MIrko Kerschbaum just doesn't get it! Viper quarterly throw out page 36.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MIrko Kerschbaum just doesn\'t get it! Viper quarterly throw out page 36.

The 300c is a great car.I just got a loaded awd version for my wife.Its really a nice drive.Good power and handling.The AWD works better than I expected on snow.BUT.ITS NOT A VIPER.It has no relationship to a Viper and it does not and I repeat, IT DOES NOT BELONG IN A VIPER MAGAZINE!Stick non Viper articles somewhere else please. GTS Bruce

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: MIrko Kerschbaum just doesn\'t get it! Viper quarterly throw out page 36.

Even though I enjoyed reading the article, and also enjoyed viewing the new model lines at the Cleveland Auto Show, I think I agree with Bruce.

It's funny but if the same material was sent to me in a different non-viper package, I would have been thrilled to get it. I also understand DC's marketing ploy. It's competitive, and they want to move cars, and the new 6.1L is very cool.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I don't agree. I have an SRT8 on order and I enjoyed the read. Maybe the difference is....I ordered this car for me! This article was not about a standard 300C, awd or not, ordered for the wife, it was about an SRT vehicle that is arguably the most significant high performance sedan to be built by an American manufacturer since..........Yeah, other than the CTSV, name one.

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee.No offense intended.I enjoyed the article too.But a 300 c is not a Viper.It does not belong in a "Viper" magazine.We love the 300c.Its a great car.Let DC sponsor or start up a 300 magazine,club etc.What we want in VIPER is Viper and Viper only.If someone wants info on sedans,nascar,neons,pacificas,rams... there are other venues.I hope you get it now.Keep Viper,Viper only and place the other car news someplace else.Not in OUR Viper magazine which only comes out 4 times a year.We wait for it at the post box.Complain when its late.Drool over it.Love it.Live with other members through it.Comit the tuner ads and articles to memory , long for the next edition,and pray that there are more pages to scrutinize.Personaly I feel cheated when space is wasted on non-viper material.In the name of the GEN 1,Gen 2 and Gen 3.Let us pronounce in the name of Viper that the magazine be Viper only now and for ever.Amen. GTS Bruce

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: MIrko Kerschbaum just doesn\'t get it! Viper quarterly throw out page 36

It should be named Viper SRT/10 since thats all they show in it.

vipermag

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Although I can't say I totally agree with you, GTS Bruce, it's that kind of passion for the Viper that gets the attention of the brass at DCX. I mean, you guys are tough--one page in a 68-page book that's not about the Viper and we hear about it.

Seriously though, if I may explain, there is some method to that madness. First and foremost, the magazine is not only popular with the Viper owners, but it also has some good visibility over at DCX headquarters. One of the points we've been trying to drive home over the years is that the sales halo effect from Viper extends throughout every line of the Chrysler Group. Viper owners, on average, own far more other Chrysler Group vehicles than owners of Dakotas, Sebrings, Neons, etc. At VOI last September, we rolled out the Amabssador program where Viper owners got coupons to give out to friends and family to encourage sales of other Chrysler Group vehicles. The results from that program, after only a couple of months, far exceeded corporate expectations.

The bottom line here is that the more DCX sees how Viper sales can have a positive effect throughout the corporation, the more likely they will be to keep supporting the Viper program and giving SRT the resources to keep the Viper at the head of the performance class.

A second reason, and just as important for me, is that the guys at SRT like Dan Knott, Herb Helbig, etc., have been great in helping the magazine get the information we need. If we can help give a little plug to their other products, I think it's something we should all get behind. SRT does an awful lot for the VCA in general and Viper owners in particular. And, at least we only cover performance vehicles.

So I hope this gives you a little insight as to why we include some info once in a while on other products. And I hope you understand our coverage of SRT. Be assured, though, I promise to keep the magazine as Viper-pure as possible.

Mark Giannotta
Editor
VIPER Magazine

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know I probably shouldn't say this, but I have to comment on the following quote ->

"The bottom line here is that the more DCX sees how Viper sales can have a positive effect throughout the corporation, the more likely they will be to keep supporting the Viper program..."

If DCX doesn't want to "continue to supprt the Viper program", there are a lot of other manufacturers building cool cars these days, and I would think they are willing to support their own programs and would welcome "us" with open arms.

Now having said that I will say this. I wish I had a new 300 w/ the 6.1L, and I have received no Ambassador coupons. Mark, I think if you are going to publish a modern Dodge/Chrysler performance magazine, that's what you should call it. On the same hand print space is like gold these days, and you are trying to advertise anything you think you "can sell". I guess that's big business.

PS. The quality of the magazine, in print / layout / paper / is FIRST CLASS. GREAT JOB an a very top shelf, professional publication. It drips with a Rolls Royce - Aston Martin - Bentley "feel". I'm still glad I have my car, and I'm still glad I get the magazine, (if that makes any sense).

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's just advertising. It's everywhere, all the time. The 300c article will be an interesting read to some, and just a DCX add to others. So be it. If the spring issue had been 66 pages instead of 68 and NOT contained that article, would everyone be happy then? Of course not, because "everyone" is never happy in unison. Every time I plunk down $8.00 to go see a movie, I sit through 20 minutes of adds for movies that I didn't pay to watch. Not to mention adds for the local tanning salon, etc. That's just America today. In fact, I for one wish they would sell the naming rights to our local grade schools and lower my freakin property taxes. Come on Coca Cola High School!

DCX is a monster size corporation and I would be absolutely amazed if they didn't, from time to time, promote some of their other products in the Viper publication. My guess is that at $100 per year for a VCA membership, including the magazine, no ones getting rich. If DCX wants to do some self promotion to justify keeping things going, great, do it.

However, I would agree with ViperJon that this issue was HEAVILY slanted towards the SRT/10/Coupe. Please don't forget us relics out here in Gen I & II land.

Lastly, from ViperMag Editor "The bottom line here is that the more DCX sees how Viper sales can have a positive effect throughout the corporation, the more likely they will be to keep supporting the Viper program and giving SRT the resources to keep the Viper at the head of the performance class."
Bring the Coupe out with 600 hp and it WILL be at the head of the performance class AND you will sell a boat load day one.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Ambassador offer was nice, but too short. Had it lasted more than the 4 months, I likely would have used it.

vipermag

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,

All good stuff. I try to get to as many Viper events as possible and talk to the folks there, but I still welcome all the comments that are posted here, whether positive or negative (hear that, plumcrazy?). Certainly DCX and Dodge have an interest in the magazine but ultimately it's the owners and enthusiasts who determine its success or failure and that means your opinions are important. For example, we know the Ambassador program was popular and, although we can't make any promises, Viper Headquarters is working to bring it back. And, like Bob said, we'll never make everyone happy, but that doesn't mean we won't try.

I'd like to make one final observation: The title of this thread is "Mirko Kerschbaum just doesn't get it!" Let me assure you--he does. I think you're going to find over time, he's going to be a good friend to the VCA and Viper owners.

And guys, if there's any issue you want to go into more depth on, you can always e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks again for all your comments.

Mark

vipermag

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,

All good stuff. I try to get to as many Viper events as possible and talk to the folks there, but I still welcome all the comments that are posted here, whether positive or negative (hear that, plumcrazy?). Certainly DCX and Dodge have an interest in the magazine but ultimately it's the owners and enthusiasts who determine its success or failure and that means your opinions are important. For example, we know the Ambassador program was popular and, although we can't make any promises, Viper Headquarters is working to bring it back. And, like Bob said, we'll never make everyone happy, but that doesn't mean we won't try.

I'd like to make one final observation: The title of this thread is "Mirko Kerschbaum just doesn't get it!" Let me assure you--he does. I think you're going to find over time, he's going to be a good friend to the VCA and Viper owners.

And guys, if there's any issue you want to go into more depth on, you can always e-mail me at [email protected].

Mark

vipermag

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,

Mark