Low Cold Start Idle and Stall

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 with Paxton barely idles at 500, or less, and if I don't tap the pedal, it will stall. Once it's run a bit all is well. Any ideas? This was the same experience that my son had with it and he just accepted it. I didn't see this until recently so I don't know if it's something more evolving. I got the car in September last year and run it back and forth from GA to NC weekly and these few weeks it has cropped up. I guess I can rev it up and toast it a little but I don't think the neighbors would be too appreciative at 6 AM. Is there a cold idle sensor maybe and the Paxton alters the response?
Thanks, Max

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 with Paxton barely idles at 500, or less, and if I don't tap the pedal, it will stall. Once it's run a bit all is well. Any ideas? This was the same experience that my son had with it and he just accepted it. I didn't see this until recently so I don't know if it's something more evolving. I got the car in September last year and run it back and forth from GA to NC weekly and these few weeks it has cropped up. I guess I can rev it up and toast it a little but I don't think the neighbors would be too appreciative at 6 AM. Is there a cold idle sensor maybe and the Paxton alters the response?
Thanks, Max

Battery. Exacty what mine did last year with the old battery. She would light, sputter a second or two, and stall, like an old carburated car. Tap on the pedal, and she stayed lit. New battery solved that problem. Idle sensor is very voltage sensitive.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This could be an idle control motor issue as well. The IAC motor does not want to work when cold, if your battery checks OK this is most likely the cause.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy check- take it for a long drive and start it the next morning. Likely will be gone. Happens to mine when sitting for a while.

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery. Exacty what mine did last year with the old battery. She would light, sputter a second or two, and stall, like an old carburated car. Tap on the pedal, and she stayed lit. New battery solved that problem. Idle sensor is very voltage sensitive.

But my son told me that he's always had this and he just lived with it. It doesn't matter whether it's a few hours or days, the action is the same. I'd figure a weak battery would accentuate on standing dormant but it doesn't change the outcome.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could be other causes, but I still think your battery is weak. Now, if the battery is new, or checks out OK on a tester, than time to dig more.