Motons On the Way

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered Motons, new springs, etc. from Archer Racing.

I'm having the folks at 3R install and tune them for me. (I figure if 3R is good enough for Tommy Archer, they'll do a fine job on my car.)

I will let you all know what I think after I get them installed and have a chance to drive on them.

Kai

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, Moton has street setup. It's more practical for street use, and much less expensive. What spring rate are you going with?

Skip White

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, Moton has street setup. It's more practical for street use, and much less expensive. What spring rate are you going with?

Skip White

I'm going with the Moton Club Sports. Less $$ than the full race version but still not cheap. Can't remember the spring rates (Archer told me, but I promptly forgot.) He recommended the springs, and I just followed his lead on that. I will check when I get the parts delivered.

Kai

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Kai,

Feedback would be great, I'm heading that way as well.

Dan

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will have a Penske setup for the SRT very soon, and at much less the cost. The quality is every bit as good, and at much less the cost.

Skip White

VIPERMIKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Moton setup and I love it, the car feels like It's gluded to the ground.(Untill someone pulls infront of you on PCH!)It lowers the car about 1.25".

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as helping wheel hop, this will depend on spring rate, and shock valving, but yes it could help somewhat, as I've said before, there are many factors to wheel hop. Suspension is definetly one of them.

Skip White

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Motons yesterday. I've driven them around town, and also driven them at the track.

Here's the full story on my suspension work:

I got the install done at 3r Racing.
They put in the Moton Club Sports, new Eibach springs (750 rear, and 500 front) and also replaced the stock sway bars with stiffer sway bars from the Comp Coupe. They lowered the car about 3/4 inch in the process. While they were messing with my suspension, they also put in brake ducting.

I picked the car up yesterday, and drove it to the track for a test and tune. The first thing I noticed is that the car handles bad roads better than it did before. Used to be that if I hit a big pothole, it was a major event. I could feel the reverb rattle my bones, and the car would shudder like I'd been hit. Driving to the track, I ran into some very torn up pavement. I drove over potholes with very little drama. I could still feel the road damage, but the car's balance and steering became much less upset by the bumps and holes.

At the track, I started out easy, not really knowing how the car would handle. After a while, I was able to ramp it up a bit. Turn in was very good, noticably better than the stock set up. Over one of the high speed sections, however, there is a bit of a bump. Taking that bump at speed caused the car to bounce and "trampoline" a bit more than it should. I pulled into the paddock and dialed in a little bit more rebound dampening. Back out on the track, the same section was much smoother, with minimal bounce. After adjustment, it seemed close to perfect for that particular track, but I'm going to continue to experiment with it anyway.

I'm going back to the track tomorrow, and am going to play with the suspension settings a bit more. I'm going to try various combinations of compression and rebound adjustments, and also try varying the settings front and rear. I'm going to mess with the settings and see how it affects the car on local roads too.

As for ease of adjustment, the compression is pretty easy to adjust. The compression adjustment is located on the cannisters. The front cannisters are mounted just forward of the engine within easy reach. The rear cannisters are mounted up under the body behind the wheel well. I have to lie on the ground and reach in behind the wheel to adjust the rear, but it is still relatively easy.
Rebound adjustment is a bit more involved. There is a wheel for adjustment (adjusted with a small allen wrench) that is located on top of the shock. You can't get to it easily because it it behind the tire. It isn't necessary to take off the wheel, but you do need to jack up the car to take the weight of the wheel. With the wheel unweighted, it hangs down far enough so that you can get your hand in the gap and make adjustments to the shock.

Overall, I am happy with the suspension tweaks. I think that I will be even happier as I begin to dial in particular settings for particular situations. Hopefully, by the time I'm done, I will have found settings I like for daily driving, for the track, for the drag strip, and for high-speed open road racing.
Right off the bat, however, the new suspension is already better than stock, in that it is a bit better at the track, and significantly better on rough roads.

Kai

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Skip has lots of good info, but I will disagree with him on the Penskes.They are good, and come from a great company, but the Motons are the way to go,and I commend you on your purchase -- you are right about 3R too!! Watching Tommy run many races last year, including the sterling run at Laguna Seca, the Archer boys got you the right set-up, and 3R will get you dialed in super. Nice to have a competent shop close to you in Colorado to do the set-up........have fun and maybe we will see you at Viper Days in May near Omaha ( Mid America Motorplex ).

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Kai. Have you noticed any change in wheel hop?

I spent three days last week at the track, testing various suspension settings. At first, there was too much wheel hop. I reduced the rebound stiffness, and now there is very little. The key seems to be keeping the rebound setting a click below the compression setting. This happens to be the opposite of what the Moton Club Sport instructions indicate (they recommend starting off with a rebound setting higher than compression.)

The Motons have 6 settings for compression and rebound. 1 is softest, 6 is stiffest. I initially set up 3 and 3. It wasn't quite as responsive as I wanted. Then I upped the rebound to 4. This led to increased wheel hop. After quite a bit of experimentation, I upped the compression to 4 and lowered the rebound to 3. On a relatively smooth track, this seems to be the ideal setting for my springs and sway bars. I think that with sticky track tires, I could possibly increase the stiffnes even more, but with the OEM runflats, this setting provides the best cornering and overall handling. With the new sway bars, the stiffer springs, and these shock settings, the car handles really really well. The track I was on is very twisty, a real test of handling. I was keeping up with cars running on racing slicks through the curves, and not having any trouble doing it. Cornering is really flat now, and the car gets less unsettled under heavy braking too. A friend of mine, who is a professional driving instructor, drove the car and was very impressed with the new suspension when compared with the stock suspension (and he really liked the stock set up.)

One thing I noticed is that I really tore my tires up more than usual during my track sessions. I'm not quite sure why this happened. I certainly seem to have much improved grip, so perhaps the new suspension is working the tires harder.

The track settings are a bit stiff for everyday driving. I've found that the best setting for the rough roads around my home seems to be Compression 3, Rebound 2. Cornering and handling is still excellent, and the ride is more comfortable. I'm thinking that this might also be the best setting for open road racing, where I need to absorb bumps at high speeds and I'm not dealing with super tight hairpin corners. I've got to do a bit more high speed highway driving before I reach any firm conclusions here, however.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We appreciate your providing all this valuable feedback Kai! As for me, you just moved Motons to the top of my next-mods list. :2tu: Thanks!

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same for me (next mod). Does anybody have anything to say about some brand called 'American Eagle' or so? A neighbor of mine wants to sell these with 500 miles on them saying that he goes for Penske ($4k setup). I think he said that these eagles are coilovers too, the price would be like $900 or so. Anybody?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te