Maryland viper owners help needed

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you know, I bought an 04 snake recently from MD

well heres the story

on the test drive, I heard a tapping from then engine, as well as the blower motor did not work, they said "it was just gone over so the issues must me nothing, it will be perfect by the time you pick it up" so about 2 weeks later I drive the 448 miles to MD to pick it up, its having the final touches at a shop (not owned by them) down the street, and they tell me the cost was $1800 (they paid it not me) finally finished, no tap BUT the blower motor only works on high (guessing the resistor) I drive the car about 40 miles around town all of a sudden TAP TAP TAP, comes back, check the dipstick, oils full but VERY thick, I call them, they said they will speak to the shop and to call back in a couple days, meantime it gets flat bedded to Tators, #10 connecting rod, big money fix. they then tell me the "shop" only did an oil change, hmm story changes.

I file a complaint with the atterney generals office, they assign a mediator, they flat out refuse to even give the mediatior the time of day, but they DO agree to send it to arbitratior, anyone delt with this? know what I can expect? any advice at all?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get a lawyer. If the car had any guarantee or if it was "certified" you should prevail, but it may take awhile. I bought a Corvette in PA, had the lawyers from 1800lemonlaw (I think that was their ad) represent me. It took 2 years for GM to pay. In the meantime I paid for all the repairs and enjoyed the car for several years after that.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not too far of a drive, I would probably drive back up there and beat the hell out of someone. It may not get you anywhere, but I am sure you will sleep better at night knowing that they may at least think twice about doing it next time.

-Tim

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me Tim I thought about it, and if this were about 5 years ago, it would have been done already lol.

the car was not certified but this was an existing issue and promised to be corrected by the time of pickup

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no it was from a dealership of high end cars, lambo, F car ect

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May as well let us know who you bought it from.... Heavy oil/ motor honey/ gear lube in the engine is a fast and dirty trick. Fix it, save all documentation and stay with it. I'm sure the dealer hopes you give up and go away but persistance may win the day. Good luck. meanwhile you can let the rest of us know who to stay away from!

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no it was from a dealership of high end cars, lambo, F car ect

Unfortunately in this area there is no known reputable stealership of high end cars.... Please give us the name.... if it is close I wouldn't mind going up there and leaving a nice gift on their door step.... :hitfan:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I wouldn't go into arbitration with the dealership. I think that will be a binding decision, and who knows who the arbitrator is? He may be someone that gets regular "gifts" from that dealership. I think mediation still lets you sue them if you all can't reach an agreement.

The fact they sold you a car with serious problems means (at least to me) is that they have done this before and have been through legal hoops with previous buyers of dubious cars. Which means they are more familiar with the legal process than you are.

Read up and find out some history on these clowns and that may help you with how to proceed.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your sales agreement probably specifies either who the arbitrator is or that the arbitrator comes from a national or state association. Insist you have to agree on who the arbitrator will be and that the arbitrator is certified.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im a little worried about saying the name here, if they look on these fourms is considered slander right?

yes the decision is binding, you guys think its a better decison to just go to court? problem is they never put ANYTHING in writing about "fixing" the car it was all verbal.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im a little worried about saying the name here, if they look on these fourms is considered slander right?

yes the decision is binding, you guys think its a better decison to just go to court? problem is they never put ANYTHING in writing about "fixing" the car it was all verbal.

No, that's not slander. The legal definition of slander is
where someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Verbal agreements don't seem to ever hold. When I bought my car from a dealership in Vallejo California about 8 months ago, my passenger side mirror motor didn't work. I noticed it during the test drive. They told me that they knew about it and that a part was already on order and would be in and ready to be installed free of charge within a week or 2. After having another issue with them never smog testing the car before selling it to me ( even though every one there guaranteed me it was smog tested ) I started to really hit them hard for getting the part installed. This was maybe a month and a half later. They pretty much told me they didn't know what I was talking about, but if I bought the part and paid their mechanic, they'd have no problem installing the part.

A month later my loan company called me concerned because they couldn't title the car since it didn't have a smog on record. Was finally able to get them to smog the car ( I paid for the smog when I bought the car ) but can't get them to budge on the mirror motor. They said it was 'as is' and that the $3,500 insurance policy they sold me didn't cover electronics. Shortly after my driver side window regulator went out. Also not covered.

You need to be careful with dealerships. No matter how much they pretend to be your friend when selling you the car, all they see is a pay check and comission when you roll onto their lot.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the name of the company is Nationwide imports in Rockville Md.

so im pretty much going to be screwed because it was verbal? they DID admit to the mediator, that the did agree to fix the issue and they claim they DID, that less then 500 miles later I got an unrelated tap (that sounded the same)

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the name of the company is Nationwide imports in Rockville Md.

so im pretty much going to be screwed because it was verbal? they DID admit to the mediator, that the did agree to fix the issue and they claim they DID, that less then 500 miles later I got an unrelated tap (that sounded the same)

They probably threw some Marvel Mystery oil in there....

Unfortunately Rockville is not a good place to buy any used car..... wouldn't trust an exotic dealership that also sells this diamond in the rough..... http://www.nationwideimport.com/newandusedcars/3092/966663/d4843139-c467-428d-b367-8dfc62cd83a1/none/1998-GMC-Sierra1500-Rockville-MD-20852.aspx

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be honest im not sure if THEY screwed me, or if the "shop" they used screwed them and their trying to cut their losses

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This pre-owned Vehicle screams classy and makes you feel like royalty on the road! "

I know I'd feel like royalty in that work truck.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
" All of our vehicles feature a rigorous inspection and reconditioning process performed by factory trained technicians! " there is your guarantee in writing.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder how they would respond to people e-mailing them asking them how they deal with problems such as selling a car and having it break down within 500 miles.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a good question, I wonder how they would respond to that question?

Also where did you see the statement about the rigorous inspection? and is since they claim that that does hold them accountable for the vehicles condition right?

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a good question, I wonder how they would respond to that question?

Also where did you see the statement about the rigorous inspection? and is since they claim that that does hold them accountable for the vehicles condition right?

It is at the bottom of each car description on their website inventory.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, each car has it stated below. That should count as a guarantee in writing. Obviously your car somehow missed out on their inspection.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
think im going to try that email idea as well, THIS is the reason i love the VCA

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verbal agreements are useless. Years ago, I turned in a leased car to buy a used 95 Mustang GT vert. My leased car needed brakes and as a condition of buying a car, the salesman and I shook hands on my turn in passing inspection. A month later I get a bill for a $500 brake job. The sales rep actually said he did make the agreement but since we didn't put it in writing, the boss would not waive the $500.

Everything goes in writing from now on for me. Good luck with your Viper. Tator has a great reputation so at least you are going to the right mechanic.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats for sure, its in the best hands in the world, im just hoping ONE of these "consumer protection" places im using finds them on the hook for atleast a part of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi