MOPAR PERFORMANCE ECU ACTING CRAZY !! help HELP !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am having a problem with a MOPAR ecu that I installed on my 2002 ACR. It seems to work GREAT for WIDE OPEN THROTTLE, but on idle it fluctuates rpms between 650-450 (for just a few moments after coming down from a spirited drive).

But also, when its COLD it sends out a TON of misty clear/white smoke, but then clears up if you turn the car off, and turn it back on.

Is there SOMETHING I am missing here, does the 2002 Vipers NOT do well with this performance computer ?? Do I need to change spark plugs or something else, to work with this MODIFICATION ??

BTW, YES, I DO HAVE T&D ROCKERS, B&B COMPLETE exhaust system, ACR COMES WITH SMOOTH TUBES AND HI-FLOW FILTERS.

My only idea so far, came from my viper tech friend, he asked me to bring my car by today, and he is going to clear the computer, so it LEARNS from scratch MY car. The computer originally came out of another car, and he feels its STILL confused as to what it should do, since the ORIGINAL car was the 98 GTS, which has the better cam shaft and OTHER mods that my 02 does not.

ANY IDEAS ?? PLEASE HELP, I DON'T WANT TO DYNO A SICK ECU.. AND PEOPLE ARE WAITING TO SEE IF IT MAKES ANY POWER ON A 2002 ACR.

Thank you.

-Jon

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to do a search about that ECU, I remember lots of posts about the Mopar ECU, I believe it was discontinued due to poor performance. The stock ECU actually worked better.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-Jon,

The ecu requires a few hundred miles in order to "learn" your mods. Also, anytime that the battery is disconnected, for the first few dozen miles and associated key cycles the car can idle very irratic and possibly stall after lifting off the accelerator from cruising rpm. These are common side effects of computer changes and computer clearing.

As for the ECU itself, they were originally programmed to be used on cars with headers/exhaust/tb's and rockers..I believe and, its design is to lean out the mixture and increase the timing(two items that are no-no's when considering some mods like NOS or forced air induction). I don't know of too many folks that have been pleased with the computers performance.

Good luck,

Tom

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the response. I actually have B&B complete 3 inch exhaust system including high flow cats, headers and cross over pipe in the back, where the OLD secondary muffler was. I also have the T&D's installed, and since its an ACR, I also have the smooth tubes, and the K&N's. I remember reading on the web sight from MOPAR that I needed JUST those parts, not the TB's.

I wonder if I should buy the T.B. 's next, what size is good ??

But most importantly, I did get it reset by a viper tech today, and it seems to be doing better, but it still seems a LITTLE flaky, when cold and giving PARTIAL throttle, it seems to want to "drag" the motor, UNLESS you give it more gas... almost feels like your DECELERATING, while doing PARTIAL throttle..

BUT I DID DYNO IT TODAY, and it added 5 hp, and 5 TQ over the stock ecu, which we did MANY pulls on the STOCK ECU, and many pulls on the MOPAR ECU, and MOPAR was MORE consistent.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by Jon B. that the Mopar ECU would not work on the 2002 because of the ABS. Is your ABS light on and do they work?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Brad said earlier, do a search on here. Many people seemed to have ongoing problems with the ECU and I also though it was d/c'd. You reported it made a little power for you which is great. Hopefully it will learn your mods and clear up. Did you buy this new or used. Again I thought they stopped producing them. As far as the TB's go, people with FORCED INDUCTION are using 70mm. With NA motors I don't think there is a significant gain in power (with the later cars) when you consider the $$.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8avette, not true. JohnB is wrong on this one. My abs works fine on my 2002 ACR, with the old 1999 mopar ECU. Yes it is discontinued, but a friend had one, and he let me borrow it. Even have a friend thats a VIPER tech, and he VERIFIED the fact that it was the mopar performance ecu with his odb III. Not sure I would actually buy one myself, if the little gains I actually got were to be expected.

BTW, doing a search for Mopar ECU or any number of quotes, returns some 800+ articles, and MOST of them are UNRELATED to the mopar ecu at all, they show up, becasue of how many people have in their signatures "mopar ecu". If you know of a smarter search, please let me know, otherwise, your "do a search for mopar ecu" trick doesnt really work.

Thanks.

-Jon