access. On the cars, even moreso.

That's nice, but we are in the gen1/2 forum ;)
Next you will be telling us that you can't just remove four small nuts and have complete access to the engine bay :lmao:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pop one latch and I have complete access to my engine bay. :D

My point was to answer the OP's question regarding loc-tite and manifold bolts.
On(c)e-and-done sort of applies to all GENs.

I'd hate to limit my knowledge and experience with these engines to the GEN III areas, but.....

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just found the same loose intake manifold condition as the OP when replacing my thermostat. All but 5 bolts were loose, one was ready to fall out. Chuck said this is very common and recommended checking them along with the valve cover bolts periodically.

If you have a low speed miss as I did ( now gone), you might want to check it out. They are to be torqued to 95in/lbs. Make sure that you follow the pattern in the manual.

BTW, Chuck did not suggest using loctite in our conversation. In previous conversations he has always been very clear as to what color Loctite to use and when. Since he didn't mention it, I would surmise that it is not recommended.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang