Mid South Club Viper/Vette Shootout!

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
(Let the good times roll)

The Mid-South Region Bayou Chapter is working with the 5 Louisiana Corvette Clubs to extend a challenge to all Viper and Vette owners to come down to the bayou and settle the big dispute... who's the Baddest on the Bayou!?!

So far, 50 New Orleans Vette Owners (and counting) say there is NO CONTEST! Vipers are all show and no go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Viper / Vette Shootout
'Baddest on the Bayou'
Saturday, October 19, 2002
Gates open at 5 PM
Racing 6-10 PM

No Problem Raceway (NPR)
Belle Rose, LA
http://www.noproblemraceway.com/

> Tech Inspections - 5:00 to 6:00

> Time Trials begin at 6:00 PM

> Elimination begin at 8:30

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS
(approx. 22 miles from track)

30 Rooms blocked until October 15st

Holiday Inn - Gonzales
1500 Highway 30
Gonzales, LA
(225) 647-8000
(800) 465-4329

Group Rate: $59/night + tax
Ask for: Viper / Corvette Challenge

Directions to Hotel:
> Take I-10 East thru Baton Rouge toward New Orleans;
> Approx. 20-miles South of Baton Rouge, take Exit 177 (LA Hwy 30);
> At bottom of ramp, go LEFT crossing back under I-10;
> Holiday Inn 1/2-mile down on RIGHT.

Lots of parking with security at night

Excellent Cajun Seafood Restaurant on property (Capt. Andersen's)

Also at Exit 177:
> Outlet Mall (Tangier - like the one at Terrell)
> ******* Barrel Restaurant
> Other Fast Foods

On the NPR website under 'Calendar of Events', there are 2 road course events scheduled for the same weekend as our Shootout. There is a Ferrari Cup Challenge slated for Friday, October 18th and the Crescent City Porsche Customers will be holding an 'Arrive & Drive' on Saturday, October 19th. This will be an opportunity to check out the new 1.8-mile course in the event there is future interest in such an event at this track! I will follow up with the 2 clubs to see if there would be an issue with our group arriving early to spectate. The Porsche group may possibly allow us a few laps on the track depending on their group's participation!

FOR MORE INFO, PLEASE RESPOND TO:

Michael Martin (Viper)
Pineville, LA
Hm: (318) 641-0251
Wk: (318) 484-7641
Cel: (318) 308-1201
[email protected]

Laddie Roussel (Vette)
Mandeville, LA
(985) 945-2790
[email protected]

OP
OP
G

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get signed up now! We need a headcount ASAP!
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap! I'm in Oregon. I would have enjoyed the event. Hope all goes well.

OP
OP
G

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to those who came out and supported this event. We met lots of great Viper and Corvette people and had some fun.
Hopefully, everyone can make it out again next time.

Laddie Roussel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to Thank al who came out for the Inaugural Bayou Vette vs Viper/Prowler Drag Challenge...

We had one incident at the track. One of our friends in a SCCA Road Race prepared Vette (complete roll cage) was making a Bye run and spun and ran into the wall. That kinda put a damper on our night. I visited Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge this afternoon and saw Gail (Sid's wife) and one of his sons Scott. Sid is still in the CCU and according to Gail he was doing much better today breathing on his on... He has a broken arm (now has pin in it), broken rib and bruised lung. Gail said he was cracking jokes today and had his first hospital food at lunch. Hopefully, he is on his way to recovery... Gail also wanted to say Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers...

We had quite a turnout for the Inaugural Vette vs Viper Drag Challenge at No Problem Raceway. 65 cars teched and racing. Here's the breakdown...
52 Vettes
8 Vipers
1 Prowler
4 Other Cars
65 Total

The fastest time was by a Vette with a 9.986 ET and on his 2nd run 140 mph. The fastest Viper had 11.226 ET & 125 mph... There were two Vipers in the 11 second category (11.226 & 11.613) and the others were in the mid 12s to lo 13s. We had two other Vettes in the 11 seconds (one 11.257 and the other had 11.962). We had a few in the 12s including four or so Z06s (which best times were in hi 12s). Most cars were in the 13s & 14s. The weather was good but, temps & humidity hurt our times by .3 to .4 seconds (compared to last Feb.). After the incident I decided to just continue with time trials (which were head-ups and we mostly ran Viper or Prowler vs Vettes). I have a printout of all times and the tech cards.

We had collected $280 Cash Pool for the racing before the incident. After the accident, many folks pulled back or left not knowing when the racing would continue... So, some number of the people who had paid were no longer there (we had put a $ sign on the rear windows of the cars that had paid). I had no way of knowing the names of these folks. So, I discussed the money with many of the drivers around the staging lane. It was suggested that we should donate the money to a charity. I agreed and have decided to give the money to St. Judes Children Hospital. I will present the $280 to the Baton Rouge Corvette Club at there next meeting to be donated along with the other moneys from there most recent car show for St. Jude. The money will help some children and we can be thankful for our blessings.

We had a very good spectator turnout. Don't have the official count but, must have been somewhere around 400 to 500 people. The stands had quite a crowd and I was surprised by all the spectators along the fence line... Hope everyone enjoyed themselves and just sorry we had the one accident and hope for a speedy recovery by Sid.

Laddie Roussel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While in Thibodeaux, I took the opportunity to present the $280 (Cash collected from the Vette, Viper & Prowler racers at NPR on Sat. Oct. 19th - this was to be in place of Trophies) to Maria Mclin (Pres. BRCC) to be donated to St. Jude Children's Hospital along with the other proceeds from the BRCC recent benefit car show in Plaquemine. Thanks to all the race drivers who had contributed toward the cash pool. This donation to St. Jude Children's Hospital is on behalf of them ... The money will help some children and we can be thankful for our blessings.

We had collected $280 Cash Pool for the racing before the Sid's accident. After the accident, many folks pulled back or left not knowing when the racing would continue... So, some number of the people who had paid were no longer there (we had put a $ sign on the rear windows of the cars that had paid). I had no way of knowing the names of these folks. So, I discussed the money with many of the drivers around the staging lane. It was suggested that we should donate the money to a charity. I agreed and decided that night to give the money to St. Judes Children Hospital. I had planned to present the $280 to the Baton Rouge Corvette Club at there next meeting. Since I'll be unable to make the BRCC meeting on Thursday night, I presented it at the Plaques and Plates Corvette show in Thibodeaux hosted by the CCC on Sunday, Nov. 10th.

Have a pic of me presenting the $280 to Maria along with the other Pres' & VP from our five South LA Corvette Clubs... However, don't know how to post pic... Laddie...