Mopar Nationals 2008//Drag Racing?

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ohio VCA will again host Viper owners at the Mopar Nationals Aug 8-10 at National Trail in Columbus Oh. We'll have a tent to park our cars and the Jegs suite to watch the action.
WE are offering a $1000 purse for the drag racing program. My question is what should the format be? We never get more than one or two fast competiton cars so I'm leaning to a bracket program with a low ET bonus.
I'd love to have a heads up competition between Lee Saunders and some other cars. Is there anyone else out there?
Give me your thoughts.

Mopar Nats Home

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the thinking. $500 for low ET. Viper Powered with IRS. $400 to win and $100 RU for the racing, which will be run off a 1/2 sec index. Spots off your index (ex 10.50 to a 11.50) on a full tree.
Too hard to handicap a pro tree.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for him> He was there two years ago with a street viper. Said he'd bring the fast car if someone showed up to race.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 Viper Nationals Drag Racing is coming to the Mopar Nationals

August 8-10, National Trail Raceway, Columbus OH

In addition to the Mother of all Mopar car shows, the Mopar Nationals will host the Viper Nationals in 2008! The Ohio VCA has partnered with the Mopar Nats to offer Viper drag racing. This is the biggest of all Chrysler car shows on the planet. Join the Ohio VCA to race, watch, party and tour thousands of vintage Mopars.

The racing program will follow our traditional index format. Viper owners can pick their class based on half second increments. The index classes will range from 8 seconds to 12.5 seconds. Competitors in the first rounds will initially be paired with cars in the same class (i.e. 12.5 vs. 12.5) until one car remains. If there is only one car per class they will race other cars using class’s indexes as a handicap. Eliminations will continue using class handicaps until a winner is determined.

Races will be run on a FULL tree. The Ohio VCA and Viper Club of America Midwest region will provide a purse of $1000. Winner $400, RU $100, Low ET $500.

Rules are: Must be a factory produced, V10 powered Viper with IRS suspension.
Final determination on eligibility is the discretion of the Ohio VCA.

Time trials are planned to run on Friday and Saturday morning. Eliminations will take place Saturday afternoon.

Join us at this mega event and enjoy the cars and the hospitality. Pre registration is available on the Mopar Nationals web site. http://www.moparnats.org/

Racing Questions contact Paul Suloff 330 644 4459 or [email protected]

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to..........BAD, but am trying to figure out how not to have to go back and forth from AL to Ohio then back home and turn right around to Detroit. I need to figure out *********** two week in Ohio or Mich.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several Ohio VCA members could help with secure storage of your car between events. Drive in fly home and fly back. Let me know if you want me to check.
[email protected]

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping to make it to the Nats this year! If so, it will be my first time down the 1/4 with it!:drive::D

In regards to killing time, the entire week after the Nats is the Woodward Dreem Cruise in Detroit. It would be well worth the time......

Robert

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found it. IRS rears with Viper power are the only restrictions for Low ET money. Anything goes for the index classes (solid rears OK)

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How strict will tech be? I'm not too far away as I live in Indy. My car runs 10.8/10.9's trapping 130's but not worth the drive to me if I can't run it. If you're following NHRA rules anything running quicker than a 11.49 is suppose to have a roll bar. My suspension and drivetrain is stock - right down to the clutch.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How strict will tech be? I'm not too far away as I live in Indy. My car runs 10.8/10.9's trapping 130's but not worth the drive to me if I can't run it. If you're following NHRA rules anything running quicker than a 11.49 is suppose to have a roll bar. My suspension and drivetrain is stock - right down to the clutch.

Excellent point! I would like to know if the techs will be "viper friendly". :confused:

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul I am pretty sure I will be there....car or not. It's been too long since I've done anything with the club. I've got plenty of secure storage available around the downtown area in Cbus if anyone is in need.

Chad

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome run Viperrt96. It would be great if both Lee and Sal could make it out with Sal's recent run of 7.74@188 with IRS. And with the 90mm turbo's on Lee's new set up... that car will run some serious times for sure.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome run Viperrt96. It would be great if both Lee and Sal could make it out with Sal's recent run of 7.74@188 with IRS. And with the 90mm turbo's on Lee's new set up... that car will run some serious times for sure.

Thanks - not bad for an old GenI

Wow! a 7.74 :omg: I would go just to see that !

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have had pretty good luck with the tech at Columbus. We use the if they don't ask, don't tell. We've had cars well below 11.49 without bars and cars in the 9s without a cage. They haven't asked about driveshaft loops or clutch cans.
No guarrantees but be cool and don't fess up to mods, tell them you run high 11s and it shouldn't be a problem. Do be sure to have the other equipment required for your ET, helmet, jacket etc.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had some questions about what runs are eligible for the Low ET money.

Vipers will be called to t he lanes together for time trials on Fri and Sat morning. Eliminations will take place Sat afternoon. Any run during the "Official" Viper time trial runs or eliminations will be eligible for the low ET money. Be sure to bring me that time slip for verification after the run.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping to make it to the Nats this year! If so, it will be my first time down the 1/4 with it!:drive::D

In regards to killing time, the entire week after the Nats is the Woodward Dreem Cruise in Detroit. It would be well worth the time......

Robert

Yeah, how about a newbie class? I've owned the car for 4+ years but never been on an "official" 1/4 mile track (been on a few un-official ones though :)).

What do we need besides a helmet?

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your in the 12s all you need is a helmet, long pants and long sleeves. 11.99 you need a fire jacket.
If you arrive Fri you'll get time trials as well as Sat morning. Classes are based on a half sec index ie 12.50, 12.00, 11.50 ect. So you just need to pick the one that is closest to your time trials and don't go faster on race day.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably too late to sign up on line via Mopar Nationals site. Just pay at the gate. If your pitting you car from a trailer you'll need to park the rig in the pits and work from there. If you drive your car or will race it as is, come to the Viper Tent near the head of staging to park your car with us. Hopefully, I'll have a layout of the grounds up here next week.

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we've got some pretty good cars coming! Only a week away be sure to join us.

VIPER NATIONALS
August 8-9, 2008
Viper Owners Information

RACE PROGRAM

The racing program will follow our traditional index format. Viper owners can pick their class based on half second increments. The index classes will range from 8 seconds to 12.5 seconds. Competitors in the first rounds will initially be paired with cars in the same class (i.e. 12.5 vs. 12.5) until one car remains. If there is only one car per class they will race other cars using class’s indexes as a handicap. Eliminations will continue using class handicaps until a winner is determined. Break out rule applies. Too fast and you’re out. Does not apply on single runs or when your opponent has been disqualified. Lane choice or Bye Runs (one bye per event) will be determined by the competitor who ran closest to their index in the previous round.

Races will be run on a FULL tree. The Ohio VCA and Viper Club of America Midwest region will provide a purse of $1000. Winner $400, RU $100, Low ET $500 (time slips) must be verified by Ohio VCA. Must be a production Viper, V10 Powered and have IRS suspension.

Time trials are scheduled on Friday (three) and Saturday morning (two). Eliminations will take place Saturday afternoon. Check you race entry form to determine when the Vipers will be called for time trials and racing. The various classes will be cycled through the same each time.

Questions? Look for Paul Suloff at the Viper Tent on Friday.
VIPER SHOW CAR JUDGING AND CLASSES
Show cars may register at the gate.
All Vipers should park at the Viper tent, located at the head of staging next to RT 40. See Map.
Classes for those wishing to be judged are listed below. Judging will take place Saturday at the Viper tent. Refer to you entry information for specific judging times.
Gen 1
Gen 2
Gen 3
Gen 4

Hospitality
Viper Owners will have access to the Ohio VCA tent and the Jegs tower suite. The Jegs suite will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday to view the activities on track. You must have a wrist ban to enter the tower area. See an Ohio VCA member to get a wrist band.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21