Motor to arrow....Any advice??

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My babied 00 GTS is having motor sent to Arrow for rebuild. Serpentine belt kept slipping off. Tech installed new belt and tensioner to no avail. Took measurements and found crank shifted towards front of car with pulley ....throwing belt off alignment! Sounds like the least of my problems. Anyways, at least it is wintertime because rebuild will take appx. 8 weeks. Anyone have experience with this on a later model GTS? Advice/comments appreciated. Anyone get a loaner vehicle for the meantime?

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Er...the business I own is called Arrow Motorsport, Inc.

Yeah I'll take care of your engine...it'll end up in a 76 Gran Fury cop car or something ;-)

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not be disappointed with the Arrow rebuild. My 2000 ACR fell victim to the cylinder wall problem causing it to burn a lot of oil. After the motor came back from Arrow and was installed the car ran like a bat out of hell. The car ran an 11.98 at 122 after the break in period. It picked up about 14RWHP on the dyno to!!!

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking... but this is all covered under warranty for you guys, right? I can't imagine unloading another $15k on the car just a year or two after buying it!

And hey - at least D-C honors their warranty work. I had to fight tooth and nail to get GM to stand by their product.

Alan Patterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only advice is to check your spark plugs for tightness once the motor is returned... Arrow did a rebuild on my 96 RT-10 several years ago and during my first trip after the dealer reinstall, a spark plug was "launched" while driving down the freeway! (never found it) I was shocked to find that the all 5 plugs on the passenger side of the motor were only finger tight. Luckily no lasting damage was done by their mistake.

OP
OP
G

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All covered under warranty. Basic 3/36 still in force. But car has only 5k miles and has truely been babied. Just one of those things I guess. Will arrow install any high performance parts as part of rebuild if I cover cost or will I get OEM parts? Would like to add a set of forged pistons for possible future forced induction since motor will be apart anyways.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I know, it goes back to factory specs and parts, they dyno it to make sure it meets factory specs, then they send it back, better than new. Don't know about adding aftermarket parts, probably not, because it might affect the warranty. Comes back stronger than new.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take any "upgraded" parts off your engine before sending it. When I had to send mine in they swapped my polished parts. They "exchanged" my throttle bodies, oil filler cap, 2 day old Magnacore wires and several little pieces and put used stock parts back on. I even confronted them with pictures of the motor in the shipping box and a statement from the tech and they still denied that they kept them. The engine runs great but it set me back about $700 in aftermarket parts. So beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder how these guys dyno the rebuilt engines without violating their own recommended break in? I know they dyno them and they must know what they are doing. It just seems like a hard dyno pull right after all new bearings and rings, would be a bad thing to do.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wonder about that! How do they dyno for 2 hours and yet when we recieve the engine we have another break in procedure?

Anyone know?

Tomer

tradin1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was shipped off two weeks ago, hope to have it back in three to four more weeks.

oh yeah, and I got a rent a car for 14 days, just took it back today as a matter of fact. They wouldn't authorise more than the 14 days, so I took advantage of what the offered.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI Grayman, first of all forget about a loaner car, it ain't gonna happen. Check your driver door jam and make sure the build date on your '00 is AFTER 11/99 otherwise you may wanna consider the cylinder wall replacement. Arrow did my '00 and did a VERY good job. After the dealer pulls the motor and crates it for shipping have them flatbed your car back to you on their dime. They don't want your car there taking up space for 8 weeks and you'll be more comfortable with it in your garage, they did it for me and BTW it took 9 1/2 weeks for mine to come back. Insist on a work order # they give (mine was YV603104) and then insist on a completion report, they gave me a hard time on this but I got one, among other things they replaced:

crankshaft
camshaft
lifters
piston/rod assemblies
timing chain
2 exhaust/1 intake valves
water pump
rod/main bearings
gaskets/seals ect.

Dyno, compression and leakdown tests.
PM me with a ph. # if you want more info.

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Cal what was the problem with the cylinder wall? I have a 2000 motor in my car and I feel it should be stronger. Is this cylinder wall problem a common problem among this year? Jim

OP
OP
G

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt have powered metal cylinder liners as my 00 was built late 00, but here was the problem. Crank pulley sheared keyway in end of crankshaft. While this doesnt affect interior engine components, the crank has to be removed to be machined or replaced. Dodge will replace instead of machining. Unusual problem according to dealer. Anyway , Arrow will do a complete overhaul since engine will be apart anyway. Lucky for me it is the dead of winter here and I dont drive the car much anyways.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you may want to check with youre dealer as youre car does not have a keyway,just make sure they are not looking for something that is not supposed to be there

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, the first 200 or so Vipers built in the model '00 year had powdered metallic piston sleeves. You can check your door jam for your build date, if it was 11/99 or earlier you have this material on your piston sleeves. The material was TOO hard and the rings did not seat properly in some cars causing major oil burning (a quart every 150 miles in my case). The fix was a major rebuild at Arrow.