MILEAGE IMPACT ON VALUE

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are so many SRT's with very low mileage and I tend to drive mine at least 4 and sometimes 5 days each week. I wonder if my car has about 35K to 40K miles when it's time for a new Viper would this higher mileage have a greater impact on the value BECAUSE it's a Viper than for example a Corvette? By the way I'm still going to drive it often as each drive is an event!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the resale...enjoy the car. I personally don't drive it on crappy days. Only on nice sunny days and have put on 1450 kms in about a month and a half thats about 901 miles. About as much as some 03's have. I don't think I drive it enough!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On a Sunday morning, after picking a destination, I go for a nice long cruise. Once there I drive in reverse the same route home. I still have 11 delivery miles on the car.
P.S. I never registred the car either. Every month I take a trip to the DMV and get temp tags....

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"On a Sunday morning, after picking a destination, I go for a nice long cruise. Once there I drive in reverse the same route home. I still have 11 delivery miles on the car.
P.S. I never registred the car either. Every month I take a trip to the DMV and get temp tags...."

You too ?? :laugh:

Mileage impact value on all cars, more so on sport cars. I bought my car for fun and not as an investment, so I drive it a lot.....Don't worry about the resale...enjoy the car (RICKY). :2tu:

Reaction score
I've owned my car for almost a month now and still have the same original 3-miles on it. I'm still waiting to drive it for the first time.

Its real easy to do, just call UNReliable Carriers to pick up your new car from the dealership and deliver it to you.
And it stays clean sitting in the dealership showroom.

By the time they deliver it to you, it will be an antique and much more valuable.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a nice trailer to match the Viper. I have the wife tow me around town. I can wave to eveyone and not worry about hitting the car in front of me. I get great gas mileage and only have 100 miles on the car. Just enjoy it, you only live once!

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK OK I get it as I said I plan on driving the wheels off it anyway and even in jest your points are well taken. Thanks I think?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last Vipers sat around a lot more than they should have, because I was always worried about racking up miles. I made a concious decision to drive the hell out of this one. I've had my car for four or five months, and I've already put almost 3k on it. Oh, and it was in the shop for a couple of those months!

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
On a Sunday morning, after picking a destination, I go for a nice long cruise. Once there I drive in reverse the same route home. I still have 11 delivery miles on the car.
P.S. I never registred the car either. Every month I take a trip to the DMV and get temp tags....

LOL , that is the best :2tu:

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
I've owned my car for almost a month now and still have the same original 3-miles on it. I'm still waiting to drive it for the first time.

Its real easy to do, just call UNReliable Carriers to pick up your new car from the dealership and deliver it to you.
And it stays clean sitting in the dealership showroom.

By the time they deliver it to you, it will be an antique and much more valuable.

where is this car comming from? I just got my yellow 05 here in South Florida and drove it home the same day (i guess the same time you brought yours last month)

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went out to KBB and plugged in two identical 2002 GTS - one with 3,000 miles and one with 36,000 miles.

The one with 3,000 miles came back at about $53,000
The one with 36,000 miles came back at about $50,800

Not much difference in my opinion.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KBB doesn't matter...Would you have a hard time deciding between a 3000 mile gts at 53k and a 36,000 mile gts at 50.8k

On the other hand you already know your taking a big hit when your selling it so why would you preserve the car for someone else?

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is 2006. You are looking for an 2003 SRT-10. You come across two red ones, both bone stock and in great condition.

One has 3k miles and is $49k
The other has 36k miles and is $45k

Which would you buy? That is the more reality-based question.

Ricky is correct...except....when you preserve something, you are not preserving it for the next owner; you are preserving your investment. If the money means very little to you, then whatever you buy...use it up.

Alice & The Viper Blog

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, hanging on to a car for 3 or 4 years and always worrying about the miles is a beating. Hell, I piss away four grand in a weekend sometimes! Why not enjoy the car, and not worry about the value dropping a little bit? It's not that big of a deal if you look at the big picture.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think a lot depends on whether you plan on selling your car in the open market or trading it in at the dealer. Dealers care a lot less than private individuals. I traded a Ram truck a while back. The dealer didn't even open the hood.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is 2006. You are looking for an 2003 SRT-10. You come across two red ones, both bone stock and in great condition.

One has 3k miles and is $49k
The other has 36k miles and is $45k

Yikes! We better all hope that such prices aren't even close in eight months. Add $10K to each and we will all feel better. :2tu:

It is important to realize that you WILL "lose" money on just about any Viper you buy - you just have to decide how much. So if you are going to "lose" $10K the second you drive it out of the showroom, is it worth it to leave it in the garage and make an extra $5K four years later? Or is it more fun to actually go out and DRIVE the car and risk that slight decrease in funds? You are losing money regardless, so decide why you wanted the car to begin with.

If you want to invest in cars, go buy late 60's / early 70's American muscle cars. Modern investments might include a car or two from Italy, but don't expect a return for several years. "Investing" in a new Dodge, Chevy, or even a Ford (GT)? Not necessarily a wise one. Remember, "Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs painting." My advice is to drive 'em and enjoy them for what they were built. Otherwise go invest in some nice artwork - they take up considerably less room and never drip anything in your home. ;)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my ACR, kept it for two years, doubled the miles, and sold it for two grand more than I paid. I have a reeeeeal bad feeling that I won't have the same luck with my SRT. ;)

Reaction score
Viper Rich, nice car, great color, fastastic buy.
Though dealer had it at $89,000.00 ???
If I recall correctly, the highest 05 Viper MSRP was for the mamba edition @ $87,795.00. Which was $2,500.00 more than the regular SRT @ $85,295.00.
Dealer invoice was @ $78,380.00. You bought below invoice, can't beat that, great buy.
My number was @ $3,200 less + $918.00 delivery, again great buy, slow delivery.

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
saw a yellow one at Accardi in pompano beach - didnt like them much, then went over to King Dodge on sunset in fort lauderdale and got that one - close to the house. are you a realtor or Mtg broker? just wondering cuz i own a credit reporting comp and we do credit reports for mtg brokers. take you for a ride untill your comes!

Reaction score
Vipper Rich,
Yes, the destination charge went up $50.00.
$85,295 + $50.00 increase in the destination charge = your $85,345.00
What a joke, MVP of $3995.00. I could have bought several down here at or below invoice. They are still sitting.

I am a real estate broker/owner (Realtor) since the early 80's.I specialize in mostly corporate relocation with most of my business with JMFE/SET in Deerfield.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the highest 05 Viper MSRP was for the mamba edition @ $87,795.00. Which was $2,500.00 more than the regular SRT @ $85,295.00.

2005 VCA Edition SRT-10 listed at $89,995.00. Including standard floor mats. :2tu:

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, now back to the topic, Miles depreceate the value a good bit, so save those miles for fun cruising.

I used to run the wheels off my Viper's, and this really hurts the value, and the car became somewhat of a bore to drive, not to mention downright uncomfratable. I'm talking putting 2500 miles a month on the car. After the first two Vipers, I got it out of my system, and I'm not to indulgent anymore. I get fatter, stiffer,uglier, and a bit smarter as I age, 500 or so miles a month now.

Racking up a bunch of miles on these cars also lossens them up before there time. Be a little stingy with your miles. Pretend you have a cab meter in the car, clicking away.

Skip White

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll say this about my viper, I have 39,000 miles on my snake over a 7 year period. That's about an average of 5100 miles per year. I bought this car to drive, not to worry about mileage. I made a big mistake with my first viper,94 RT/10, which I had for 2.5 years and only accumulated 3100 miles when I sold it. I never really enjoyed my RT/10 because I was to worried about high mileage. I've never had a problem selling any of my vehicles because those of you that know me, know how "anal" I am about the cleanliness of my vehicles. I'm only trying to say, just drive your snakes and enjoy them, don't cheat yourself out of enjoyment for the car because you are worried about mileage.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5100 miles per year is low mileage. It's that 2500 per month that will kill your cars value in a year or two.

Skip

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zerro effect if everything is kept pristine and rebuilt when needed.Who here would turn down a 1927 Bugatti because although pristine it had mileage on it?Do you think anyone with an original 427 shelby cobra is worried about the mileage on it and resale value?What about a corvette stingray split window or a hemi cuda? GTS Bruce

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had to make the choice about driving the Viper regularly or not, but ultimately that's one of the reasons why I didn't buy a car like a Ferrari.
I always wanted a stylish, fast, performance car that I can actually drive, rather than owning a garage queen or "investment" that I only enjoy on rare occasions.

So if it's sunny out, I'm usually driving the Viper, and loving every minute of it. :laugh: That's why I bought the car after all. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96