Metal PS pulley?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep breaking the OE 'plastic' PS pulley.

Does anyone know for any stronger metal PS pulleys available? If not I will look into getting one made / machined. Would steel be the choice over aluminum? Aluminum may spin on the shaft it's pressed onto? (I think aluminum absorbs heat faster, and as it becomes hot could it perhaps expand at a faster rate than the steel shaft?) Or would the extra weight of a steel pulley affect how it spins up / more load? Any engineers out there able to comment? Thanks.

This is not just a SC issue, 3 other members in the UK (NA) have had the OE pulley bust now. :(

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby Archer Motorsports has both a machined pulley AND an upgraded power steering reservoir / pump / pulley combo that is cheaper than OEM!

Good mod!

Cheers, Nadine! Kiss the beloved for me.

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops! Here's one of 2 I broke last weekend, wish me luck this weekend, got many fast miles planned!

352brokepulley.jpg

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby Archer Motorsports has both a machined pulley AND an upgraded power steering reservoir / pump / pulley combo that is cheaper than OEM!

Good mod!

I'm going to Bobby's open house tomorrow and am gonna pick one of those suckers up. :2tu: :usa:

MelloYellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had ASP make a custom steel pulley for my Vortech setup to replace a composite Corvette PS pulley this week. They'll make any custom size.

Lee @ ASP didn't seem too worried about power loss. For the C5 our pulleys are press on and he felt the Aluminum press-on would wear out a little faster than the steel.

http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm