Met Father Viper, Roy H. Sjoberg

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving arould town and saw a Gen I with a trailer. Looked cool! Later I saw it parked around the corner from my house, so I went to the door of the house and knocked. The guy came out and said Hi I'm Roy Sjoberg. I knew I heard that name before. He was the Executive Engineer that led Team Viper in 1989. Great guy. We talked for a while and because it was getting dark I asked if he was going to be around Monday. He said yes. I plan to get as many Vipers around town as I can and go see him Monday afternoon. He gave me a autograph picture of a viper I have never seen before. Anybody around Austin that wants to come, let me know.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving arould town and saw a Gen I with a trailer. Looked cool! Later I saw it parked around the corner from my house, so I went to the door of the house and knocked. The guy came out and said Hi I'm Roy Sjoberg. I knew I heard that name before. He was the Executive Engineer that led Team Viper in 1989. Great guy. We talked for a while and because it was getting dark I asked if he was going to be around Monday. He said yes. I plan to get as many Vipers around town as I can and go see him Monday afternoon. He gave me a autograph picture of a viper I have never seen before. Anybody around Austin that wants to come, let me know.

Would this be the trailer and the car that was pulling it?

813IMG_0612.JPG

813IMG_0611.JPG

Taken at his 'Toy Barn' ...deep in the Northwoods of Michigan. The picture may have been of the car he sold at Pebble Beach. I think there only 2 trailers made like this one.

Steve

D

DAMN YANKEE

Phil,

If he is willing to pass along a few more autographs I would greatly appreciate one as well. Let me know and Ill send along address and postage.

Many thanks, DY

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think of it, tell him we're looking forward to seeing him in Escanaba again this June. The water bottle on our car sports his name. Check out the console of his car. It's been signed by some notables.

Steve

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Met him last year in Colorado for the second time after 2002 in Nashville.
This is a SMALL world for sure.

You must be registered for see images

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy & his wife were @ VOI 9, always a pleasure to talk too!!!

Sam, you need to run that yaller '95 up here for the Fun Run in June as well. ....Bout time you saw the other side of the bridge.

Steve

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil,

If he is willing to pass along a few more autographs I would greatly appreciate one as well. Let me know and Ill send along address and postage.

Many thanks, DY

Ditto on the above.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Roy is my hero.

If it weren't for that pesky restraining order,I'd have his autograph!

(wink!)

OP
OP
P

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The meeting was great. About ten Vipers showed up so we all went to a park and Roy was nice enough to drive over and meet with all of us. He has some wonderful stories of the Team Viper early days. He talked to us for two hours. He signed autographs until he ran out of posters. Some guys had him sign there owners manual or a part of there car. Roy told me to get the names and addresses of you guys that wanted a autogragh and he would send you one. Some of you have given me that info and you are on the list, but I still need some to send it to me.Roy said they would be headed for Fla. so ya be watching for a red 94 with a viper trailer.

Steve, Roy said he was doing Escanaba again.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great experience for a Viper owner. I bet it was a blast for him too... it's not everyday that your 9-5 job turns you into an instant rock star. :2tu:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a blast , some of his stories were just plain awesome. Phil , I need his address , I have that window part that he needs and I want to give it to him.
Mike

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty neat story. Roy is fantastic....

He toured me through the Snakepit in the back or the Jeep Technical Center just after the Viper paced Indy. Gave me a prototype hood emblem during the visit which sits front and center in my display case :)

He is always fun to talk with, chatted with him at dinner during VOI.9. Him and my dad used to talk quite a bit at VOI's. Autoform made the trailers. I'm pretty sure the mold has been destroyed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960