MGW Shift Knob Install - Quick Question

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to ask such an old and silly question, but I could not find it under the search function. When installing the knob on an 01 GTS you hold the old knob with a wrench and then turn the nut which direction? I feel like I am going to break something... just wanted to be certain. Don't want to damage my dream! Thanks in advance.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old knob unscrews counter clockwise. To unlock the two you may want to turn the locking nut clockwise so it screws down a little while holding a wrench on the old knob. Then the old knob should simply turn up the threads counter clockwise.

OP
OP
V

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much. That is the tidbit of information that I needed to make this small thing simple. Have a great day!

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put mine on the other day. I was surprised how tight that locknut was. Haven't driven the car since putting it on, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Mike M

OP
OP
V

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put mine on the other day. I was surprised how tight that locknut was. Haven't driven the car since putting it on, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Mike M

That is how I felt. I was afraid of breaking something. There is just nothing right about having to use that much force on my dream car. HaHa!!

Thanks everyone!

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock shift knob was on extremely tight and when it loosened, it did so suddenly. I think there may have possibly been a little loctite on the threads.

DrDJ

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, so I wasn't the only one that momentarily panicked when it broke loose, thinking that I had twisted the entire assembly off the linkage below :)

That's good to know!

Mike M

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am having troubles finding the hex nut. I pushed the leather boot a good 6 inches down and I am not sure it will go much farther without damage to the leather. I can't even feel the nut through the leather.

How far down is it?

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was down about 3-4 inches. If you can't see or feel yours I would say you don't have one for some reason. :(

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I am stopping around 3-4 inches from the bottom part of the knob, so I must not be going low enough. Do you recall what side of the shaft the nut is on? (if looking at it from a top view from the driver's seat) I was assuming 12 o'clock, but I can;t feel it.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I am stopping around 3-4 inches from the bottom part of the knob, so I must not be going low enough. Do you recall what side of the shaft the nut is on? (if looking at it from a top view from the driver's seat) I was assuming 12 o'clock, but I can;t feel it.

Pull the e-brake up as far as it will go. Lift out ash tray. undo the four phillips screws at the corners of the console. Slowly lift up the console until you can see underneath the shift boot, you should then see the nut, if there is still no nut on the bottom of the shifter shaft, then its missing from yours, if this is the case just unscrew your shifter knob counter clockwise.

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally have the time to play with Pete again tomorrow (I was on vacation, I know life is rough!).

I wanted to confirm what to do before I break anything. It appears that my GTS is missing the hex nut in the pic shown in the "how to" at: http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_how_illup.htm I attached a pic of mine to show there is a silver metal ring under the shifter, but no nut.

I already tried putting a wrench on the shift knob and turning it counter-clockwise, but was afraid to use too much force. Should I just put more muscle into it to crack it loose or will I damage it?

Attachments

• DSC00709.JPG
    DSC00709.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 79

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if anyone has ever wondered what the inside of a factory shifter looks like, well then, here ya go.

SHIFTER.jpg

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally have the time to play with Pete again tomorrow (I was on vacation, I know life is rough!).

I wanted to confirm what to do before I break anything. It appears that my GTS is missing the hex nut in the pic shown in the "how to" at: http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_how_illup.htm I attached a pic of mine to show there is a silver metal ring under the shifter, but no nut.

I already tried putting a wrench on the shift knob and turning it counter-clockwise, but was afraid to use too much force. Should I just put more muscle into it to crack it loose or will I damage it?

Put some torque on it, it'll come loose.

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put some torque on it, it'll come loose.

Whoa! I put on as much torque as I could, but still no luck (I would feel like a real girl if I didn't bench over 300lbs earlier in the day :headbang:). As you can see from the pic, it is rather rusted. How much force can I put on this w/o damaging something? Should I get an additional guy in the passenger seat to get some additional muscle on it?

Starting to get discouraged with what should be a 5 min install :mad:

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you guys take a look at your shifter now that it is off? Does it have the metal ring I have on mine?

attachment.php

I went at it again this morning with two hangs on the wrench. Either something else needs to be done on mine to unlock it, or it is rusted stuck!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know for a fact that my 97 does not have that ring. just like in this pic, i have a lock nut (B) where your ring is at. put a wrench on (A), a wrench on (B), twist in opposite directions, break the locknut loose, twist off shifter, and you are done.

shift-start.jpg

what year is your car? did you say?

Last edited:

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
96 gts. Like I said, I gave it a lot of force and am questioning whether there is a lock nut lower down or something.

GR8SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lock nut should be right under the shifter. From your picture it looks like someone put a lock washer were the lock nut goes.