Mold spots on car cover...some help?

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just started getting mold spots on my car cover. They are about the size of a dime and are just on the top and not the sides. They are dry and I can brush them off with a soft brush. The garage is temp-controlled and haven't had a problem in over 3 years. Any ideas on where these might be coming from or is there a spray or something to prevent this. Humidity is low this time of year. Thanks!! :crazy:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw it in the wash machine then dry it. Or at least that is what I have done a couple times with my OM Gen I cover.

Just turn the heat setting down on the dryer.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tri Sodium Phosphate mixed with bleach and water will remove mold and mildew spots. This will work where other stuff wont.

I think you will find that the spots wont grow on the cover unless there is some kind of material there for them to grow on. A little spatter of beer or soda, is an example.

So like the guy above said, wash it and you probably wont get any more spots.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hung mine out on a line,sprayed with soapy water,rinsed and let dry.One of my dogs had the nerve to pisx on it.Yep he is still alive and watched more carefuly when near the car.Anyway you might be temp controlled but what about humidity?Ideal for car storage is 60-70 deg with 50% humidity.The humidity can be somewhat higher but you can get rust or mold.Lower and you begin to dry out leather,moldings etc.I prefer 40% for the winter but use a lot of leather,etc treatment. GTS Bruce

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I never thought about washing it. I might try that and then spray with the 303.

Unless you have a really high capacity washer, I'd take it to a laundromat and throw it in one of those huge machines. I tore one up in mine, and those things are not cheap!

OP
OP

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I never thought about washing it. I might try that and then spray with the 303.

Unless you have a really high capacity washer, I'd take it to a laundromat and throw it in one of those huge machines. I tore one up in mine, and those things are not cheap!
Yea, I was looking at my washer last night and was trying to figure out how the thing was going to fit in there. I think I'll wash it while it's on the car...then wash the car...line dry it. ( the cover...not the car!!) :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas