Macedo tuned stock 99 GTS runs 11.2

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Three or four Vipers were out at Orlando Speed World tonight low 60 F. Macedo did his magic again. A stock engine 99 GTS owned by Bow Tew went 11.28 @ 120.28 mph. 60 ft was 1.578, 1/8 was an incredible 7.24 @ 96.57. The car was driven by Gary Soltys (sp) who showed his impressive driving skill. I believe the car has Exhaust, headers, smooth tubes, and some tunning by Macedo, and the Pruner drag tire combo, otherwise a stock engine. I am not sure if that is a record for a stock motor, but it must be close. Way to go Bob, Gary, and Larry.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Macedo really seems to have a handle on the Viper whether it is s/c'd or n/a. He has made some power and his customers have laid down the times. Any idea how much power the car makes?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great run. Not really stock if it has any mods at all. He would have to run in the mod 1 class at any Viper events. My car ran almost exact time with same mods 1.59 60ft , 7.28 1/8 @ 96.85mph and 11.30 @ 122mph. This would be a car I would like to race with being so equal. Would make it alot of fun. John you will have to bring him with you next time you guys come to Bradenton.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 11.22 at 121 with same combo (mine had/has Belanger exhaust system) at Orlando 4 years ago.

Always nice to see Vipers being driven to their potential.

Nice Job Larry!

Tom

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary did an awesome job driving Bob's car last night since it was his first time in the car and first time on slicks and skinnies as well. Run after run, Gary was clicking off faster times until the track trolls booted the car because of the invisible roll bar. I would wager he'd have been able to run in the teens, but we'll have to wait for another day. A BIG thanks to Bob Tew for allowing us to play with your car, Sir!

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Varanus, it is a stock engine with nothing but bolt ons and tunning, no head work, cam, power adders etc. Gary, the driver only made 3 passes before being shut down by tech, I think if he could have made 3 or 4 more passes he would have been in the 11.1s range, plus this was his first time on et streets and skinnies.

Mike,

The other times were nothing to write home about. My clutch finally gave way, the best pass I had before it took a dump was 11.3 at 125 on the BFG Drag Radials, but I had to granny shift it. There was a stock, except for filters and tubes, 1996 GTS driven by Keith a new Viper owner. He went 12.05 at 119 mph. He does have 373s, but I think it is too much gear and he probably would have gone faster on 355s or 331s. It was cool out, but there was a lot of humidity as well, the fog rolled in about 830 pm and the track got loose from dew.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Bob Tew(car's owner)and Gary Soltys (sp)Driver!!! Bob will need to add both(times and driver) to Bob's avatar. :2tu:

This time is awesome especially since Orlando track is known for poor traction, you need to make a trip to Bradenton Motorsports Dragstrip and drive that time even lower. Also if Bob can pick up a Vec 1(a lot of people's secret non motor mod :D ) you will be able to drive that time even LOWER. :headbang:

Cudaman :usa:

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Bob Tew(car's owner)and Gary Gary Soltys (sp)Driver!!! Bob will need to add both(times and driver) to Bob's avatar. :2tu:

This time is awesome especially since Orlando track is known for poor traction, you need to make a trip to Bradenton Motorsports Dragstrip and drive that time even lower. Also if Bob can pick up a Vec 1(a lot of people's secret non motor mod :D ) you will be able to drive that time even LOWER. :headbang:

He may not need Vec1 if Larry already did some special tuning to it. Why is Vec1 a secret most people say they have it just like I do in my sig. Yea its like a secret 200 shot of Nos. What kind of tuning did Larry do to Bob's car. Ward is your car still broke?

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how is your "rollbar" holding up mike? id love to see some pics, lee was telling me about it.

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the car has Exhaust, headers, smooth tubes, and some tunning by Macedo, and the Pruner drag tire combo, otherwise a stock engine. I

Not to be an *** but has is this car "Stock" ? :confused:

Maybe a stock long block, but I wouldn't call it a "Stock '99 GTS. I guess I have a differnt idea what "stock" means, I think 100% from the factory is "stock".

my .02

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how is your "rollbar" holding up mike? id love to see some pics, lee was telling me about it.

Yea I told Lee how they were on you that night so I came up with a quick fix. It worked great they walked up to the car to check and walked away. I now have a real BTR roll bar installed. If you want my old one it will cost you $35 :)

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike ....my car is at Macedo Motorsports for upgrades....

A new fuel system with upgraded fuel lines and return lines are currently being installed. A Aero fuel pump and regulator and filtering system is my and Larry's choice of fuel systems. The Walbro pump can no longer support the horsepower my car is putting down to the track.

Transmission is being upgraded as well ....it is being blueprinted and upgraded with steel shifting forks(not with the stock aluminum forks)and other transsmission upgrades are being installed. Larry Macedo is also putting in a B&M shifter.

My 1939 Plymouth Coupe has a 125 hp shot of Nitrous with the capability (of 2 upgrades which I own) of doing a 175 and 250 hp shot if I so desire.

I have never and have no current plans to install Nitrous on my Viper.......my car has full capability of making a 10.3 pass each and every time my gas petal hits the floor.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not impressed. I can run a 12.2 at 118.5 with a STOCK Viper on 2yo michelins. Put slicks and skinnies on it and I'll be at 120mph and the low 11's as well. NO headers. NO exhaust.
I don't think the speed (indicative of power) is really there.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike ....my car is at Macedo Motorsports for upgrades....

A new fuel system with upgraded fuel lines and return lines are currently being installed. A Aero fuel pump and regulator and filtering system is my and Larry's choice of fuel systems. The Walbro pump can no longer support the horsepower my car is putting down to the track.

Transmission is being upgraded as well ....it is being blueprinted and upgraded with steel shifting forks(not with the stock aluminum forks)and other transsmission upgrades are being installed. Larry Macedo is also putting in a B&M shifter.

My 1939 Plymouth Coupe has a 125 hp shot of Nitrous with the capability (of 2 upgrades which I own) of doing a 175 and 250 hp shot if I so desire.

I have never and have no current plans to install Nitrous on my Viper.......my car has full capability of making a 10.3 pass each and every time my gas petal hits the floor.

I was only asking because you told me your trans broke.
Don't remember asking anything about a 1939 coupe :confused:
Did someone say or think you had nos :confused: I also don't remember asking if you did or ever were :confused: What I did say only was Vec1 was my BIG SECRET of 200shot nos :D

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We forgot to mention how well Keith ran with his bone stock 97 GTS on 6 yo Michelin MXX3 Pilots. He busted off a 12.05 @ 119 and hasn't been driving a manual transmission for the last 3 years. He recently sold his Impala SS that we built, which ran low 11's and purchased a pristine GTS. Congrats to Keith for a great showing as well!

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm not impressed. I can run a 12.2 at 118.5 with a STOCK Viper on 2yo michelins. Put slicks and skinnies on it and I'll be at 120mph and the low 11's as well. NO headers. NO exhaust.
I don't think the speed (indicative of power) is really there.

Not impressed, put slicks and skinnes on your car and you may run an 11.6 - 11.7. Now 12.2 for a 97 GTS, that is what is un-impressive, most good divers can pilot a 97 on street tires into the high 11s. Running low 11s on a Viper motor with stock internals is not as easy as you think, even with the headers. On a better track Gary might have gotten to 11.1 or lower.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike ...you were confused and misunderstood me :confused: .... I was broke from putting money into the car.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike ...you were confused and misunderstood me :confused: .... I was broke from putting money into the car.

NO I clearly understood you tell me the reason you did not have your car at Bradenton was because your transmission was broke. Why is this supposed to be a secret. Nothing to feel ashamed of sh t happens in racing. :2tu:

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm new here but not new to racing. As Larry mentioned in an earlier post he built the motor in my 96 Impala SS that was running mid 11's on motor. That was a challenge with a 4200# car but now its gone.
Now, its a new challenge with a 3200# car and just as much power. I haven't driven a manual in over 8 years so there's going to be a learning curve. However, I do think that a 1.868 60' on 7YO Pilots ain't bad. Then finishing out with a 12.05 @ 119.69mph isn't bad either. I know that new tires will make a big change but I need to finish off these originals first. :D
I am side open to suggestions with lauching techniques. :cool:

Thanks,
Keith

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper board and congrats on a great run with a stock car first time out. Theres alot of people that have owned Vipers with more mods that still can't run those times. I'm sure Larry will have you in much lower times soon. Good luck.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fuelman,
I didn't mention that this was the first and only run my car has ever made on the track. I ran a 2.2 60' time and hit the rev limiter in 3rd. I had to leave the track early due to family duty. The Viper lauches quite a bit differently than my supercharged Vette, but I don't think an 11.9 is out out the question and I'll be at the V10 Nationals show any naysayers.

Hope to see you there.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, fuelman,
I just returned from the V10 Nats and I ran an 11.84 at 119.2mph on pilots! Just imagine if I bolted on a set of headers, full exhaust, and ET streets. But the GTS is my wife's car, and she just lets me borrow it to race. Macedo did a fine job, but it takes a lot more to impress me these days.
Heck, roadracer Dean Word finally worked his "almost stock" GTS (airbox and flywheel) down to 11.8 at 125mph! Stock pilots! Dave Gordon's best time was only 12.05 on pilots but his speed(on a Belanger/exhaust car) was 125mph also.
Speed is indicative of power. the Macedo car doesn't have much of either.
That ought to shut you up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4