Mopar Hurst Throw Shifter

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know how easy it is to install the shifter. My dealer wants $ 400.00 for the install on Wednesday. I thought of doing it myself . Do I need to get under the car for the installation???

Cheers and thanks
Patrick

PS: I think i am going to go for a ride. 4k in a month ........Damn I need to slow down but I just can't get enough of this car.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you search there is alot of stuff on this. Basically, you have to go through the center console. You don't have to do anything under the car. I have made several posts asking for pics on removing console for 03s on up, but no sucess. On the vette forums they have a beautiful how to, but not for vipers. :(

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing an aftermarket shifter is not difficult. Briefly stated here is the procedure (from memory so please forgive any inadvertent omissions):

1. Remove the chrome ring around shifter.
2. Lift up the first rubber boot around the shifter shaft and disconnect the shaft, setting it to one side.
3. Unscrew the two screws at the back of the console. The seat backs must be tilted forward to allow access to these screws.
4. Work the console loose from the clips that hold it in place.
5. Once loose, disconnect the cigarette lighter electrical connection, the two electrical window connections (each should be marked as being “Left” and “Right”), and the connection to the auxiliary power plug inside the console compartment.
6. Having previously chocked the wheels to prevent the car’s rolling, work the boot around the hand brake up the shaft and remove the console. The hand brake must be at least partially released to accomplish this task. I don’t believe that the console lid must be removed.
7. Using a cobalt drill (available at Home Depot) drill-out the rivets holding the 2nd rubber boot. Don’t waste your time with regular drill bits as the rivets are hardened.
8. Vacuum up the drilling debris to avoid getting anything in the transmission.
9. Cut the plastic tie around the top of the shifter mechanism and remove the boot, placing it to one side for reuse.
10. Here is the most difficult part. Most instructions say to drill two access holes in the transmission tunnel to allow access to the bolts on the right side to the transmission. This is a real pain and I chose to simply cut the metal over the transmission by making two lateral cuts about 6” long at the front and rear of the existing access hole. A small jig saw with a metal cutting blade was used, tilted to about 45 degrees to avoid damage below the cuts. The resulting metal “flap” was then bent to the right to allow access to the transmission.
11. The new shifter was installed per factory instructions and the metal flap bent back to its original location.
12. The car was driven to assure that the installation was satisfactory.
13. A gasket made of multiple layers of aluminum foil and RTV was placed over the metal flap and the cuts to help seal-out water, heat, and fumes.
14. The removal steps were reversed and the car put back together. The B&M Shifter had self-threading screws included to replace the removed rivets.
15. One last suggestion, take a look at the B&M Shifter as a possible alternative to a Hurst. It is an excellent shifter as the postings here on the VCA Website attest and it allows the use of the factory shaft and knob, making the installation invisible.
Good Luck –

Lynn

Notice: This procedure is provided without warranty of any kind. Neither the editor, authors, nor the VCA assume any liability for any damage that may result from the performance of these procedures. Use of any information found here is definitely at your own risk!

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LynnS................thank you very much. You the man. Perhaps they should include your post in the " How to section" for others who wish to do this in the future. I know allot of guys would be interested.

Moderators , please note the above!!
Thanks
Patrick

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,

Are you planning on using the Mopar shifter knob along with the shifter? If you are not using the Mopar shift knob (and instead going with stock or MGW knobs), you will want to cut and thread the shaft to a desired length (height) BEFORE you install the shifter.

Also, the installation is a whole lot simpler if you put the car on a lift. That way, you don't have to drill or cut out any holes. Try to find a friend who has a lift, and the whole process will not take you more than an hour.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,

Are you planning on using the Mopar shifter knob along with the shifter? If you are not using the Mopar shift knob (and instead going with stock or MGW knobs), you will want to cut and thread the shaft to a desired length (height) BEFORE you install the shifter.

Also, the installation is a whole lot simpler if you put the car on a lift. That way, you don't have to drill or cut out any holes. Try to find a friend who has a lift, and the whole process will not take you more than an hour.

The Mopar Hurst shifter comes with the shifter and the knob attachment. Since my car is red , I chose to go with the red logo.

Thanks for the heads up. I am wondering if I should just let the dealer do it themselves. They told me its about an 4 hours of work. I don't know if I can get access to a lift. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the shifter installed.

Wow...........incredible, crisp and quick and you actually feel the gears engaging upon shifting. Comfortability level has increased 10 fold and I actually feel like I am a much better driver with this new mod. I could not arrange a lift so I had the dealer install it themselves and they did a great job. Entire process took about 2 hours.

Here are some pictures.

9357100_1081-med.JPG

9357100_1082-med.JPG

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tranny in my Gen II is being replaced this weekend. Chrysler now replaces the warranty Gen II transmissions with SRT 10 trannys so I am adding the comp coupe (hurst) shifter.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Directions come in the box. I had asked the same question before starting the project myself. It's straight forward.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got through installing the Hurst shifter. Since I wanted to use my MGW shift knob, I cut about 1.5” out of the middle of the stick and welded it back together. This allowed me to put it all back together and look just like it did before. I did not like any of the ball knob options that go with the shifter at all, so it was important to be able to use my MGW knob. The through is definitely shorter than it used to be, it will take a little getting used to but I think I am going to like it a lot.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$400.00 to change the shifter is a rip off. It should take a qualified Viper tech about twenty minutes. Remove shift knob and shaft. Leave the boot in place. Then put the car up on the lift; disconect one end of the transmission; drop it down a bit; take off the old shifter; put on the new shifter;and put the tansmission back in place. Lower the car to the ground. Put back the shaft or new shaft and the knob or new knob. No rivet issues. No mess. I have had it done twice. The first time I installed the SVS shifter by itself. I found it allowed a bit too much road noise into the cabin and there was a bit more ngr than I liked. I then canabalized the rubber grommet and the damper from a stock shifter and combined them with the SVS shifter. For me, this resulted in perfection. Almost all road noise eliminated and almost all ngr eliminated with crisp, short throw shifts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery