Lowering the SRT - anything available at this point or in the making

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this high on my list as I want to have those huge wheel/fender gaps shortend.
From looking at a couple of SRTs sitting at a local dealer here in south FL it seems to mee that an inch wont interfear with its driverbility.

Anyone done this already - comments - who has the kit (if it exists - JonB ??)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the Northwind short coil caps might work on the SRT-10 Viper as well. It's makes sense that they would.

They only lower the Viper 5/8", but with the Viper's low ground clearance it makes for a nice compromise, narrowing the wheel well gap visually, but still providing enough ground clearance to make it over speed bumps and into driveways.

-Dean.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, several people have commented on the large gaps, especially in the back. The problem you encounter with lowering the car is that it could potentially affect the handling of the car. Realize that the car was designed how it sits currently and changing the suspension will undoubtedly throw off some of the design parameters. Don't know how it would affect it, but I suspect it would in more ways than one.

Chris

OP
OP
H

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

I agree with you and I have the same concern about the car's original intented design parameters, but would Snakster's/Northwind option cause any real change to this except lowering the car 5/8".
As I understand it, the Northwind option retains the suspension stock except for the change to the shorter coil caps of course - i.e lower ride smaller gap and retaining the same original intented handling specifics.

Would there be any cons to that at all.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had my SRT parked beside my friends GTS and observed that the wheel gap on the GTS seems greater than on the SRT...

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my experience, assuming the same spring rate and travel, the only negative consequences of lowering a car moderately would be ground clearance and bump steer. The clearance problem is self evident, and the bump steer, depending on how bad it is can often be corrected by shimming the related steering parts.

The up side, besides the look, is a lower center of gravity which should improve the cornering and braking performance, assuming the spring rate is constant.

Increasing the spring rate would change the parameters and require shock absorbers with higer control rates. Higher spring rates can sometimes actually hurt braking performance and cornering, depending on the smoothness of the road surface.

That being said, I have not lowered an SRT Viper and you really can't be sure what the overall effect will be til you try it. The good part is that all the original parts will bolt back on.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hans,

I agree with aspviper. When I washed my SRT-10 this weekend, it seemed like I had barely enough room to get my hand in there to clean the wheel wells. I don't think there is much difference between the genII and genIII wheel gaps. One inch smaller would make it very inconvenient for the OCD segment of our membership.......then again, I think that's just about everyone here. :)