Motor clacks when cold.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my '00 ACR, when starting in the morning, the motor has a loud knocking that goes completely away after about 10min's of driving.
The longer the car sits, the louder the initial knocking.
The engine has the T&D roller rockers.
Any guesses as to what's wrong.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may just be the delay in the oil getting up to the lifters and rockers. But it should go away quicker than 10 mins though.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may not be it but here's what I think,

My guess is a bad lifter caused by the larger ratio TDs.

Try to isolate it to left or right valve cover.

Remove valve cover. Let engine cool. The rocker attached to the bad lifter should have large clearance.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of your rocker arms is loose (not even adjusted for zero lash). The pushrods grow slightly when they heat up, that it why the noise goes away after 10 minutes. With the engine cold, it should be very apparent which one it is by trying to move each pushrod up/down with the lifter on the base circle of the cam. The movement will be slight, but the one that is too loose will have movement.

BTW, I wouldn't drive your car until you fix this. That noise is a warning that something is wrong.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,
I've never worked on my Viper so I can't help you on the lifter removal. I'm sure that it will not come out through the pushrod holes in the head if that's what you mean.

Someone will come along and tell you.

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Befor you go and remove your lifters try this. I put a set of T&D's on a while ago and my car is not driven often , everytime i started it there would be lifter noise sometimes long sometimes short but it was annoying and not right.
When i upgraded the fuel injector clips with the Roe charger Sean told me they were adjusting the rockers down about a turn and a half and were actualy making a little more power . I adjusted them down from one turn to one and a half , i then cranked it over and oil was still flowing good to the rockers .
Ever since i have not had any noise and i can leave it sit for weeks.

OP
OP
T

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a pretty comprehensive rocker adjustment procedure on this board that I printed and followed specifically last Fall. With instructions on how to rig a starter clicking switch. I think it helped for a while.
Either way its now at the shop getting the front frame properly repaired. I didn't realize it was an accidented car that wasn't properly repaired. Since it was a Florida car, it needed to be inspected to be registered in Quebec.
It turned out to be so croocked that the mechanic asked me how it even went straight. The shop discovered that they had actually bent the undamaged rear section of the frame when trying to straighten the front end on the Framemaster.
I bought the car here from a French-canadian snowbird(Summers here Winters Florida) who owned a Florida dealership.
Anyway, Gone in 60sec. is on the TV and the girfriend is busting me to get off the computer.
Later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang