"Mopar Performance News" Made Me Mad !

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
\"Mopar Performance News\" Made Me Mad !

Publications you enjoy can still make you mad on occasion!
I have subscribed on-off-on to MPN since 1991. Good Stuff.
I was proud to be featured in Sept 1991 issue!

But the NEW issue, 'All Night Long' had a great letter in it about Tommy Archer and his Trans-Am Viper. Wrote Jim T: "How about a feature on Tommy Archer and the car, and a Trans-Am Box Score each month. Some Dodges DO turn right, y'know" .

Of course, Im RAH-RAH JIM !

Editor replies: .....the standard Viper V-10 isn't legal in Trans Am.......frankly, the hybrid nature of the hardware - in a non-factory application that you cannot buy and drive on the street - makes it hard for us to cover them. "

WHAT? Can I believe what I'm reading?

The NASCAR Intrepid is generously covered by MPN, but even a fan cannot identify one easily, on track, or on TV, much less buy one! Can we buy a Craftsman Truck Series Ram? An Outlaw?
A NHRA dragster? A Reynard-LMP? HECK NO! And yet, 80% of the REST of the MPN issue dealt with these "hybrids in non factory applications"! At least the Trans-Am motor is a MoPar hybrid! The body design shouts VIPER! It just needs a logo and RED paint!

The last REAL Dodge that was raced (and still is, in ALMS and SCCA and FIA, and yes Viper Days Challenge) is the VIPER! And many of us want to see MORE, even if it is re-bodied, MoPar powered, Viper loyalty-inspiring winning by Cinjo-Archer. And hard-campaigned races by AVR.

WE WANT VIPER RACING.......NOT EXCUSES! Factory backed, sponsored, sanctioned, with CONTINGENCY packages for privateers.
One Nascar Intrepid Clone $$$ could fund FIVE vipers in Trans-Am. Maybe More. Dodge has abandoned the Viper lineage of victory in 1997-98-99-2000. HANDED it to GM on a platter. FREE!

Bob Lutz's next chapter of "Ode On A Viper" might be:

"Viper Fans, get off your Rears........
The Viper's great, but Watch Your Mirrors."

RACE THE NEW VIPER ! Support AVR, CINJO, and Viper Owners.

--and please, no smug hints/teases about Monterey....I KNOW about Monterey. I was THERE, at the Pebble dias for GTS-R launch in 1995 --- Launch is one thing. Follow-thru with RACING is another. Dodge did it right in 1996-2000. Will D-C in 2002? Lets hope so.

We Love Vipers. {...and MPN ! Call 1-866-GO-MOPAR to subscribe...THEN write a letter !!!)

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Mopar Performance News\" Made Me Mad !

ARGGGG !!!! Did DC happen to notice the NATIONAL CBS coverage of the Portland Trans Am race last weekend when they mentioned that "this was DODGES first win in Trans Am since the last time Tommy Archer won in" (1992/1993 I forget which year). DC, I think you could call this FREE NATIONAL ADVERTISING. Too bad you're not out there assisting the team, so far.

Point is that Cinjo's car "looks" more like a street Viper than does any race platform since the GTS-R. And when it comes to the "hybrid nature of the hardware" don't think that the Nascar Intrepid is any closer to somthing in the showroom than was the GTS-R or any of the other platforms Jon mentioned. The facts of life are that race cars look sometimes look like street cars but under the skin they are something completely different.

Come on DC, this is real racing with a real NATIONAL exposure. And unlike the BIG $$$$ Nascar effort, this venue actually has a win on national TV to its credit.

Check out Racer magazine this month - a feature on Cinjo/Archer. Please DCR, let's get them some positive ink from the home camp.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB, I hope you forwarded this letter to MPN.
cool.gif

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

This is beyond belief !! Jon don't just forward your letter , lets all voice our outrage, and send this thread in. Obviously the Editor doesn't have all his stock parts either, like PRIDE, LOYALTY, OR PR SKILLS !!!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just spoke to DCR (the editor) and he said you guys (especially Jon) have changed his thought process! Very well put!

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My little Smiley Face is wearing his shades to disguise himself and his embarrassment from irate readers ...

JonB makes a rather better point than I did in answering Jim Tomczyk's letter regarding coverage of the Cinjo Racing Viper [MPN August, p. 5].

The "hybrid nature" I referred to in the response had to do with the fact that Vipers are not built with V-8 engines -- notwithstanding the fact that the NASCAR Winston Cup Dodge Intrepid R/T isn't built with a V-8.

Most of you are aware that my MPN content is largely dictated by the "senior series" in which DCX factory and factory-supported teams participate. It in no way helps that my page count went down from 40 in previous years to 24 this year. So, that means I gotta cover in 18 editorial pages everything I covered last year in 34, PLUS the 4-5 Winston Cup races each issue.

The physical room for additional coverage of a privateer (stay with me here; by which I mean a non-factory-supported team) in yet another series is precious. Yes, sharp-eyed among you, we do at least mention the Run With the Ram privateers in the Truck Series, but we don't "cover" them per se.

Please don't confuse this with the sponsorship issue. Motorsport Operations budgets are under review this moment, and I cannot address the wisdom or lack of same regarding whether the factory should or should not give Cinjo sponsorship. Those decisions are made much farther up the food chain from my protozoan level, so if you feel like continuing that thread, go crazy.
I'm not in it.

All of which leads me to this: I agree that MPN should find a way to cover Archer's exploits, and I'm going to figure out how to to do that beginning with October, in progress right now. Thanx to Jon, Jim & Don for turning me around on an issue I already felt like redressing (some of you know I've been a Green Card holder in the Viper Nation a while ...).

But Bill, man ... sheesh. Have a heart on a guy! LOL

best~

// DCR SENDS //

PS: Our toll-free line isn't an "800" number -- call 1-866-GO MOPAR instead! And watch for some "Viper racing news" to emerge from Monterey this weekend ...

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DCR on 08-15-2001 at 10:23 AM</font>

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Dear DCR,

Nice answer, and hopefully we will see a couple blurbs on T. Archer, the T1 Drivers at the SCCA Nationals in October, and maybe Finals of Viper Days. As an owner of the meanest machine in the DC pit, we are a sensitive bunch who still likes to see the car with the best Racing Record ever at Dodge, in print when appropriate. I put my shades on too, so sorry for being so harsh.

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We still lova ya Dan. For those on the board who have never had pleasure, Dan ("DCR") is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.
cool.gif

Reaction score

DC wake up and support Viper racing! Cut the Dodge NASCAR program and get ORECA and Am. Viperacing in front of the Vette and Saleen. NASCAR is boring!

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigsViper:
JonB, I hope you forwarded this letter to MPN.
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Don, as a professional courtesy to VIPER BUD Dan Ross, I forwarded it to him immediately upon posting. I titled it "Letter To the Editor."

Hence, a nice reply here, and to me personally. {As you would expect from a gentleman.)

I do hope that Racing fans will subscribe, and then use that venue as a platform to ask for more VIPER RACING ! I subscribed to MPN because it was 10 extra months of news about VIPERS in FIA, ALMS, ACO, etc....... now all but extinct.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
DC wake up and support Viper racing! Cut the Dodge NASCAR program and get ORECA and Am. Viperacing in front of the Vette and Saleen. NASCAR is boring! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AND NOT ONE NASCAR WINSTON CUP VICTORY ! I wonder what Dodge's NASCAR participation has cost per lap? How many extra INTREPIDS it sold? Im GLAD Dodge is back, but ONE CUP TEAM {of 8?} would surely have funded a 2-3 car Trans-Am or ALMS VIPER effort.

[ Lottsa trucks win tho. YAY ! ]

Viper was abandoned while on top. Sheesh.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very nice reply! And hopefully DC higherups (non-protozoa)realize the bar has just been significantly raised. Anyone with any business sense who doesn't realize Bob Lutz's presence at GM means that the gloves just completely came off the c-6 program is dreaming. I personally feel that DC is completely ignoring not only what a small sum of money in the hands of privateers could do for pr. (Paging Mr, Mumford, Mr. Schel), but ignoring the pr implications of not committing to development of the GTS concept car. I have a deposit on the 2003 but I really want that next GTS. Heck, I've bought so many vettes Iv'e lost count, my NCRS number is 1256, that means I joined in the mid 70's DC made of me whats called a "conquest sale", with the help of what's his name, Pimberton. But if DC can't keep up and Mr Lutz brings us a 600-650hp Vette that wins on the track, would I be tempted back? Yeah, maybe, but the real point is I just bought a Durango, loaded. Get it DC?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regardless of whether you appreciate the NASCAR scene (I personally enjoy watching Gordon lay the wood to the 'necks, but don't like the idea of attending a NASCAR event and being poisoned by the second hand smoke created by the other "fans" hovering over the grandstand), there is no way you can argue that equivalent dollars spent by Dodge in any other series would bring as much marketing value.

Fact is that NASCAR has a large and growing market share and people do have some sort of brand recognition with the makes and models they see going 'round and 'round on Sunday. I'm sure that the dollars generated in Intrepid, Ram, et. al. sales due to NASCAR signage and name placement far outweigh any Viper sales or ancillary MOPAR sales that were garnered from ALMS sponsorship. The multitude of 'necks running around in Sterling Marlin gear are much more likely to drop $25,000 on a Dodge product that they can slap a NASCAR sticker on than the few ALMS afficionados are to go out and snap up a Viper or any other Dodge product based on Archer's latest victory. In fact, I'd bet the demographic of people clamoring for ALMS, etc. coverage is much more likely to own a real German car than any Dodge product, outside of the Viper.

Dropping cash into a series that receives maybe one nationally televised event a year (not counting the Speedvision gigs run between episodes of Matlock) does not seem like a wise use of marketing/advertising dollars in lean times. Sure, it would be great if Dodge could keep its NASCAR program going AND still throw some cash at Viper teams, but until the economy starts to look rosey, I wouldn't bet on it. Look at the bright side, maybe if its NASCAR sponsorship increases Intrepid and Ram sales enough, DC won't feel pressured to cut Viper production entirely, and maybe we might even see a Chapter III GTS.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
..........there is no way you can argue that equivalent dollars spent by Dodge in any other series would bring as much marketing value.............I'm sure that the dollars generated in Intrepid, Ram, et. al. sales due to NASCAR signage and name placement far outweigh any Viper sales or ancillary MOPAR sales that were garnered from ALMS sponsorship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you (esp the smoking) and I disagree:

A) VIPER turned around CHRYSLER, and has influenced the look and "IMAGE" of every D-C vehicle except Jeep.

B) The AURA Of Viper can continue to be spread across the future linup, IF VIPER IS TREATED as the showcase race-car-for-the-street that it is. [Now, it is a HAS-BEEN Race car for the street.]

C) Dodge oversold Viper in every year but one, and did not have to spend a dime to do it. So the advertising arguement is true, BUT:

D) Dodge does NOT have to drop NASCAR (just 1 team) to return Viper to racing, and restore the "Race Car For The Street" image and success-aura to the whole Dodge lineup.

I am entertained by NASCAR...But I am emotional about VIPERS! So is the public.....or folks would run up to INTREPIDS and ask to take a picture.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Trivial (trivia) question Jon,

What year didn't Dodge sell out the Viper?</FONT f>

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I count 4 Trans Am events on CBS...

Re. the $$$ for Nascar I think that we might be barking up the wrong tree, but we're at least in the right forest. The round-n-rounds are sponsored by the Dealer network, I think entirely.

I think the key is that it's short sighted to think that Nascar does anything for the Dodge image. Everyone is in Nascar. (And some of the other "manufacturers" are actually winning races, imagine that...)

ONLY Dodge has the guts to build a car like the Viper. Lutz had it right when they did the unthinkable and built a car not based on market share analysis, not simply to make a profit on that particular model. The Viper is a corporate icon, it's an image, it's a statment, it's guts courage and balls all rolled into one. Now that kind of thinking does something for the entire R/T lineup. Too bad the guy who started it is now is at GM.

It sure wouldn't hurt me to see just a couple of less national "Dodge Different" ads and instead see some corporate effort in road racing.

If I weren't going to RA to see Trans Am and CART this weekend my next choice would be Monterey. Hope someone there has a camera.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..you might be interested to know that some of those "necks" that Gordon is beating are Viper owners (and, some Prowlers--not to mention Lear Jet owners-I know I've ridden with some of them in all 3). You are correct, however that D-C gets one heck of a bang for the buck in Nascar that it could never get by funding Vipers. But , remember it takes about $12-$14,000,000per yr, per car to run with the top 10 guys in NASCAR these days (5 yrs ago 3-5 million). You could probably run a highly successful Viper program for walking around change by comparison. One day Dodge will win in NASCAR (maybe Sunday in Michigan) NASCAR has done everything it can to assure a win including the recent 2 inch front end gift. No Dodge team has hit on the right chassis /engine set-up, and in truth , when you get past Marlin and W. Burton there aren't many shots at a win (oh sure, Bill will run up front when he has a decent car) Anyway, complaining about the spending the co puts in NASCAR vis a vie not supporting a Viper program is an apples/oranges analysis.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have become a keen follower of the ALMS and LeMans 24Hr as a result of the participation of the Viper. I have resided in the United States since 1975 and saw sportscar racing basically disappear off the national scene (TV)during this time. Since Panoz started ALMS I have attended several races, usually two per year,follow the series on Speedvision, and have grown into a Lemans 24Hr- Daytona 24Hr fan. The rivalry between the Corvette and the Viper, from my point of view, is sorely missed this year. Now I turn on the TV last week and see Tommy Archer racing his V8 Viper and nothing could pull me away. This was great racing - the guys goes all the way to the back of the field and fights his way to the front - it doesn't get any better than this. Thanks to ALMS, sports car racing is coming back with a bang and I truely believe that the Viper had a lot to do with this - Panoz' brilliance in seeing the "big" picture sure had a lot to do with this success, but .......timing...timing...timing. The fact there is a Viper in Trans Am .... great series, justs need more of the Viper,Corvette, Mustang type competition.

Where will ALMS be 5-10 years from now. Just look at the growth in the attendance, and the growth in the TV audience. Speedvision is appropriately named - these folks have vision.
The crowds at Sears Point and Laguna Seca are bigger every year.

So the fellas at Dodge need to wake up - and get the company back into the fastest growing form of motorsports outside of NASCAR.

I have been a loyal CART fan for years, but I find I enjoy the AMLS races far more. Still watch and attend both.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gavin:
........I turn on the TV last week and see Tommy Archer racing his V8 Viper and nothing could pull me away. This was great racing - the guys goes all the way to the back of the field and fights his way to the front - it doesn't get any better than this.........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, but it DOES ! Attending in person, jaunting to victory lane, and then having dinner with this generous guy and team afterwards!

MOSPORT THIS WEEKEND !!!! Toronto VCA on the AVR crew

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,

I have my red leather Viper jacket on and if they had a place to park it I would be taking my Viper with me but they do not at Lowes Motor Speedway. I am going to be in the Miller Suite watching the race I wonder how many questions I will get about Vipers today???? Point well made, listen DC!!!!! I am tired of seeing Vettes and Saleens in the front.... Still do not know what a LMP car is and do not want to see another one after yesterday....

I have run about 80 laps on Lowes myself in a Nascar car but I have also run at Moroso, St Louis, VIR, Putnam, Watkins Glen in a Viper and I think I have a real appreciation for "real" racing!!!

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveB:
...I was just reading the October issue of MPN and it said something about this thread on the Viperclub Bulletin Board. And after reading the thread....WOW!! I applaud you guys for voicing your opinions. And by the looks of this issue, they did respond. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What else would you expect from DCR? Thanks, Dan!

I have NOT yet received my issue, but a little bird (***** Woodpecker) called to alert me!

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never let it be said that we aren't "customer driven."

In more ways than one, I think ...

laugh.gif

best!

Go Navy!

// DCR SENDS //

ps: Don't forget we "blurbed" the race-win story on the cover, too!

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DCR on 10-09-2001 at 12:48 PM</font>

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

about time someone said about this.I want to see a viper in action.I tired of seeing the corvette and the sleen race and theres no normal red snakes going around the track.Jon B. i'm with you all the way!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper