Make it and they will come! Conner avenue gets busy?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
14Firepower300_1_.jpg

Chrysler 'Corvette fighter' concept to debut in Detroit

By Mary Connelly
Automotive News / November 16, 2004

Chrysler Firepower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeep Gladiator

The Chrysler group will bring two new concept vehicles to the auto show circuit in January, including a Chrysler brand two-seater based on the Dodge Viper.

The concept, currently code-named Firepower, is powered by a 6.1-liter V-8 Hemi. The Viper suspension is softened to create a ride akin to that of an Aston Martin, says Trevor Creed, Chrysler group senior vice president of design.

The Firepower is a "Corvette fighter," Creed says. Estimated top speed is185 mph.

The vehicle will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Firepower name is not legally available and the two-seater will be renamed before the show.

Creed describes the Firepower as "purely a concept vehicle."

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is HOTTER than the COUPE they showed in Dallas! Seems like all the Hot stuff is going to Chrysler, but Dodge is supposed to be the performance brand?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve -

I WAY AGREE - that car is freaking GORGEOUS. It's exactly what the Viper coupe SHOULD HAVE looked like. Oh my, oh my, I like that WAY better than the current offering in Viperdom.

Can I have one, please?????

If it were a bit less expensive than the Viper and really is a Corvette fighter - Chevrolet ought to be quaking in their boots.

This does just go to prove - Chrysler has THE HOTTEST designs going - the 300C, new Jeeps, and now maybe this? I am so glad the new cars are contributing well to the bottom line - that's GREAT - Ford and GM are INCREASING rebates, INCREASING days of supply and DECREASING profits - D-C is going the entire opposite direction.

Way to go!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree...put a little more "viper" in the design and you have a great car. I hope Dodge has figured out the "concept street coupe" at VIO8 appeared to be pieced together and was not a true concept vehicle.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One additional note...it looks like a take off of the ME4-12. I hope Dodge has a suprise viper concept coupe at the auto circuit show in January...DC usually has one or two of them(suprise vehicle) at Detroit every year.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-
I agree with your assessment of this car, and I also agree that Dodge should be the performance brand! I would love to see this car square off against the Vette and potentially the GR-1.

Instead of calling it a "Chrysler Firepower", perhaps they could brand it a "Dodge Venom", or something... Making a connection with the Viper would be wise I think, in the same way that the 427 Cobra roadster helped sell Shelby Mustangs, and utimately lots of regular Mustangs, the Viper "halo" could help sell this stylish HEMI coupe to those that either couldn't afford the Viper or just couldn't live with it as a driver.

If they price it like the Vette, this "GR-1 type" 425hp HEMI "Challenger" coupe would be an easy sell!

All the Dodge talk aside, the "Chrysler Firepower" does have some very Chrysler-like ME Four-Twelve styling cues...

BTW, I sketched a front engined ME Four-Twelve coupe a few months back and posted it. Here it is:

30fe4-12-1-med.jpg

Another view, same general idea:

30fe4-12-2-med.jpg

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see connor avenue being able to build these cars in the volumes necessary to keep costs low enough to make it even worthwhile.

Not a bad looking car but get the old man stigma off it and get that chrysler badge outta there. Paint it red, slap a cross haired grill on it, offer a 6 speed, price it at 50K and you've got a winner.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dodgepower?

14dodgepower.jpg

Nah! Keep the Viper the Dodge Icon!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DCX is making the same mistake as VW. VW tried to market the luxury Pheaton (sp?) as a VW, rather than an Audi... big goof.

Chrysler marketing a Viper (not Corvette) competitor is silly:

"The Chrysler group will bring two new concept vehicles to the auto show circuit in January, including a Chrysler brand two-seater based on the Dodge Viper."

185 mph.... 6.1 liter (read SRT V-8) sounds like a Viper competitor/stomper to me.

Even if it is a Corvette competitor, it should be a Dodge! Slot it below the Viper in cost and performance.... but with the price and VOLUME of a Vette or maybe even a Mustang Cobra.

Actually it sounds just like the car Bob Lutz descibed to me in a letter back in 1990: fast, fun, and approachable.

Let Dodge market performance, Chrysler....luxury. They also goofed dropping Plymouth as a value brand.

On the up side, good looking beast. As good if not better than the Shelby GR-1

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The styling of both the "Firepower" and the "GR-1" remind me of a Dodge Concept Car from (way back in) 1968, called the Charger III.

It used a 425hp, 426 Hemi and had "innovative" features such as moveable flaps that acted as "air brakes" under extreme braking... It was aimed as a potential "Corvette Fighter". I will try to post a picture...

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only looks good with those big rims as in the picture... Look like 23"...
Put some 18 inchers under that thing and it'll look like a Crossfire.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with technology advancements, we are seeing huge increases in relilable HP. SRTs 430HP 6.1L hemi is raising the bar dramatically for cars in the affordable range. How many sub $50K cars produced 400HP or more in the last 10 years? I'll be you could count them on 1 hand. How does your SRT-8 300C tromping a new C6 Vette in a boulevard brawl sit with you? I think this summer, we'll hear a bunch of that.

Is there another maunfacturer with more 400+HP models under 50K than DC? Since I missed the first "muscle car era", I'm very excited to watch what's going on now.

I like the "Firepower" but am anxious to see the production Charger!

DN

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Charger III looks pretty close to the Firepower (and since they lost the copyright to Firepower, they might have to use that name). ;)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, I will bet some $$$$ that the Viper Coupe that shows up in Detroit looks DIFFERENT than the one you saw in Dallas. I am under the impression that the "voices" have been heard.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, I will bet some $$$$ that the Viper Coupe that shows up in Detroit looks DIFFERENT than the one you saw in Dallas. I am under the impression that the "voices" have been heard.

You're right - it will look different. I was told at SEMA by someone very high up in the styling dept some of the various changes being made / considered for the coupe. It should look better when it debuts in L.A.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard at one point that there was a V-10 Hemi being tested, but never saw or heard if it ever worked? As for numbers all I can say is that SRT will not allow Viper to be hort in that department, so expect whatever it needs to stay on top!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe they already know that the new coup will blow any vette outta the water so they are making ANOTHER car to be in comp with the new z06?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1968 Dream car, the "Charger III"...

30ChargerIII-med.jpg

I think I had this as a Hot Wheel when I was a kid! It was purple and the windshield was a transparent yellow. It was COOL!

You did indeed. It was the Hot Wheels Torero that first appeared in 1969 and was designed by Ira Gilford:

You must be registered for see images

Throw a couple V-8's on it, and VOILA! You have one of the more famous Hot Wheels of all time - the Twin Mill:

Of course then Boyd Coddington started work on a REAL Twin Mill, which I think was later finished by somebody else...

And now back to your regularly scheduled program. And for the record: I love the SRT-8 and want one in black. The Charger in it's current design leaves me ice cold as it does not echo a single trait from the most popular Chargers ever made (68-70). Perhaps they thought that Dukes of Hazzard, Bullitt, Blade and a slew of other popular shows/movies featured a '66 Charger and that was the look they were going for. Oops.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1968 Dream car, the "Charger III"...

30ChargerIII-med.jpg

I think I had this as a Hot Wheel when I was a kid! It was purple and the windshield was a transparent yellow. It was COOL!

You did indeed. It was the Hot Wheels Torero that first appeared in 1969 and was designed by Ira Gilford:

Throw a couple V-8's on it, and VOILA! You have one of the more famous Hot Wheels of all time - the Twin Mill:

Of course then Boyd Coddington started work on a REAL Twin Mill, which I think was later finished by somebody else...

And now back to your regularly scheduled program. And for the record: I love the SRT-8 and want one in black. The Charger in it's current design leaves me ice cold as it does not echo a single trait from the most popular Chargers ever made (68-70). Perhaps they thought that Dukes of Hazzard, Bullitt, Blade and a slew of other popular shows/movies featured a '66 Charger and that was the look they were going for. Oops.

That car is now on display at the Petersen Museum in LA.

Reaction score
If the Firepower will smoke a Vette I will have one in my stable.

I have a RAM QUAD CAB SRT10, my first truck, and love it. Still getting use to its size 19'+ in length big turning radius required. But is hauls! It gets a thumbs up at traffic lights from the younger drivers. And It provides the driver that normal Viper ear to ear grin.

Build performance vehicles and we will buy them!