Low Profile Speaker Grill?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fellas - I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything...

I bought and installed a set of JL Audio ZR650ci's in my 97 GTS, and the grill sticks out too far on the passenger side and mashes up against the passenger dash panel when the door is shut. It simply sticks out too far.

I'd like to keep the speakers, but need to find a solution to the clearance issue. For those of you who have gone with custom 6.5s in the doors, what speakers did you go with and did they clear the passenger dash? If not, how did you modify to make it work?

I'm looking to go with some low profile grills that will clear, so need to know which grills will work, or if anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Jason
Hampton Roads, VA

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with Focal 6.5 components. I also ran into that problem and what I did was use the Focal's grills with the grill mount. I took the actual grill and shaved off 1/4 of an inch so the grill sat flush with the grill mount. No issues and it actually sits outside where the oem grills sit. I use to live there so you might have seen them installed in my car before, not sure if I have met you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang