Modification suggestions please, I need some input

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off let me say I know this has been discussed and ive done my research in the "search" engine on the site and I Have found some great information. But I basically want to lay out my information and just get some opinions.

The performance packacges offered by the tuners are just too rich for my blood right now and I think I will be satisfied with going with a mopar packacge. I want to get the 3'' race exhaust, cams (mopar), and the ECU mod. This is like childs play I know for most tuners, but I figured it will be good enough for me. Heres my questions. Im also gonna add K&N intake which I think will be a nice finishing touch. Basically would it be better to get the Mopar stuff and the K&N and have someone else tune it? and forget about the Mopar ECU unit? or just go with the Mopar ECU controller and thats that? The cam I think would be cool to have, but again I'am asking is it really worth it to put in a cam (depending on how difficult it is) into the car when the cam really isn't that serious. I believe they claim 8HP.

I figure the catback exhaust is 700, 250 for the cam, and 450 or so for the ecu and 250 for the K&N, plus install we are generally looking at 2000-2500 bucks. This is PERFECT for me at the current time, in regards to cost.

Realistically I would love a full exhaust package, headers back, and tuning, but I dont think you can get that for less than 4K installed. Price is a factor here and I wanted some opinions, and suggestions, maybe you guys came accross something that will fill my desires.

Thanks
Naz.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would really be surprised if you could get the exhaust, cam, ecu, and filters INSTALLED for $2500. If the tuners are too rich for your blood, are you doing the install? Parts alone will be close too $2500. A cam swap is not just the cam! Even simple gaskets on these cars are a complete rip-off. Eight hosepower for the money is a complete waste of time. Do the exhaust and the filters, those will push you near your budget. If excessive noise is not a factor, do the Corsa track exhaust. Those two mods are building blocks for your future changes. Headers may be your next change after that.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to keep it simple and not spend too much $$, put on the Mopar cat-back exhaust, K&N FIPK kit (or just replace the stock filters) and put in 3.45 gears in the rear end. The gears will offer the most noticeable improvement of the three. These mods should be about what you are looking to spend. I agree with Camfab - doing a cam swap/ECU mod for 8 hp is a complete waste of time and money. I really would like to see what an otherwise stock viper would run in the 1/4 mile with these three mods. I did the same to my '04 white mamba when I first got it and it felt much better (especially after the gears). I got the "bug" and put on a Paxton before I had a chance to run it at the track though.

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
QUOTE:
"The gears will offer the most noticeable improvement of the three."
---------------------------------------------------
anyone know whats the srt's stock gearing. and i know the gears will take away some from the top speed of the car but at speed will the negative affect of 3.45 gearing show. meaning at what point will changing the gearing slow you down?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got 2 ideas

#1 vec 2
#2 btr nos propane

6400viper_d_no_bull_dyno_sheet_674-med.jpg

combine the two and see what you get and save thousands!!!!!

btw
I have both for sale

vd.. :2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you get constant power from the nos propane system? or would it only be good in drag racing/ short spurts. In a road racing situation i tend to think NA/supercharger/turbos will be much better suited to a constant need for power

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you get constant power from the nos propane system? or would it only be good in drag racing/ short spurts. In a road racing situation i tend to think NA/supercharger/turbos will be much better suited to a constant need for power

I agree with you 100% but a coupe of grand vs $30,000 is also a consideration to some. ;) I have had all 3.

I love drag racing so i am preprogramed for 1 thing only.

vd..

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy has the full Mopar 3'' race exhaust on Ebay that im gonna buy this week. Can someone send me a link to the exact K&N intake, are they all the same? I swear I saw two part numbers, one needs modification to install? haha I dont know, its a big mess. Someone lead me to the promise land.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the answer i was expecting D I have only drag raced twice ever. I just cannot get enough of do road course stuff like viper days and other driver education/ high performance driving schools mostly with my local Porsche Club of America(PCA). have you(Viper D)weighed your car with all the mods?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
last time it was 3440 with me and the blower. I just got the car back last week and havent had time to bring it to the dragway. A couple of buddies went and since its cold and not prepped right they said they were skating down the track. (last year a vca member went around this time of year with a stock rt10 and lost control mid way. I think i might want to wait a bit.

vd..

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the message. How much for your intake shipped to 60561? Let me know the total. I like the green filter switch and the sealing off. Let me know the total. Thanks again.