Lug nut size

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of getting flamed for being too anal, I'm about to break the stock wheels off my 2000 GTS for the first time and I don't want to screw up the finish on the lug nuts. Seems like the socket size is a deep 3/4", but when I put my SnakeOyls on everything was metric. Can anyone confirm before I get started? Thanks
You must be registered for see images

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something you might want to also do is get a set of McGard lug nuts for your Viper. When I removed my original nuts, I was disappointed to see that they are the "capped" kind...with the metal caps that bend, pop off, etc. And, if they are like the ones on my Bronco, when the caps come off....the nut underneath is a different size! The McGards are guaranteed to not chip, and htye look very much like the factory nuts.

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I found a 19mm at Auto Zone but it is a 3/8" drive and my torque wrench and breaker bar are both 1/2". The Craftsman catalog doesn't show a 1/2" drive 19mm deep so I'm wondering if anyone has found one anywhere. I hate to use a crossover adapter.

Matt, where can I find the McGuard lugs? Thanks

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whay can't we delete our own posts?

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by BWoodbury on May 14, 2001 at 14:18</font>

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a set of metric impact sockets in 1/2 inch. They will fit your socket wrench just fine. Better yet get a compressor and an air gun to go with them...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You can buy a single 3/4" deep impact socket with 1/2" drive made by Stanley for about $9.00 at Pep Boys. They also have single 19mm impact sockets in 1/2" drive for about $7.00....both seem to fit '01 Viper lug nuts with same amount of play...would have PREFERRED 19mm DEEP but they didn't have any.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...and if you REALLY want to protect your lug nuts AND wheels, try the 1/2 " drive custom, PROTECTED impact socket sets from Griot's Garage...17mm, 19mmm, and 21mm set and/or 3/4", 7/8", 1", 1 1/16", and 1 3/16" set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper