Love the GenV, but stings a little swapping the blue for green

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a knock or a disappointed, just ... lamenting about something that really doesn't matter I guess. Was talking about this with my son last night. I've had 7 BMWs, 2 Porsches, many various foreign makes, but have always proudly flown red, white & blue in the garage with 8 mustangs and 3 vipers to my credit. Even thru the past transactions with Chrysler, the Daimler merger & co-chairing, and then the New York based Cerberus, etc., the viper has remained american to me.

Now with the 58.5% Fiat ownership, and the minority interest VEBA going on the trading market in the not too distant future, it's hard to see it other than an Italian company with soon to be publicly traded minority stock. Which really makes the viper ... no longer the arguably best performance american car, or US exotic, but an Italian variation, and certainly still one of the best performance (especially for the $) cars there is.

Yes, I know they saved the car, and yes I'm graciously thankful, make no mistake there.

I know it doesn't matter to many or most I'm sure, probably flame my patriotic waxing-on emotionally about a car as being silly, that's OK, I understand that perspective too, it's just a car. But it is a bitter-sweet point for me, to see the next gen stronger than ever and poised to dominate, but for it to be more appropriate to put an Italian moniker on it than USA. :usa:

The car rocks, and I'm excited as h_ll about it, and I want one, yes, give me another glass of the viper kool aid, I'm a fanboy, and proud of the develpoment team, can't wait to see how it rules the market in performance, but .... oh well.

Anyway, back to the celebration and further expectation. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be built at Conner Ave which will be built in America By Americans.

Yea, I hear ya, but sounds like a Honda commercial or BMW in Spartanburg, SC, etc., or a Chevy plant in Canada ... just not the same.

But that's the point that keeps the other point mute for me, or mute enough, lol, that it has the american spirit, design, built, etc.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, and I've had them ..well the 4 now. But like I say, I'm in to the Gen5 already & haven't even seen it in person, love the combo of old & new, not enough heartburn to keep me outta the game, just .... ehh. Whatever I guess.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler is certainly a lot better managed company with Fiat as a partner than they were with that good old New York 3 headed company that sucked cash out instead of investing in new product.
But you also need to dig a little deeper as to what is really an "American car" As far as we know right now the seat shells and leather come from the same supplier as Ferrari. I'm just assuming that's a non American company, but no other foreign parts have been mentioned. The Viper was developed in America, by Americans and will be built in America at Conner by Americans.

Check this website for the percentage of American parts in the Mustang .......65%.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/page?id=13795239

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler is certainly a lot better managed company with Fiat as a partner than they were with that good old New York 3 headed company that sucked cash out instead of investing in new product.
But you also need to dig a little deeper as to what is really an "American car" As far as we know right now the seat shells and leather come from the same supplier as Ferrari. I'm just assuming that's a non American company, but no other foreign parts have been mentioned. The Viper was developed in America, by Americans and will be built in America at Conner by Americans.

Check this website for the percentage of American parts in the Mustang .......65%.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/page?id=13795239

but I did not hear of any other

Yea, this is something we've kicked around a few times over the years, Mexico, Canada, etc., manufacturing, outsourced parts, etc.

I agree 100%, it looks like the management and 'marriage' is better now than ever before. And I think maybe the 'what's an American car?' topic is morphing, I'm trying to get my old dog mentality updated, I sure want it to be. Hey, if I can now appreciate the value of a sport-mode stability control system vs where I was on that topic 5 yrs ago, there's hope for me on any topic. lol

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It is also important for the profits of a domestic manufacturer, to benefit the nation of origin. Foreign company ownership transfers wealth across borders, regardless of where a product is made, or who puts the nuts on the bolts.

Having said that, it might be a moot point, since publically traded companies allow profit sharing worldwide.

The world is gelling into one global economy, borderless, where international bankers and industrialists are free to extract profits from any investment vehicle or method available. This will continue until the industrial revolution has created an equilibrium in the cost of labor, spreading through all developing countries, until there is no more divergence in labor costs worldwide.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not all bad though, Chrysler now has access to a lot of technology it didn't used to. Do you think they would just hand it over for free?