Most durable tile flooring for garage??

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Inspired by PattyMelt and planning on doing my garage when the weather warms, I was wondering if people could give me input on flooring. I am looking for some thing stylish but obviously I want it to be very durable. Remember, here in PA. the floor will be subjected to salt and the elements as one of my bays is used for my daily driver. I am very handy and have worked construction during high school and college so difficulty is not an issue. YOur input is greatly appreciated! By the way, I think PattyMelts floor looks great!!!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Spring, I plan to do garages at my new house, and the floor is the one thing that I have been researching most.

We have a TV Studio, and we had the cement floor professional levelled, and prepped for a special epoxy type paint. (Now this is a number of years ago....hopefully things have gotten better.)

TO cut to the quick, despite the prep work, etc..the paint still lifted, especially when our production van was on the floor for a day or two. And, you could not bring it in with the tires hot.

I really like the new plastic tiles that look together, and the roll out mats. Either one can be cleaned/removed, hoses off, etc. Hot tires are no problem. Plus, the prep work isn;t even close to what you have to do with regular tiles.

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yes I have experience with the epoxy paint, and IMHO it *****. I was looking at doing some sort of tiling. My floor is wet poured and leveled, so all I would need to do it clean and prep it. I am thinking abouth either Ceramic tiling it or doing the type of tiling like PattyMelt did with the adhesive backing. Hey Matt, are you from the Holland PA. outside Richboro? If so we are very close!

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pattymelts floor actually is not adhesive backed... I have seen people use "adhesive backed" products and they pop up when you turn your front wheels..

now what he DOES have is VCT (vinyl composition tile). you actually spread the adheasive out on the floor like contact cement...

I have the exact same floor (armstrong VCT) in a 1000sq feet garage... after two years I have had to replace only three tiles which was my fault for dropping large sharp objects... beware of water though.. my wife and daughters have all busted their a$$es on many occasions when its wet..

I am currently researching a way to sand the floor and paint it with a clear version of ucoat-it (with a sand/grit additive for pedestrian traction)... I live in Kansas and we see our fair share of salt and sand in the winter... it destroys the finish.. but its not a big deal to repolish since the polishing products are basically "mop and glow"

Overall I have about $500 invested and it has lasted 2+ years... I just want to make it permanently shiney :2tu:

still researching strong clear epoxy products..... :bonker:

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
syldogRT/10...yep, that's the Holland PA. Once I am done with the house my fiancee and I bought, I'll move there..but that's only a mile away.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inspired by PattyMelt and planning on doing my garage when the weather warms, I was wondering if people could give me input on flooring. I am looking for some thing stylish but obviously I want it to be very durable. Remember, here in PA. the floor will be subjected to salt and the elements as one of my bays is used for my daily driver. I am very handy and have worked construction during high school and college so difficulty is not an issue. YOur input is greatly appreciated! By the way, I think PattyMelts floor looks great!!!

Thanks! :laugh: I would go with the VCT tile and on the side with your daily driver put down a G-floor mat and park on that.

http://www.bltllc.com/

Patrick

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
syldogRT/10...yep, that's the Holland PA. Once I am done with the house my fiancee and I bought, I'll move there..but that's only a mile away.

Cool. We'll have to get together and melt some rubber!

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my 3+ garage floor with Race Deck and absolutely love it. It has been down now for about 16 months and looks as good as it did when I put it down. I have one stall that the car is in and out every day and the salt and crap get tracked in on it and all I do is mop the floor once in a while. I do hate that but the reason I hate it is the garage door goes up and the heat escapes and the utility bill goes up because I keep my garage heated.
I will try and post some images if I can remember how to.
Rob :cool:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Compensating, I tiled my floor myself 7 yrs ago with white and black squares. The tiles are high quality that have the color going all the way through and are glued down. I have dropped hammers, burn marks with weld ****, Jack roller dents. I have painted 2 cars in my garage to where I could'nt see the color of the tiles from overspray. I rented a floor stripper machine and stripped the tiles clean then used 2 coats of commercial wax on them. The wax job lasts 2 years normal use and I mop the floor to clean it. I have used Epoxy paint on my floors before and IMO is a waste of time. It scratches, chips when something dropped and the studded tires on my drivers tears it up. When you try and touch it up it looks spotty and does'nt match. Tile only way to go.
2VipersGarage_002.jpg

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Compensating, I tiled my floor myself 7 yrs ago with white and black squares. The tiles are high quality that have the color going all the way through and are glued down. I have dropped hammers, burn marks with weld ****, Jack roller dents. I have painted 2 cars in my garage to where I could'nt see the color of the tiles from overspray. I rented a floor stripper machine and stripped the tiles clean then used 2 coats of commercial wax on them. The wax job lasts 2 years normal use and I mop the floor to clean it. I have used Epoxy paint on my floors before and IMO is a waste of time. It scratches, chips when something dropped and the studded tires on my drivers tears it up. When you try and touch it up it looks spotty and does'nt match. Tile only way to go.

studs in the tires would scratch any floor

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the input guys. HAs any one ever considered using a glazed ceramic tile? I would think it would be the easiest to clean but am worried that you would really have to seal the grout or it would stain. I have used silicone instead of grout on some wall applications but not sure how it would work on a floor. I'll keep you posted when I decide what to go with and I'll post some pics. Thanks again guys!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vinyl tile here.What the heck they use it in car showrooms and malls.Clean floor,patch cracks,start from center,glue down need to trim the edges with a rentable vinyl tile cutter.5 yrs now.No problems.Have it stripped,waxed and speed polished every couple of years.Went with white with light blue speckles.Mop it once in a while.Great shine.More slippery than ice when wet.Bought 1 xtra case for replacements and have used none.Probably spend around 500 bucks for a 2 car garage. GTS Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang