Major difference between 96 /97 viper gts

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive owned a 95 rt/10 yellow and currently have a 97 red/white gts
what is the differences between the 96/97 gts.Also
if the recall work was not done by the owner can I have it done .

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, this is what I remember...

The 96:
1. Had a couple of potential minor engine oil leaks (easily fixed though).
2. The side windows had potentials to leak. Was fixed in 97 by adding a radius to the top the glass.

The 97:
1. Fixed those problems above.
2. Added a heavier duty rear end.

That's all I remember. I'll look up the other differences (if there are any) later and post it if noone else adds anything here.

Not sure about the recall work.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There was a very well detailed thread outlining the differences here about a year ago...try a search... if I can find it, I will put link here.

YES, YOU can go to a QUALIFIED Dodge dealer with an EXPERIENCED Viper Tech who uses the correct welder (to satisfy Dodge in case something comes up later)...be sure that the Tech has done MANY of the 998 Recalls...and, be SURE that the brackets are in correct position BEFORE they are attached (remember that early sets of brackets were MIS-marked as to "right" and "left"...as an error here means that oil filter is no longer removable !!!

Ask VCA members in YOUR area WHERE to go BEFORE you go !!!

Also, be sure to take your own bolts and straps for the U-joints as these are not covered under the 998 Recall.

Search "998 Recall" for more details !!!

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remembered another...steve-indy's post above reminded me.

96: cast wheels. They don't polish as well as the 97's.
97: forged wheels. They polish up real bright.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dash is the same on '96 & '97. Wheels are cast on '96 but are an issue for track use only. Window size / weatherstripping issue affected both 1996 & 97. Some 1997's had a porous oil pan, while some 1996's had rear main seal and timing cover oil leaks. 1997 only had defective intake manifold gaskets. Both 1996 and 1997 GTS's have the same Dana Super 44 differential. Both are subject to the 998 frame recall and yes, any owner would be eligible for the fix no charge as it's a recall not a TSB. 1996 and 1997 had a alarm system upgrade TSB.

The list goes on, however the bottom line is that unless you have to have a 1996 for the novelty (as I did) chose either. Both have many easily solvable issues and you should just find the best example that you can afford.

OP
OP
V

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts and information. I've been reading these forums for years but when it comes down to buying onther viper and trying to decide its nice to have current information that pertains to my life right now.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Viper Fever, the answers posted above should help you sort through the available cars that you discover...as in, areas that COULD be a problem and/or areas that have been repaired.

HOPEFULLY, none of this will deter you in your quest for YOUR 96/97 blue/white Viper...they are stunning lookers and exciting performers...and, while we happen to have a 97, I personally would take either year.

Good hunting !!!