Mopar Performance Parts for SRT-10's

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Mopar Performance Parts for SRT-10\'s

I can't keep the thing from spinning wildly with the stock gears. What am I gonna do with even more??? At this point I don't think 80hp(feel) would make my 0-100 times any better.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viperfreak2,

Jason Heffner just did 3.55 differential for me, and I think it definitely makes the car more fun to drive. For the first time since I got the car, I got to use all 6 gears without going over 100 MPH. The throttle response feels a heck of a lot more quicker than stock. All I have to do now is to try to figure out how to make the tires stick to the pavement.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Mach500. I really want a better 'feel' , but without better tires........One question: If Roe ever comes along with a supercharger system for the SRT, would it still be wise to have the 3.55 change? I'd hate to change only to find out the stock gearing would be better for higher HP applications.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think one of the reasons people (including me) are looking at lower gear ratios is because the taller tires offset the increase in power such that the SRT is effectively geared taller than a Gen I/II. Driving in warm weather on good pavement the SRT tires bite about the same as the smaller Pilots. An increase in ratio to 3.30 would about cancel out the difference. So with a 3.30 ratio the SRT would have about the same traction limit as a Gen II with about 440-450 RWHP. The increase to 3.45 or 3.55 just ups the ante a little and further increases the fun to drive aspects.

On the street I am only traction limited a small portion of the time, and generally only from a standstill. The lower gear may increase that some, forcing a bit more throttle control, but the increased acceleration in the lower gears would be worth it. Plus 6th would become much more useable, with a top speed in the 155 to 160 region.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So how can one tell if the posi "pins" are broken? Do you wait for the catastrophic "crunch" and then have it towed, or are there warning signs?

If you break the cross pin, you'l know it, and the factory will warr. it, but your car will be down for some time. One SRT owner I know broke two of them, and his car was down for several weeks, the new pin that has been designed by Unitrax is very, very strong. I think every SRT need to have this simple upgrade done even if they are not changing gears out. If the OEM pin breaks you will tear up most of the rearend. There are no warning signs whatsover.

Skip White

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Skip,
Where can the upgraded pins be purchased? How difficult are they to install in the differential?

Thanks,
Scott

GTS103

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where did you get the 355 gears? Did they offer a 373 ratio?

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The 3.55 gear will stop you from running your 0-60's in first gear won't it?

Right now the stock gear is what allows the sub 4 second 0-60's. With the higher ratio you'll have to make a shift in prior to 60.

But the 3.55 will feel a whole lot better coming out of the corners... and your clutch will love the reduction in torque handling on launch (with the tires reaching slip limits at lower engine rpm and breaking lose sooner).

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why can't they just build everthing in to begin with. I'd still buy it. Now i have to pay twice+labor=three times.
Rather just pay once. Why not have gearing designed that electronically switches 3.07/3.55 w/out penalty. I would pay for that convenience also.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I still have that $300 Mopar gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. What sorts of performance stuff can you get for $300 these days?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

why can't they just build everthing in to begin with. I'd still buy it. Now i have to pay twice+labor=three times. Rather just pay once. Why not have gearing designed that electronically switches 3.07/3.55 w/out penalty. I would pay for that convenience also.

Interesting idea.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about a CVT rear end? I don't think the technology is there yet, but someone will think of it sooner or later.

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As always its just a matter of time and money.
Mo money, less time.
Can we generate the market demand?
I'm sure some guys around here know how to run a business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang