Mercedes Stole what should be the SRT body

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
September's Motor Trend shows the 2005 Mercedes SLR McLaren on page 40. WOW... it's a knockout. It seems to have a lot of SRT-10 styling cues and it is exactly what the SRT SHOULD have looked like, side exhaust and all. While the SRT has grown on me, this SLR is a total knockout.

I still maintain that the Competition Coupe is one of the prettiest shapes ever designed though. If DC can keep the same proportions as the CC has when they finally make the SRT coupe, that will make it all OK. :usa:

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge keeps the CC dimensions for the street coupe, all cars on the road
will bow as they drive by...

I can see it now... we're not worthy, we're ot worthy... :shocked:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Don't like it. Too many competing design themes/lines. Looks like they couldn't decide on what it should look like. Reminds me of a Chrysler Crossfire. Cockpit too far back...from profile reminds me of a front engine dragster. I think it looks stupid. Doesn't look exotic or mean to me. Just my opinion...NO FLAME INTENDED.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa... :eek: ...I like it!!!

You must be registered for see images

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, way too close to pay 100's of thousands of dollars more than an SL55.

Reminds me of the Maybach which is very close to an S-class, albeit a little fancier but what do you expect for 250 grand more.

OVERPRICED!

Chad

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like certain angles, but just plain don't like it in profile.

The wheelbase looks odd to me.

Cool car though.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Poor integration of several design elements. Front end profile is just plain ugly! Looks like the SRT's has a pretty ugly step-sister. IMO, MB hasn't made an attractive car since the 280SL.

OP
OP
Russ Oasis

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I'm glad to hear some guys disagree with me. There was something about the side view that really struck me when I saw it in the magazine. I hear what you guys are saying and can even agree with some points, however, I do think that it is an aggressive looking car that irons out some of the things that bother me about the SRT. The rear of the car is flowing and blends in. The exhaust treatment is unusual and nice. Looking dead on the front, the front isn't as nice as the SRT. Yea...it may be a lot more money, but when did we, as Viper owners, ever consider the money issue? We don't let Corvette guys pull that on us and we don't use money as a reason that the Viper may occasionally get beat by a Ferrari in a particular category. Also, in comparing it to the SL-55, who among us doesn't think that the 55 is an awesome looking car? (And I'm not even a MB guy...never owned one) I dunno...I just thought that the SLR was a great step in the right direction and wish that the SRT had some of the styling cues.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the japanese guy that styled the SRT did this one too....Too many conflicting lines that rob the overall clean flow of the body.....Imho the current SL shape looks better than that....They are wide and low..proper supercar proportions..They could probably spruce it up witha a Lorinser kit to diffrentiate it from the regular SL...

The side gills kill the profile for me....overdone...I know they are trying to evoke the old classic but it looks better on the classic than this one...Whats going on with German styling now a days...BMW needs to fire the guy that responsible for the hideous new styling....Have you seen what they are doing to the M5?..Looks more Japanese than teutonic..

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What everybody else said...... the shell is WAY too complicated and far too many seams. And, nobody has even mentioned the 1972 Corvette side gills yet! :smirk:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte