Low Idle and bogging when cold

GOT VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last 4 weeks when I first start my car in the morning it bogs and very low idle like it's gonna stall. I hold the gas pedal down so it would run smooth at around 800 rpm after about 5 minutes when it warms up it goes back to normal,this never happend before anybody have this problem?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try cleaning the sensor in the air cleaner houshing with Part Number 08866 3M THROTTLE PLATE & INTAKE SPRAY. this is safe for all emmission sensors. Then I would replace your plugs with Autolite XP985 plugs. You will not believe the difference!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Try cleaning the sensor in the air cleaner houshing with Part Number 08866 3M THROTTLE PLATE & INTAKE SPRAY. this is safe for all emmission sensors. Then I would replace your plugs with Autolite XP985 plugs. You will not believe the difference!

I would NOT replace your plugs with XP985's, those are the same heat range as OEM. His car is supercharged.

Contact me for better plug options, or check the pos in the Gen-2 forum titled "spark plug recommendations".

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the exact problem but something somewhat similar.

When I start mine from a cold condition it will go through a short time period where it has a lot of misfire and pop back. Almost a pinging type noise. It almost sounds like an intake valve not closing but I do not think that is the cause. I have replaced the spark plugs to no effect (and please don't try to push the Ford plugs on me) and redone all of the split second wiring, also to no effect.

It is not consistent but always occurs during the warm-up. If I immediately drive after starting I will not notice it but it is most apparent at idle and off-idle. I believe it to be sensor or the Paxton add-on control unit related (could be a huge spark retard during the open loop idle/low speed operation has the spark so late as to cause backfires).

Note I had well over 1000 miles on it before having this condition.

Are you using the split second unit?

If so that would be one point of commonality with me.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had that happen to my supercharged car as well. But it hasn't happened since the winter.

I had a fix installed.

heated garage

:p :p

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
New plugs will help. I just changed mine and found three looser than they should have been. Stock plugs gapped at .032" work well for me.

Daniel, I would be open to trying the next heat range colder. What do you recommend?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg