More Motor Trend Bias

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't figure these magazines out (I know its all about ad dollars), Motor Trend has a test of the BEST HANDLING CARS from different categories and chooses the Z06 over the Viper to be included. EVERY test shows the Viper to be better around a track than the Z06 but who do they choose? GM's baby the Z06.

Here is what they say about both cars when choosing the finalists.

FINALIST: Chevy Corvette Z06-Who'd have thunk just a few years back that Chevy's blunt-instrument 'Vette could matriculate into a thoroughbred track star? But sure enough, replacing a steel chassis with a stiffer aluminum one, swapping carbon-fiber for fiberglass panels, and re-tuning the suspension to suit a 7.0-liter 505-horse engine, has made the Corvette Z06 a potential world-******.

Dodge Viper SRT10-Dodge has wrought a near miracle with the Viper. A comparatively light roadster with a gigantic 510-hp V-10 should be borderline undrivable. But by fitting similarly ginormous tires and tuning the suspension astutely, the Viper generates big grip numbers and reasonable track performance. But its overall demeanor remains a bit brutish and blunt by comparison with the best handlers.

The Viper has better grip, handling and G numbers but they choose the Corvette.

I'm tired of this bias.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck, at the track they kinda frown when you pass them. "But my Vette is supposed to be faster!":omg: :dunno:

:lmao: :drive: :lmao:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, but I'd still never own a vette. I like being the black sheep.

34% of Corvette owners are women. 7% for Vipers. FYI

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. Besides, do you want a bunch of guys who spend most of thier time behind the wheel of the latest SUV and mini-vans to like the way the Viper handles & drives? They like the 'vette 'cause it reminds them of the other two; polite, comfortable and unnoticable.:p

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the '08 hits with 600 HP, they'll still like the Vette cause they can go back to the "best bang for the buck" theory regardless of how the Viper performs.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did their decision not to include the Viper have anything to do with it not being in production for '07?

That's about the only ligitimate reason I can think of.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone catch the headline on the cover, best handeling car in america, and then they only have one american made car in the bunch. Also real big surprise they pick the Porche as the winner, it cost twice the amount of the second most expensive car in the test. The only thing missing from the article was their *** "gotta have it factor" so that they can forget about the the actual performance numbers and just pick the winner they want. Just a smoke and mirror show on paper.

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing missing from the article was their *** "gotta have it factor" so that they can forget about the the actual performance numbers and just pick the winner they want. Just a smoke and mirror show on paper.

there is alot more to a car than the performance figures it produces.

Alan Patterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand why the magazines don't pick the Viper as number one...
I do a lot of autocrossing. Handling is everything in this sport. For what it is worth, my new 06 Viper Coupe in street form was not competitive on any autocross course. I routinely got spanked by everything from Z06's to Miatas. The main problem was the run flat tires, but the OEM suspension (shocks/springs/alignment) was not good enough. The good news: with new shocks, springs, alignment, and DOT race tires, this Viper handles extremely well and is very, very competitive. I truly believe that the average driver (or racer) would choose a stock 2006 Z06 over a stock 2006 viper for handling. But once you upgrade a few things on the Viper, it becomes the best handling vehicle out there... and better than equally prepped competitors. I happen to think it is the best looking too...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand why the magazines don't pick the Viper as number one...
I do a lot of autocrossing. Handling is everything in this sport. For what it is worth, my new 06 Viper Coupe in street form was not competitive on any autocross course. I routinely got spanked by everything from Z06's to Miatas. The main problem was the run flat tires, but the OEM suspension (shocks/springs/alignment) was not good enough. The good news: with new shocks, springs, alignment, and DOT race tires, this Viper handles extremely well and is very, very competitive. I truly believe that the average driver (or racer) would choose a stock 2006 Z06 over a stock 2006 viper for handling. But once you upgrade a few things on the Viper, it becomes the best handling vehicle out there... and better than equally prepped competitors. I happen to think it is the best looking too...

Unless there are million dollar sponsorships for AutoXing participants... I hate to break it to you, it's just a hobby... a fun activity among wannabes (like myself). AutoX is designed for people who don't have access to a real track or a real racecar, or don't want the commitment of a racing team. Of course the Miata is going to run better at some AutoX courses than Vipers... a midget is going to limbo better than Michael Jordan. :rolleyes:

A Viper should be judged by what it does best... dominating a REAL race track. You look at REAL motorsports where Vipers are involved... restrictions abound and it STILL kicks butt. The mags cater to the dull and unimaginative... right where the Vette and porsches belong.

Alan Patterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless there are million dollar sponsorships for AutoXing participants... I hate to break it to you, it's just a hobby... a fun activity among wannabes (like myself). AutoX is designed for people who don't have access to a real track or a real racecar, or don't want the commitment of a racing team. Of course the Miata is going to run better at some AutoX courses than Vipers... a midget is going to limbo better than Michael Jordan. :rolleyes:

A Viper should be judged by what it does best... dominating a REAL race track. You look at REAL motorsports where Vipers are involved... restrictions abound and it STILL kicks butt. The mags cater to the dull and unimaginative... right where the Vette and porsches belong.
My point is that bone stock Gen 3 Vipers don't dominate the new stock Z06's or even some Porsches on the "Real" race tracks or in the quarter mile. Take a look at the data... However with even minor prep, the Vipers do kick butt as you said. I'm sure the Motor Trend "best handling car" tests were based on factory stock cars using "run crap tires", etc.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is that bone stock Gen 3 Vipers don't dominate the new stock Z06's or even some Porsches on the "Real" race tracks or in the quarter mile. Take a look at the data... However with even minor prep, the Vipers do kick butt as you said. I'm sure the Motor Trend "best handling car" tests were based on factory stock cars using "run crap tires", etc.

All I've been reading about are C6 Z06's breaking down on the tracks. :rolaugh:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is amazing how much better my 04 is simply by going to the new PS2's, significant enough to make consistent improvements in both 1/4 mile and track times. In addition, the Viper is going up against cars that have computer aided traction and computer aided stability control. Only a professional driver is going to be able to overcome those advantages of the other cars, all else being relatively equal. But this is all moot. The stock Gen 3's are 2002 technology going up against much later technology and upgrades of the new Porsche and Z06. The Gen 4 will smack the crap out of everything out there, right off the showroom floor...period. Now, most of us Gen 3 owners have modded our cars so that they do STILL dominate everything on the track, even against other modded cars. Bottom line, the Vipers are and always will be KING OF THE HILL!!

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've got an interesting photo of me in my GTS passing a Porsche and a Vette at Buttonwillow. The guy in the Vette looks like he's flipping me off, when in fact it's just a point by.

It is fun to pass them both.

Never put much stock in what Motor Trend or most of these rags have to say as advertising dollars seem to affect the outcomes of some of their tests.

Alan Patterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an interesting photo of me in my GTS passing a Porsche and a Vette at Buttonwillow. The guy in the Vette looks like he's flipping me off, when in fact it's just a point by.

It is fun to pass them both.

Never put much stock in what Motor Trend or most of these rags have to say as advertising dollars seem to affect the outcomes of some of their tests.
ViperX, I am just curious...what brand/type of tires were you using when you passed the Porsche & Vette?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was running Kumho Ecsta V-700's, shaved, on SSR Comp wheels. 305 front, 335 rear, both 18's. Very durable and sticky tires for the money. Call JonB at Parts Rack.

The event was Viper days at Buttonwillow in March of this year.

As for the comment above about stock Gen III Vipers not dominating at local race tracks, that's much more of a statement about driver skill level than the ability of the Gen III Viper in the race. I've seen a couple of drivers in stock Gen III Vipers "drive away" from many Porsche and Corvette street cars, including the new Z06 and Turbo 911's at Willow Springs, which is a very fast track.

And yes, I've also seen a bunch of the new C6 Z06's go home on trailers.

Last edited:

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is alot more to a car than the performance figures it produces.

True but article was not best fit/finish or best ride or best visibility or best ergonomics or best resale or best.................. It was "best handeling car in America" I don't know how you would judge this without the performance numbers (lat. rt/lt G, lap times, breaking distances, corner apex speeds, weight balance, etc.) being the major determining factor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang