MOBILE 1 10W-30 "Extended service" -Snake oil or fluff??

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOBILE 1 10W-30 \"Extended service\" -Snake oil or fluff??

I was at the local Walmart store looking for Mobile 1 10W-30 synthetic when I ran across a box containing 4 containers of 5 quart "extented Service" Mobile 1 10W-30 Synthetic oil. The box was marked 20% off 95.00 dollars. I bought it for 75.00 dollars because of the reduction listed below the normal Mobile 1. Question does anyone know if there is any advantage to using this so called higher end oil made by mobile? The only difference between the conventional oil we use is the "New" marking and "protection for 15,000 miles". There is no futher information on the packaging to differentiate it from the previous.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: MOBILE 1 10W-30 \"Extended service\" -Snake oil or fluff??

Give me three months. It just went into my daily driver which I use for work. 1200 miles a week. After that I am going to have the oil analyzed. Engine has 180,000 miles on it. I am ******* this car. So it will be interesting to see what is left after 15k.....

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: MOBILE 1 10W-30

You're not going to wait till 15,000 before you change the oil in the viper{I hope}, Which makes the "extended Service" Claim pointless anyway :headbang:

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Amsoil Ser. 2000 is rated at 35,000 miles. Mobil has increased it's additive package no doubt, but know where near that. I run Amsoil, and change it at about 3000 miles. The nice thing about it is I know my additive package is still at it's best. When I run it in my pickup, I change it at about 12,500 miles. I will run it much longer if I'm using an oil bypass filtration system, as this keeps the oil very clean, but I seldom keep the truck long enough to go justify the expence. I can't believe how few Viper owners, don't use Amsoil. It has to be the best synthetic oil in the world. They try to get people to run their product for very extended use, unlike Mobil 1 saying to say change at factory intervals. How can that be a good product. I'm sure the only reason they have upped their additive package, is so many people are using Amsoil. Why else would they give you anything more. If you seen the spec. comparisions for Mobil 1 and Amsoil, you would wonder how Mobil even stays on the market, but they do spend a fortune telling you how good their product is. Compared to petro it is, but no comparision to Amsoil.

I may get beat up for this, so if any of you Amsoil users are out their, please come to my aid.

Skip White

Skip White

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skip,
For people that have already brokin in their cars using mobil 1 10w30 would you suggest they switch to amsoil ser. 2000 on their next oil change?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dhady, yes I would strongly recommend using this product, and as some of you know, I sell it, but I don't care who you get it from, as I don't wan't the Viper community thinking I promote it's use to make a buck on it. I don't sell a product unless I really feel strong about it.

Skip White

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

The new extended life "Mobil Clean" oil is NOT the same as "Mobil-1". They are two different product lines, just soes you know.

I don't know anything about Amsoil, but I sure am gonna find out. Sounds interesting. Good for a small fleet owner like me who doesn't have time for 3000 mile intervals.

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my cars since they were new, at 6000 mile intervals. I warm up my cars before driving. If the oil looks black, I will change it regardless of the miles, but mostly at 6000 mile intervals. My engines are tight, so the oil doesn't get dark too quick. Here is my personal experience in some high mileage cars owned since new.

Ford F150 4.6L V8- 130,000 miles, no loss of gas mileage, NO oil needed AT ALL between changes.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L- 186,000 miles, no loss of gas mileage, NO oil needed AT ALL between oil changes.

Mobil 1 has proven itself to me, so I swear by it. I also used it in my wifes' Cadillac, but she didn't always warm it up, and it started using oil at 80,000 miles. I think the Northstar engine is partly to blame, with four valve stems per cylinder, there was a lot of seepage into the chambers from the heads. Its a throw away car, by the time you need head work, the car isn't worth the cost of repair.

My Viper gets its Mobil 1 changed at every track event, which ends up being a lot less than 3000 miles interval. In case anybody was wondering...

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: MOBILE 1 10W-30 \"Extended service\" -Snake oil or fluff??

Question does anyone know if there is any advantage to using this so called higher end oil made by mobile? The only difference between the conventional oil we use is the "New" marking and "protection for 15,000 miles". There is no futher information on the packaging to differentiate it from the previous.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs.aspx#FAQs1

"What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1."

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure the new formula has a better additive package, but why didn't they do this years ago? Amsoil has rated there Series 2000 at 35,000 miles for many years. I guess Mobil is more interested in selling oil, than the best available. Don't you guys remember Mobil 1 25 years ago. I think it was a 25,000 mile formula. Of course you need to change oil more frequently than these numbers, or the silt,dirt would destroy the engine. The stock filter only filters down to around 25 microns, and this will allow build up of very abrasive particles.

Here's what's good about a better additive package, when we change the oil in the Viper at 3000 or less miles, depending on how hard you drive it, the long life oils on the market, will be at hardly affected.

The most important reason I change more frequently in the Viper is because oils loose their volatile compounds, and they tend to thicken, therefore creating drag on the engine, not to mention thicker oil harbors heat.

Use what you will. I just can't get over the phenomenal results I've had with this product I've put Amsoil through, not to mention the specs comparisons are of the highest.

Skip White

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I may get beat up for this, so if any of you Amsoil users are out their, please come to my aid.

This subject has been beat up and down as much as anything in here. Tom will chip in soon I'm sure. As we know from past discussions, no one here will hold their own debating formulation with Tom. I think we can all agree that the additive package seems to be the key here and it appears that Mobil and Amsoil go about this differently.

So saying, I will just state my experience with Amsoil.
I have used it since 1976 over hundreds of thousands of miles. I now run the Series 2000 in the Viper. I use oil analysis every change which typically occurs between 5000 and 6000 miles. There is usually a track event in that amount and a few autocrosses. The oil always comes back good to go. The transmission and Unitrax rear end are also filled with Series 2000 products. The car was switched to this motor oil at 1700 miles. Over 44,000 on the clock now.

My pick up truck runs Amsoil synthetic 5w-30 and goes 20,000 between changes. Again, with oil analysis. My '01 4x4 Sierra has 129,000 miles on it and literally uses no oil. I went through 5 pick up trucks this way since 1995, putting roughly 40,000 miles on per year and 20,000 between oil changes. I did change oil filters at the halfway point.

Steve

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Amsoil.Series 2000 ? ..W-.. WHAT ? For a stock viper
and what grade for S/C viper...

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I picked up some Mobil 1 extended service oil by mistake and called mobil to see if it could be mixed with regular Mobil 1 super syn . They stated that the extended service oil could not be used in ANY car still under warranty.I didn`t ask why or any other questions just traded it for regular Mobil 1 super syn.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Howdy, folks.

Mobil has apparently formulated to keep more zinc-phosphorus anti-wear chemistry in the package, which is a very, very effective component. The OEMs have been trying to get the oil marketers to use less and less of this because they claim the phosphorus portion poisons catalytic converters. Because there is (still!) no engine test that demonstrates that phosphorus from oil harms catalysts, it's a continuing point of one side trying to bully the other about using it. It's much like lead in gasoline - cheap, effective octane enhancer benefit to consumers that arguably caused emissions difficulties for the OEMs.

Mobil claims to have 36% more anti-wear additive (than Mobil 1 formulation), which sounds like they have gone back to the 0.08% phosphorus level of the previous category. That might be taken wrong; these engine oil categories appear every two or three years and it might take that long for Mobil to conduct the extended drain tests. So as soon as the Mobil research is done, the latest and greatest category comes out and makes the oil with all the field data obsolete. In that regard, I applaud Mobil for the marketing guts to market a well-tested oil with a new performance claim and trying to differentiate their product rather than follow the commodity trail.

What this does, however, is disallow Mobil from a clear recommendation to use the oil in cars under warranty. You certainly could, it would be no worse than using an API SL oil (that had more phosphorus anyway) but Mobil is being honest, since the OEM requires an ILSAC GF-4 oil.

Mobil is also a global marketer and despite the reach, there are still only a handful of Mobil formulators. It is frustrating (as it was for me when doing the same thing) that one country (i.e. US) follows one lubricant development criteria and other countries (Europe) follow another. Europe is after a robust, faultless, high level of protection for the hardware oil, while the US is focused on fuel economy and emissions. So again, it could be that Mobil has taken the desirable European formulation and foregone the US emissions criteria for this product. (The API engine testing provides the API service symbol; the ILSAC GF-4 criteria adds a fuel economy and emissions criteria on top. Hence an oil can be API SL or API SM but doesn't have to be ILSAC GF-3 or ILSAC GF-4. Saying the oil meets ILSAC requirements then automatically includes API requirements.)

Now that we've touched on the API service symbol (the round "donut" on the back) and the ILSAC requirement (the "starburst" symbol on the front) let's talk about Amsoil. The ILSAC requirement costs extra time, money, testing, includes a manufacturing quality control process, and the manufacturer agrees to abide by certain manufacturing tolerances and recall provisions. It is what the OEMs point to when directing consumers to what oil to use. Therefore, falsely using it would be a slimy marketing tactic, no?

186Amsoil.gif

Here are a few Amsoil products. They all are viscosity grades typical for newer cars and they all seem to have the ILSAC symbol!! Surprise - only one is legal, the other three are clones of the symbol that appear to me to be there only to mislead the public. This issue is not a statement on the quality of the oil in the bottle, but that the use of a likeness will fool most people into thinking the oil has met certain performance and quality requirements. You can argue about whether you would buy something because it has the "Good Housekeeping Seal" or "Intel Inside" but at least if it says so, you expect it to be true. Sorry, Amsoil, sorry, Skip, until you clean up your customer information in your product marketing, this gives you a ********* eye.

Other comments: oils that turn dark quickly are good. The dispersants in the oil are picking up and holding soot, deposits, dust, etc in suspension so that it is removed when you change the oil. An oil that stays clear for a long time is bad, since it allows sludge to settle and stays in the engine.

Quote >The most important reason I change more frequently in the Viper is because oils loose their volatile compounds, and they tend to thicken, therefore creating drag on the engine, not to mention thicker oil harbors heat. <
Skip, all the literature about synthetic oils says that it is not volatile, that the superior thermal stability keeps the oil from thickening, and that the viscosity control keeps the oil running cooler. ????!!!!

In the end, can you go longer drains? Of course. Look at the oils in Europe that already do. Look at diesel oils in the US that go 40,000 to 80,000 miles. The oils are sometimes mineral, sometimes synthetic; it's the amount of additive that makes the difference. And if Mobil is entering the market with a Euro type oil, or increasing the additive level of a US oil, then it's no magic that drain intervals can be increased. If you want a conservative rule of thumb, take Mobil's word that they've increased the anti-wear additives by 36% and increase whatever your current drain interval is by 36%. So you guys that go 3000 miles can now go 4000 miles.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I picked up some Mobil 1 extended service oil by mistake and called mobil to see if it could be mixed with regular Mobil 1 super syn . They stated that the extended service oil could not be used in ANY car still under warranty.I didn`t ask why or any other questions just traded it for regular Mobil 1 super syn.

Sorry to go off subect but I love how you got the rt/10, gts, and the srt10 lined up like that...Looks awesome!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, that was confusing. As Herbert Shelton once said, 'let the truth be known, or the heavens fall'

If I read about what's best out there for the next five years straight, the leader would be Amsoil, no doubt about it. If I hadn't put different synthetic oils through my own backyard severe as you can get tests, and Amsoil came out on top, I would not speak about it the way I do, and when I mean severe, I mean severe tests, stuff you just would never put an engine through. I'm not an oil engineer, nor do I have a degree in the suject, but I do know this much, petro oil can't even come in the shawdows of any syn. oil, and Mobil Oil co. could care less about making a product as good as it could be. Not saying they don't have the know-how, they really wish the word synthetic didn't exist! Only because someone else started getting in on a market that once made them a fortune, did they come up a product known as Synthetic oil. Amsoils goal for over 30 years has been to make the best lube product in the world, and I'm convinced they have done that!

Skip White

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So why doesn't Amsoil get into the OEM market (or even the normal market) if they are that superior. There must be some place in the world that agrees with your assessment.

Their carpet bagger type of marketing is not one that tends to convince the general public in the oils superiority.

Questions that I would ask would be what OEM and engine model has successfully been tested through the OEMs normal development and showed not only that Amsoil could pass the test, but that in fact it was far superior to the other oils. Tom mentioned the symbol. That symbol represents that the oil manufacturer has tested their product through the API/Ilsac tests and surpassed the minimum requirements. Why is there no API or Ilsac symbol present on the 2000 that you promote? Inquiring minds (those that do not want to take a 15k gamble) want to know.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skip, you are stirring the *** of confusion.

"If I read about what's best out there for the next five years straight, the leader would be Amsoil, no doubt about it. If I hadn't put different synthetic oils through my own backyard severe as you can get tests, and Amsoil came out on top, I would not speak about it the way I do, and when I mean severe, I mean severe tests, stuff you just would never put an engine through."

Fine, read my post, too, and notice I didn't say the oil was no good.

"I'm not an oil engineer, nor do I have a degree in the suject, but I do know this much, petro oil can't even come in the shawdows of any syn. oil, "

Well, I was, and you're wrong. There are service applications where the solubility of the base oil is the overriding factor and mineral base oils are far better solvents than synthetic base oils.

"... and Mobil Oil co. could care less about making a product as good as it could be. Not saying they don't have the know-how, they really wish the word synthetic didn't exist!"

Wrong again. Mobil is basic in polyalphaolefins and are a huge producer. They wish everyone would use synthetics. In fact, they challenged Castrol when Castrol used a mineral-oil based component and called it "synthetic." They unfortunately lost the case. Now many oil marketers use Group III hydrocracked base oils in their "synthetics" because they are cheaper than PAO. Check the details on Shell and Castrol synthetic engine oils.

" Only because someone else started getting in on a market that once made them a fortune, did they come up a product known as Synthetic oil. Amsoils goal for over 30 years has been to make the best lube product in the world, and I'm convinced they have done that!"

Then why do they mislead the public about what is in the bottle? Amsoil's credibility comes to question in my mind when they make "versions" of an industry certification symbol. If Amsoil thinks the symbol has such strong marketing pull, why don't they get it for real, like everyone else? And if they don't think it's important, why put anything like the symbol on there? Poor, poor call on their part.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do I now switch to Amsoil's

I guess I just can't resist throwing in another cent or two.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use Amsoil and have for the last 29 years. I agree with Tom that Amsoil probably made a poor choice by branding many of their products in less than above board manner. However, Tom is lot closer to big oil that anyone else here and pays close attention to anything in this field. Personally, I think it was probably a waste of money on Amsoil’s part to put a colored circle on their stuff. As a guy who has changed his own oil since the 60’s, I never was aware of this symbol until Tom brought it up a couple years ago. I’ll guarantee that the vast majority of the motoring public knows nothing of such symbols. They go to the quick lube and get it done.

I will ask the questions:

Wasn’t it a consortium of big oil and the testing agencies that brought about the ILSAC stamp? Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it, it was this group who decided they needed to monitor their own products better. Why?

There are many who swear by other brands of synthetic products. Do Redline or Royal Purple carry the official (relatively new) ILSAC stamp? If not, is there a serious quality control issue with these products?

A non-petroleum oil company that puts out a quality product should not have to continually jump through costly bureaucratic hoops to market their products. If these companies weren’t putting out quality products, there would be warranty claims and they would cease to exist. The market would/will determine their success or failure. If memory serves, Amsoil was the first synthetic oil to be API rated back in the early 70’s

I hate to be cynical, but deceptive advertising is what fuels our ‘no save’ economy. From exercise equipment to drugs. It’s the American way. Whether or not Amsoil broke the ‘big oil’ rules is inconsequential to me. I buy it because I think it a good product and have had excellent results through 4 decades of use.

As for normal marketing methods. Direct marketing has been around since the Fuller Brush days, is widespread, and one of the successful forms of marketing being utilized today. Amsoil chose this approach in 1972 and, right or wrong, that’s the method they use.

Steve

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EXCELLENT thread! While I have used Mobil 1 religiously, I always want what is best for my vehicles. I also found it interesting that the current factory recommended 0W-30 (Mobil 1) says something to the effect of "European Blend" on the bottle. Hell, maybe that was my coffee - make it "Designed for European cars" or something like that...

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Read your owners manual! If it states that a specific type of approval is required (i.e. ILSAC, API or ASEA indicator) then you are potentially jeopardizing your warranty to use a lubricant that does not meet it. Same with extended life. if the manual states a service interval and you go beyond that interval you are taking a gamble.

Appreciate the fact that the only way warranty can be avoided is if car company determines that the non-compliance had a part in the failure. But it is up to them to decide that and not the owner.

What I meant to say here is that getting the "symbol" is important and if Amsoil has chosen to to oblige, they are in effect saying they are not in compliance with the OEM's requirements. I just do not understand. Would you buy a tire that refused to comply with safety regulations? How about a seat belt? How about your tires? Standards are meant to provide a minimum of protection. Amsoil apparently does not feel that need.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Steve,

You asked "Wasn’t it a consortium of big oil and the testing agencies that brought about the ILSAC stamp? Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it, it was this group who decided they needed to monitor their own products better. Why?"

Big oil and testing labs brought about the API service categories, as it was more efficient to run dyno tests (however severe and modified) than large fleet tests. So rather that 20+ car fleet tests in high and low temperatures, others at high speed/high load, others with various valvetrain designs, there are now a handful of dynos tests. However, with the advent of emissions regulations and fuel economy needs, the OEMs tacked on the ILSAC requirements. The two requirements are 1) fuel economy engine test and 2) emissions system protection. So "faking" the symbol is only "faking" the two added tests.

I did not mention Amsoil's API service credentials because I cannot see the back of the bottle. But the API website only lists the Amsoil XL product as having a current license.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0995

If the Amsoil products don't have the API certification, then having the starburst on the front (which has the prerequisite of having the API symbol on the back) becomes sort of a double mis-claim.

You asked "There are many who swear by other brands of synthetic products. Do Redline or Royal Purple carry the official (relatively new) ILSAC stamp? If not, is there a serious quality control issue with these products? "

I believe they both have a "racing oil" that does not and a "regular oil" that does.

You said "A non-petroleum oil company that puts out a quality product should not have to continually jump through costly bureaucratic hoops to market their products. If these companies weren’t putting out quality products, there would be warranty claims and they would cease to exist. The market would/will determine their success or failure. If memory serves, Amsoil was the first synthetic oil to be API rated back in the early 70’s"

No, they don't have to, and even the large oil companies occasionally don't. When SUV/truck oils first came out, they didn't carry the ILSAC starburst by choice because the starburst could have been misread as for "cars" rather than trucks. Mobil's extended drain oil is still using the "old" category of API SL. But the symbol issue is still a truth in advertising issue.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use 15W-40 diesel oil. More additives for more performance. The benefits of a synthetic base oil are mostly irrelevant to Viper use; nobody starts the engine below 10F and the oil doesn't run over 325F.

US diesel oil is API SG, SH, SL, and will be SM. Also CD, CF, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4. That testing covers any possible combination of heat, load, wear, and shear the oil would ever see in an engine. All for only a little more $ than passenger car oil.

And you can still go synthetic if you want. Synthetic diesel oil comes in 5W-40, a viscosity grade I think is ideal.

No, brand isn't important. They are all API certified, we'd be looking for differences in oils that are way overformulated, and the diesel OEMs are always checking on the oil marketers if something isn't right.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Tom,

I knew you would jump right on this. As usual, every time you post, I typically learn something. As I stated, I agree with you about Amsoil using the symbol if, in fact, it was plagiarized. I just don't find it to be as egregious as you.

I did a little checking on the API certification. Amsoil was the first synthetic oil to meet API requirements in the early 70's. However, you are right....it is only the XL7500 oil which they paid to certify. They consider this their baseline oil with a change interval which matches most OEM recommendations. The long drain oils have different formulation ad packs which I suppose could very well fall outside API classifications for different types. From your own analysis of my oil a few years ago....there was good stuff in there. I believe 'robust' was one term used. It out tested the Mobil 1 and my oil had seen much more severe duty and miles. You educated us all on the ad pack topic at that time.

Even without certification, using Amsoil cannot void your warranty unless the oil is proven to be the cause of failure. I believe there are court rulings to this effect. That's probably why 'or equivalent' appears in most auto manuals. There is a full warranty on their products if used in the stated manner.

An interesting comment was made to me while I was looking into this. They told me that Amsoil was using the starburst symbol on their products before ILSAC. They were subsequently asked to not use it and refused, saying it was theirs. Fact or fiction? If true, they are doing nothing wrong. Perhaps you might be able to dig into this. I don't have the time or desire. From a legal standpoint, I would think big oil would try to squelch a small company like Amsoil if they could.

On a more agreeable note.....Brakeman 3's will be going on in a month. Hope to be on a track in May to check out my new rear binders. Winter withdrawal is almost over although we still have 3-4 feet of snow in the yard.

Steve

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve I am going to stay out of this. I do not believe anything has changed since the last time it was discussed.

But, to hijack a thread I know you will return to ... Are you planning on going to Gingerman this spring? I want to kick some Gen II butt. :eek: Just kidding!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve I am going to stay out of this. I do not believe anything has changed since the last time it was discussed.

Hi Ron,

You're right. Nothing has changed. I've kind of stayed out of it myself when the subject has come a few times the last year or so. I dove in again, but have no plans to stay in the water. I still remain entrenched in my position and usage while learning a little every time.

But, to hijack a thread I know you will return to ... Are you planning on going to Gingerman this spring? I want to kick some Gen II butt. Just kidding!

Now to the important part. We are registered for Gingerman..sent in a month ago, although haven't heard back yet. I would be happy to follow you around the track and keep you honest. We are also signed up for the brunch this year. Unless there's still salt/snow/snowing here, that will be about 2500 miles in 3 weeks to kick off the season.

Steve

04Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom..Please review and give me your expert opinion...Thanks, Doc

GT-1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Typical Properties
SAEGRADE 5W-40
Density, g/cm3 @ 15.6ºC (60ºF) 0.846
Pounds per U.S. Gallon @ 15.6ºC (60ºF) 7.04
Color, ASTM D1500 2.0
Flash Point (COC), ºC (ºF) 232 (450)
Pour Point, ºC (ºF) -46 (-51)
Viscosity,cSt@40ºC 84.5 cSt @ 100ºC 14.3
SUS @ 100ºF 429
SUS @ 210ºF 76.5
Viscosity Index 175
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP 6,050
@ (ºC) (-30)
High Temp/High Shear Viscosity,cP @150ºC 3.8
Sulfated Ash, ASTM D874, wt % 1.1
Total Base Number (TBN), ASTM D2896 10.1
Phosphorus, wt % 0.093

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve,

Give those brakes a workout.

You're right, my whining can appear like harping on an insignificant detail. It comes from dealing with the OEMs who force all those odd requirements, double standards, and frequent changes on the oil marketers. A lot of it is dubious in value, and technically, a lot of the later oil categories are not better, just "different."

But since the rules exist, the OEMs say they point their new car customers to oil products that have the starburst on the front. So I see it as a fairness issue that some marketers play by the often stupid rules, but ought to reap the benefits of doing so. I see it as unfair that others don't follow the rules (which by itself is OK) but then portray that they do.

I buy knock-off printer cartridges and don't expect to see "Epson" on them. But if I buy a PC with "Intel Inside" I better see an Intel chip in there. The ink and the PC work fine, it's really the customer satisfaction of matching the price you paid with the value you perceive. Just don't fool me.

ILSAC was formed in the early '90's. The first category, ILSAC GF-1 was for API SH in the mid-'90's. If Amsoil had a symbol similar to the startburst, fine, but the picture I found shows 3 different "clones" and one real symbol. I have a little trouble with that explanation passing the smell test, but it could be. I'll look around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine