Moton Suspension Results

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finally finshed the install and I would have to say it took a total of 8-10 hours. It would not have aken so long if I had my lift (ordered yesterday). Anyway, I love the look, but may raise the front about 1/2" and the rear 3/4". I haven't had any issues with rubbing and hopefully I will not. I drove it around yesterday to get the springs to seat properly. Going to have it aligned tomorrow.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l31/Atomicairbrush/

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark it looks awesome. Got mine but havent had it istalled yet since I have been traveling. I should have it done in the next few weeks. Wow it looks low. What height is it set at? Are those the setting recommended by Mark at Woodhouse?

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark it looks awesome. Got mine but havent had it istalled yet since I have been traveling. I should have it done in the next few weeks. Wow it looks low. What height is it set at? Are those the setting recommended by Mark at Woodhouse?

I did it at the recommended settings, drove it a bit and it still sat too high for my tastes. It looked ok, but I wanted to be a little lower. Mark recommended that the bronze-colored spring perch to be about 2" to 1/2" from where the threads start at the bottom of the shock. I started at those measurements and worked my way down to the way it is now. I love the way it looks. It makes the car look 2 feet wider.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God I am jealous of you. I have the same car and I want Motons BAAAD. Do you hit the wheel wells or have problems with it that low? I will have to wait until next year. Looks amazing!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark how much did Mark J. ride height recommendations lower the car? I am in NY so I have to be careful regarding ride height so I want a happy medium.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problems as of yet, just trying to circumvent any future problems by raising it slightly. ViperDoug, I know exactly what you mean. When I saw pics of Gene's car (Hiss) last year, I knew I had to have that exact combo. I originally had a '97 b/w and I loved that car, so I was torn between the Gen 2 and the Gen 3. After seeng Hiss' car, he made up my mind for me. This is what a Viper should look like from the factory.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problems as of yet, just trying to circumvent any future problems by raising it slightly. ViperDoug, I know exactly what you mean. When I saw pics of Gene's car (Hiss) last year, I knew I had to have that exact combo. I originally had a '97 b/w and I loved that car, so I was torn between the Gen 2 and the Gen 3. After seeng Hiss' car, he made up my mind for me. This is what a Viper should look like from the factory.

Nader, Mark didn't say a certain inch in lowering, he just stated how far down to screw the spring perches.
You might want to give him a call, as he has other info on camber and toe-in adjustments.

I appreciate the compliments. To give you an idea of the the way it was before I added the Motons, here is a link to a conversation about my car along with a friend of mine's ZO6:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1661594

You may have to copy and paste in your browser window, as I tried the link and does not work.
They are all having fun and taking jabs at the Viper.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
LOOKS WICKED!

For those not wanting to click on the link:
3lowviper.jpg

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZO6KLR-happy for you-the Viper really looks great. Tremendous how to and nice pics.

What are your compression and rebound settings. Ive tried different settings-right now I am at #4 front and rear compression and rebound. When I take it to the track I will change the settings.

Had to raise some-to many scraping problems especially on rear diffusers.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hiss- My compression was 3 on the front but I changed it to 5, haven't driven yet to tell a difference. The rears are at 4 for the compression and the rebound is 3 all the way around. It will take a little monkeying around until I find the right combo.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got back from having the car aligned and the guys there said it really wasn't off that much from factory settings. The car rides and drives better than I had imagined, and the looks are like night and day. Exhaust seems louder (closer to ground). This is definitely money well spent!!

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader, I did not raise it. Didn't have to. I adjusted the compression setting a little stiff and it is perfect. When I crouch down and look at the side of the car, I can barely see the top of the tire. It is perfect.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark question - how did you fill the canisters with Nitrogen after the install? what pressure did you use? Did you need any special tools?

I am also planning on getting some custom brackets for the motons in the engine bay. I just dont like clamping them to the engine bay brace. I nice stainless steel bracket will look real nice...

Mine are going in in three weeks. Cant wait.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader, The resevoirs don't have to be disconnected unless it is more of a custom install, you just have to work around the engine components as there aren't many places to mount. Mark Jorgenson said that most of his installs involves locating the resevoirs in the wheel well.

Where are you going to try to mount yours?? Let me know about those custom brackets!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark for now I am going to mount mine in the same location as yours. After I have them in I want to make some kind of custom bracket to hold them in place rather then using clamps. Something like this:

9_14_06_997TT16.jpg

Dan Lesser said he could fabricate something like these. I was also thinking of giving MGW a call also to see what they can do.

By the way, I asked mark whether you need to disconnect the reservoirs from the shocks for the install and he mentioned that it does make it easier but what he also mentioned was since you need to pressurize the motons anyway, why not seperate them? He mentioned they dont come filled. Did you have to pressurize them yourself?

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know what the diameter of the Moton cans are, but billet clamps such as the one shown should be easily sourced from a road racing catalog. Look in catagories for various roll cage clamps or pillow blocks. Just a place to start.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like that should work. Definitely a bit more attractive than a worm clamp.

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

The Moton canisters do require pressurizing with nitrogen. The correct pressure should be 175# for most applications. The car looks great by the way. :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. You mentioned the need for a special valce to fill them. Can you point me in the direction of where to get it from?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Call Moton for the valve. I bought one from them and it works great.

You'll need a nitrogen cannister as well with an adjustable valve, hose and shrader fitting.

Car looks good. Just keep about 2 fingers minimum between the fender and the tire and you should be OK. I run 2 fingers front, 3 fingers rear and don't rub but we have some really nasty roads here in so Cal.

I started with 200 psi in the cannisters and went down to 175 as Mark said. My choice of spring rates are 500 front, 800 rear. The ride is much better than stock.

On the settings, try 2 compression / 4 rebound front and 3 /4 rear. These shocks are very sensitive, i.e., you can feel one click so take your time when adjusting.

Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the input Dan... That helps.

By the way, how did you mount your cannisters?